Dr. Z blurb... How heated was the debate on Michael Irvin?

arglebargle

Reaction score
summerisfunner;1356897 said:
Alvin Harper was Alvin Harper because of Irvin demanding attention, once Harper went to Tampa to be the man, he regressed, and it's not like he was putting up eye-popping #s in Dallas anyways

Yeah, Harper would make a circus catch every two or three games, but he'd drop easy ones, and never caught a lot consistently. He disappeared once he left the Cowboys.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1356792 said:
I'm not saying anything against our playmaker, but this statement is just ********. I guess they think Alvin Harper just ****ed, Harp was a great complementary receiver when he was there and we had our best seasons with him there with Irvin. Teams feared there size and speed and K-Mart and K-Dub did good jobs also.

Maybe he was just referring to the fact that from 1991 until 1998, our No. 2 receiver had more than 40 catches ONE time -- Anthony Miller had 46 catches in 1997. In Irvin's breakout season of 1991, he had 93 catches, and our No. 2 receiver had only 20. There was no John Taylor or Reggie Wayne or Muhsin Muhammad that defenses had to worry about.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Way 'nuff;1356852 said:
Dude, are you Amish? What are you doing using a computer? And where am I crying? I'm stating a case. And if you're confusing that with crying...

And I've also never said Irvin didn't deserve it. I definitely think he does.

If you actually took the time to read my last post you'll quickly realize that I don't think Reed should be compared to Irvin and Irvin should be compared to Monk or Monk should be compared to Reed. Look at the Polian quote again.

I've been watching Cowboys games since 1971-72-ish. I grew up HATING the 'skins. I hated the teams, not the men playing the game, a very important distinction taught to me be my parents early on.

I wish Art Monk was in, and had been in a few years ago, he clearly deserves it. He was a major contributor on 3 different SB champions. He has performance and endurance and championships, usually HOF-ers have 1 or 2, but rarely all three.

If I had a vote Art Monk would have been in second or third try.

Where's "Bullet" Bob Hays?

sago1

Reaction score
I'm a Cowboy fan and I also think Monk should be in. It's fine to hate our opponents cause they are our competition for the SB. But hating should stop when it comes time to elect HOF players & we should certainly be mature enough to recognize greatness whenever it comes along. I support Monk as a HOF player & would like to apologize to those posting on this board who aren't here to hate us but to simply post on this board -- which admittedly is weird but whatever suits you. Of course I lived in the Washington, D.C. area and saw plenty of Monk during his hayday. I great WR and a class act. Hope he makes it next year and glad to read that one of our writers has come around.

BTW: Down the road I would certainly hope others share my view in NFL cities around the country and won't hold some of the comments made about Monk against Emmitt and Larry Allen when their time comes along. Both should be first round entrants to the HOF.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
bbgun;1356692 said:
SI.com: How heated was the debate on Michael Irvin?

Dr. Z: Very heated. I think some people just didn't like him. But for me, it was just too logical that he belonged in. He was the do-it-all receiver for a three-time champion. He could catch anything. He was a leader who helped get the team to work hard. He blocked. He was tough. And he never had any help at the other receiver position. Maybe his numbers weren't as big as some others, but the Cowboys had Emmitt Smith, so of course they weren't going to throw that much.

I'm sure most debates on inductees are heated. Congrats to Mike. He very much deserved it.

burmafrd

Reaction score
LA and Emmitt pretty much dominated in their primes- and Emmitt has the alltime record. There is really no one who can come up with any logical argument against them. To compare them to Monk is a joke. MONK NEVER DOMINATED AT ANY TIME.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Irvin had been a Stealer, he would have been a first ballot HOFer.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Well I may be a little biased, but I had better see Bob Hayes & Drew Pearson inducted before Art Monk. period

Monk deserves to be in but there are still a couple of Cowboy receivers that should preceed him.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Cbz40;1357006 said:
Well I may be a little biased, but I had better see Bob Hayes & Drew Pearson inducted before Art Monk. period

Monk deserves to be in but there are still a couple of Cowboy receivers that should preceed him.
I think the way the Super Bowls got Swann in the Ice Bowl game keeps Bob Hayes out.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
jimmy40;1357014 said:
I think the way the Super Bowls got Swann in the Ice Bowl game keeps Bob Hayes out.

and that's why at times ( when things don't go my way) I think the HOF is a crock of whatever. :) Hayes should have gone in before Swann.

notherbob

Reaction score
There is a huge credibility hole in the middle of their football-shaped dome and will continue to be until Bob Hayes is finally voted in. Arguments can be made for Drew Pearson and Art Monk, but how anyone can deny the best receiver in the game for a decade is beyond me. He was the most feared player in the game the whole time he played. I saw him catch four TDs against the Eagles one day.

The selection committee is a disgrace and should be too embarrassed to show face in public.

JMO

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'm not saying anything against our playmaker, but this statement is just ********. I guess they think Alvin Harper just sucked, Harp was a great complementary receiver when he was there and we had our best seasons with him there with Irvin. Teams feared there size and speed and K-Mart and K-Dub did good jobs also. Again Irvin was great and deserving for the HoF but that statement just pissed me off.

1. How long did Harper help Irvin out?

2. How bad was Harper once he left Dallas? Since Harper was such a non-factor once he left Dallas, you could reason that he really wasn't very good and Irvin carried him.

YAKUZA

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1357145 said:
1. How long did Harper help Irvin out?

2. How bad was Harper once he left Dallas? Since Harper was such a non-factor once he left Dallas, you could reason that he really wasn't very good and Irvin carried him.

YAKUZA

Having seen Harper in DC after his day in Dallas....Yes, Irvin carried him.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
I'm not saying anything against our playmaker, but this statement is just ********. I guess they think Alvin Harper just sucked, Harp was a great complementary receiver when he was there and we had our best seasons with him there with Irvin. Teams feared there size and speed and K-Mart and K-Dub did good jobs also. Again Irvin was great and deserving for the HoF but that statement just pissed me off.

Once Harper left, Dallas had a hard time finding a good WR opposite Irvin. Williams was better suited to 3rd WR. Martin left via FA for a while as well. Remember the days of Billy Davis, Anthony Miller and Ernie Mills? When they finally signed Rocket, the offense was going great for the first few games of 1999 until Irvin went down to injury.

burmafrd

Reaction score
If Irvin had not gotten injured, 99 could have been another top year. The D was solid, if not as good as earlier, and the O line was good enough. AIkman and Emmitt were still tops, and Irvin and Rocket together were deadly. We only missed having a good TE- that was the chink in our offensive armor.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Way 'nuff;1356774 said:
Hmmm, you could almost say the same thing about a certain receiver that was denied again.

Congrats on Irvin though. He's grown on me over the years he's been working with espn. I believe he's a class act now and has changed his ways. He showed a lot of class today and has really won me over.

Dude I feel ya and I think Monk should be in BUT take your whinning back to ES.

Mansta54

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1356847 said:
Why are you here then?, Your Beef is with the Pro Football writers, You Fans come to a Cowboys site and cry about Monk, we don't care, it's not our problem. Of course we are Homers it's a Cowboys site. Quit comparing Irvin and Monk, He didn't make the vote 4 times before Irvin was on the Ballot.

Nuff said!!!!:hammer:

tunahelper

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1356847 said:
Why are you here then?, Your Beef is with the Pro Football writers, You Fans come to a Cowboys site and cry about Monk, we don't care, it's not our problem. Of course we are Homers it's a Cowboys site. Quit comparing Irvin and Monk, He didn't make the vote 4 times before Irvin was on the Ballot.

Ditto!

Well stated...

:starspin site

Reaction score
If after what we know about each of them and having watched them played, anyone thinks that Art Monk was remotely close to being the wide receiver that Michael Irvin was they need their head examined. I'm so tired of this argument. For about 90% of Art's career he wasn't even the best wide receiver on his own team.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
BTW,

How great is it to have one more of Tom Landry's players in the HOf!:bow:

I guess there is only 1 non-Landry era Cowboy in the HOF.:D