Dr. Z blurb... How heated was the debate on Michael Irvin?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
SI.com: How heated was the debate on Michael Irvin?

Dr. Z: Very heated. I think some people just didn't like him. But for me, it was just too logical that he belonged in. He was the do-it-all receiver for a three-time champion. He could catch anything. He was a leader who helped get the team to work hard. He blocked. He was tough. And he never had any help at the other receiver position. Maybe his numbers weren't as big as some others, but the Cowboys had Emmitt Smith, so of course they weren't going to throw that much.

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
Hmmm, you could almost say the same thing about a certain receiver that was denied again.

Congrats on Irvin though. He's grown on me over the years he's been working with espn. I believe he's a class act now and has changed his ways. He showed a lot of class today and has really won me over.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
My thought has always been, if Lynn Swann is in with what 350 catches, there is no reasonable argument for keeping Irvin out.

Gordon

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1356775 said:
My thought has always been, if Lynn Swann is in with what 350 catches, there is no reasonable argument for keeping Irvin out.

If Lynn Swann was the measure for a HOF WR it would be way overcrowded :)

random Cs

Reaction score
Swann is in the HOF because of one catch.

calico

Reaction score
I have come to respect and understand Irvin alot more since his retirement. I never really knew just how valuable he really was until he was gone.

Everytime I watch an old game tape from the '90s, I sit in amazment with what he could do.

Irvin should have been a first ballot HOFer and the haters who don't think so can kiss my ***.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
bbgun;1356692 said:
And he never had any help at the other receiver position.

I'm not saying anything against our playmaker, but this statement is just ********. I guess they think Alvin Harper just sucked, Harp was a great complementary receiver when he was there and we had our best seasons with him there with Irvin. Teams feared there size and speed and K-Mart and K-Dub did good jobs also. Again Irvin was great and deserving for the HoF but that statement just pissed me off.

calico

Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1356792 said:
I'm not saying anything against our playmaker, but this statement is just ********. I guess they think Alvin Harper just sucked, Harp was a great complementary receiver when he was there and we had our best seasons with him there with Irvin. Teams feared there size and speed and K-Mart and K-Dub did good jobs also. Again Irvin was great and deserving for the HoF but that statement just pissed me off.

exactly. Harper was the ONLY help Irvin had until The Rocket came to Dallas. The Rocket freed Irvin up and he sadly seemed rejuvinated in those last few games before he broke his neck :bang2:

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
Gordon;1356781 said:
If Lynn Swann was the measure for a HOF WR it would be way overcrowded :)

Ain't that the truth. It's a joke that him and Stalworth are in.

If they wanted to honor Steelers receivers from those teams they should get Conan O'brien to do one of those "If they mated" pics of Swann and Stalworth and make a bust out of that.

Combining their stats doesn't add up to some of the players in the HOF. Ridiculous.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Using the worst stats guy as the benchmark is not meaningful way to make decisions

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Way 'nuff;1356797 said:
Ain't that the truth. It's a joke that him and Stalworth are in.

Neither deserves it - but to use that to justify other weak players getting in is silly

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
abersonc;1356800 said:
Neither deserves it - but to use that to justify other weak players getting in is silly

I'm not justifying any other weak players getting in.

I'm saying Monk and Irvin belong. I always thought Irvin has...and I've even seen a few Cowboys fans around here say that Monk does, too.

Stallworth, Swan. Signature catches don't make the Hall. Irvin doesn't have one.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
As pointed out earlier Andre Reed has better stats then Art Monk, but there is no Outrage over him being passed over. 6 times the Pro Football writers passed on Monk, that should tell you something!.:redwhine:

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1356820 said:
As pointed out earlier Andre Reed has better stats then Art Monk, but there is no Outrage over him being passed over. 6 times the Pro Football writers passed on Monk, that should tell you something!.:redwhine:

Reed didn't win any rings. And honestly, I don't care about him since I'm not a Bills fan. If he gets in, fine, if he doesn't, I won't lose sleep.

However, there's a reason why the espn.com poll showed almost the entire country (even Texas and NY) stating that Monk deserves to be in.

I'm sorry, but this isn't about Cowboys vs. Commanders anymore. Cowboys vs. Commanders happens twice a year. The HOF is about rewarding greatness no matter what jersey they player wore.

I may hate the Cowboys, you may hate the Skins...yet I have no problem with recognizing the greatness of Aikman, Irvin, Smith and others.

Peter King's revelation about Monk was covered awhile ago, he's finally seen the light and changed his tune. However the most telling quote from that feature was this:

"You guys are running the risk of becoming irrelevant,'' Colts GM Bill Polian told me. As general manager of the Bills in their glory years, Polian saw Reed's importance to Buffalo's four Super Bowl teams, and he calls it "disgraceful'' that Reed hasn't been elected. "You're just like the U.S. Congress, with all the bickering and infighting and 'if this guy doesn't get in I won't vote for that guy' stuff. You can't get the right thing done.''

I just argued against Stallworth and Swann because it's so damn easy to do so.

However when you start talking about greats like Reed, Irvin, Monk...you may hate their teams, but at least be able to sack up and recognize greatness.

AmishCowboy

Reaction score
Why are you here then?, Your Beef is with the Pro Football writers, You Fans come to a Cowboys site and cry about Monk, we don't care, it's not our problem. Of course we are Homers it's a Cowboys site. Quit comparing Irvin and Monk, He didn't make the vote 4 times before Irvin was on the Ballot.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
Way 'nuff;1356774 said:
Hmmm, you could almost say the same thing about a certain receiver that was denied again.

Congrats on Irvin though. He's grown on me over the years he's been working with espn. I believe he's a class act now and has changed his ways. He showed a lot of class today and has really won me over.
your not talking about Monk?

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1356847 said:
Why are you here then?, Your Beef is with the Pro Football writers, You Fans come to a Cowboys site and cry about Monk, we don't care, it's not our problem. Of course we are Homers it's a Cowboys site. Quit comparing Irvin and Monk, He didn't make the vote 4 times before Irvin was on the Ballot.

Dude, are you Amish? What are you doing using a computer? And where am I crying? I'm stating a case. And if you're confusing that with crying...

And I've also never said Irvin didn't deserve it. I definitely think he does.

If you actually took the time to read my last post you'll quickly realize that I don't think Reed should be compared to Irvin and Irvin should be compared to Monk or Monk should be compared to Reed. Look at the Polian quote again.

AmishCowboy

Reaction score
Why are you selling your case here?. You are not going to get any support on a Cowboys message board.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1356792 said:

Alvin Harper was Alvin Harper because of Irvin demanding attention, once Harper went to Tampa to be the man, he regressed, and it's not like he was putting up eye-popping #s in Dallas anyways