"Dr Sleep" the movie

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't initially very interested in this movie because I figured it would focus on totally on the novel by Stephen King (which of course makes sense).

But the previews have won me over since they revisit many of the scenes made famous by Stanley Kubrick's version of "The Shining", which in my opinion was superior to the version Stephen King penned.

Both Stephen King and the Kubrick estate signed off on the screen play, which surprised me.

I think King has come to realize Kubrick's version wasn't so bad after all.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I wasn't initially very interested in this movie because I figured it would focus on totally on the novel by Stephen King (which of course makes sense).

But the previews have won me over since they revisit many of the scenes made famous by Stanley Kubrick's version of "The Shining", which in my opinion was superior to the version Stephen King penned.

Both Stephen King and the Kubrick estate signed off on the screen play, which surprised me.

So this is a sequal to the Shining?

joseephuss

Reaction score

Has King ever turned down an offer to make one of his works into a movie or tv show? I know he didn't like the film version of The Shining, but King has pretty much any and everyone try to turn his stories into a visual media.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been thinking of the good adaptions of King's work to either the big or small screen...

There aren't many that I believe to do a great job of it.

Salem's Lot for sure.
Misery– Yeah.
Thinner? Could be.
Dead Zone? That's a consideration.
Pet Sematary (original version)– Yeah.
It (original version)– Yep.
Green Mile– Yes.
Stand by Me– Yes.

I can't list Kubrick's Shining, The Mist or Shawshank because they weren't true adaptions.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I've been thinking of the good adaptions of King's work to either the big or small screen...

Salem's Lot for sure.
Misery– Yeah.
Thinner? Could be.
Green Mile– Yes.
Stand by Me– Yes.

I can't list Kubrick's Shining, The Mist or Shawshank because they weren't true adaptions.

Cujo, Carrie, Running Man, Cat's Eye, COTC, & Silver Bullet I enjoyed when I was younger. Some of them do not stand the test of time, though.

I tried to watch IT (original) recently and it's pretty much unwatchable now.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

Salem's Lot for sure.
Misery– Yeah.
Thinner? Could be.
Green Mile– Yes.
Stand by Me– Yes.

i liked dead zone. but then i loved the book.

firestarter had some potential but it certainly wasn't as good as the book.

quickccc

Reaction score
i just hope this is not going to be another teaser movie trailer preview where the trailers make it look as good than what it really turns out to be.

and it's maybe just me, but i don't always buy into " critics reviews or what rotten tomatoes always say. how many movies have we seen where we heard bad review but yet when we took a chance on it, ..it ended up being surprisingly better than what we were hearing as far as reviews .:p

quickccc

Reaction score
Gotta say I like "Silver Bullet".

The trouble is that it strikes me more like a "made for TV movie" that it does a theatrically released movie.

check my fav horror movies ever thread for favorite werewolf movies. this one is one of top ones.
i like the chase scenes, the rip and slaughter vs hunters scene, the final battle at the end and like it being involved and
surrounded a wheel chair bound kid who is trying vigoriously to convince doubters about his werewolf stalker.
With bloody heads being swiped in the air by a wolf claw, i never had impression of a TV movie ...lol :D

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
check my fav horror movies ever thread for favorite werewolf movies. this one is one of top ones.
i like the chase scenes, the rip and slaughter vs hunters scene, the final battle at the end and like it being involved and
surrounded a wheel chair bound kid who is trying vigoriously to convince doubters about his werewolf stalker.
With bloody heads being swiped in the air by a wolf claw, i never had impression of a TV movie ...lol :D

The cinematography and production values felt small to me– more like what you would see from a "made for TV flick."

timb2

Reaction score
Saw "Doctor Sleep" yesterday. Solid B + but not as good as Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining"...They say Stephen King never liked Kubrick's version of "The Shining",but I think King is wrong.

quickccc

Reaction score
i was surprised to hear that MIDWAY actually beat out Doctor Sleep in the first weekend box office debut. Hype was built up over Sleep , while Midway was barely advertised on television .. but it didnt matter because many wanted to see a Pearl Harbor war film over a horror film

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Salem's Lot for sure.
Misery– Yeah.
Thinner? Could be.
Green Mile– Yes.
Stand by Me– Yes.

How can you guys leave out Maximum Overdrive?!?!?!

They made a remake with Poindexter from Revenge of the Nerds, but it sucked.