"Dr Sleep" the movie

triplets_93

Reaction score
I wasn't initially very interested in this movie because I figured it would focus on totally on the novel by Stephen King (which of course makes sense).

But the previews have won me over since they revisit many of the scenes made famous by Stanley Kubrick's version of "The Shining", which in my opinion was superior to the version Stephen King penned.

Both Stephen King and the Kubrick estate signed off on the screen play, which surprised me.

I think King has come to realize Kubrick's version wasn't so bad after all.

I'm a fan of Kubrick's movie... that's it.

The Wendy Theory !!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One film adapted from his novels that he did like was "The Mist". He thought the ending was a twist on all of the horror he could muster, even better than the supermarket, the true horror.

I did not see this in the theater but my older son did and he said he'd never seen an audience stunned like that. The guy behind him yelled out "that's not how it ended"!

How can any writer so dependent on what the mind can conjure ever be happy with a filmed version?

The only film I have ever seen that exceeded my own imagination with a creature was "Alien". I read the book from the screenplay the week before seeing it and honestly had difficulty wrapping my mind around just what this creature was. HR Geiger fixed that. Glad I didn't have that man's nightmares.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
I am not a Stephen King fan or a big fan of "The Shining". When I first saw Dr. Sleep I did not realize what it was about until the end. I thought most of the movie was pretty good. Rebecca Ferguson is HOT, even as a bad guy!. But I thought the end of the movie got a little cheesy.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One film adapted from his novels that he did like was "The Mist". He thought the ending was a twist on all of the horror he could muster, even better than the supermarket, the true horror.

I did not see this in the theater but my older son did and he said he'd never seen an audience stunned like that. The guy behind him yelled out "that's not how it ended"!

How can any writer so dependent on what the mind can conjure ever be happy with a filmed version?

The only film I have ever seen that exceeded my own imagination with a creature was "Alien". I read the book from the screenplay the week before seeing it and honestly had difficulty wrapping my mind around just what this creature was. HR Geiger fixed that. Glad I didn't have that man's nightmares.
Every book I have read before later watching the movie always made the movie feel more like an extended trailer for the book, not a visual representation of it.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Dr. Sleep was a great book, and the movie is almost completely faithful until the last act where it pays homage to the Kubrick Shining. Not in a bad way.

The movie has some great scenes in it. I especially love how they depict the villain’s psychic powers as she searches the world for targets.

Highly recommend it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every book I have read before later watching the movie always made the movie feel more like an extended trailer for the book, not a visual representation of it.
Agree but the difference with the "Alien", the film came before the book. He actually wrote the book from the screenplay, which was the only time I'd heard of that and he first wrote the story with a partner and sold it, then wrote the screenplay and then the book and the book was released a week before the film.

I am usually a sci-fi creature feature nerd and as I read that book, it actually freaked me about how they would depict what I was reading.

Dan O'Bannon, the author was reportedly the one that suggested they muddy the audio a little to heighten the tension and have the audience lean toward the screen, a natural reaction. And it was by design that there was no humor relief. It was a descent into pure horror from the opening scenes set up and a film that stayed with me longer than any I ever watched, even "Saving Private Ryan".

The scene where the Alien first shows up while they're having dinner sent about 30 people up the aisle in a sold out show and few returned. It was magical.