Draft David Mongtomery in Round 2

J12B

Reaction score
And let Zeke walk after his 5th year.

David Montgomery is even worth trading up for in the 2nd round if needed.

Montgomery would provide premium insurance if Zeke happens to go down and would be a good replacement once Zeke's contract expires. This move would also save Dallas from having to give Zeke the top contract for a running back when a new deal is needed ($15-$17 million APY) and the front office can continue to properly manage the cap while signing other key players.

Per NFL.com, "The Cyclones star (Montgomery) forced 100 missed tackles in 2018 (most in the FBS), according to Pro Football Focus, and knows how to finish runs. He has a pro-ready game with good patience, vision and natural hands."

He reminds me a lot of David Johnson.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a hardcore fan and usually don't complain much about what the front office does in an attempt to build a good team. BUT,
if the Cowboys move up in the 2nd (our first pick) to draft a RB, I'll be pissed! If we're drafting anything other than a DT, DE, or
safety in the 2nd, I'll be really mad!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting, improve the offense over the defense in anticipation of not having to pay a RB 13-15M.

Which was better in 2018, the D or the O? And which needs the most improvement?

The only hitch in that is they need a player to contribute from the getgo, not backup. There will be RB's next year as well because some college coaches still like to run the rock. And I would not even consider giving Elliott a 2nd contract, just too much money.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Given Zeke age and clean bill of health I would stay with him and address other areas with top picks

GenoT

Reaction score

Montgomery would provide premium insurance if Zeke happens to go down and would be a good replacement once Zeke's contract expires. This move would also save Dallas from having to give Zeke the top contract for a running back when a new deal is needed ($15-$17 million APY) and the front office can continue to properly manage the cap while signing other key players.

Per NFL.com, "The Cyclones star (Montgomery) forced 100 missed tackles in 2018 (most in the FBS), according to Pro Football Focus, and knows how to finish runs. He has a pro-ready game with good patience, vision and natural hands."

And why fans will never be NFL GMs...
:muttley::facepalm:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a hard time letting the 4rth overall pick go especially since he appears to be a HOF talent...
I don't think he will play long enough for the HOF and they will have gotten their use out of that 4th pick if they keep running him. If he doesn't get injured first.

A team does not to have a HOF or even elite RB to be effective, both NE and NO were top 5 in rushing but didn't have a back in the top 15. Of the top 10 rushers last season, 3 made it to the playoffs and 1 of those to the SB and was a non-factor in the playoffs.

Every team needs to be able to run the ball when they need to but none of them needs a RB in the top3 3 paid at that position and the Rams are going to regret that.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think he will play long enough for the HOF and they will have gotten their use out of that 4th pick if they keep running him. If he doesn't get injured first.

A team does not to have a HOF or even elite RB to be effective, both NE and NO were top 5 in rushing but didn't have a back in the top 15. Of the top 10 rushers last season, 3 made it to the playoffs and 1 of those to the SB and was a non-factor in the playoffs.

Every team needs to be able to run the ball when they need to but none of them needs a RB in the top3 3 paid at that position and the Rams are going to regret that.

What it looks like you are forgetting is both the teams you mention have HOF QB's. We're a run first offense, they are pass first.

Edit: This is in reference to your comment about dumping Eze. And, he'll play at least as long as Earl Campbell.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

so in your opinion, TE, CB, OL depth, OT (replacing Smith), safety and DT are lower priority than a RB...a back up RB....in planning Zeke's exit maybe next year....

given that RBs quickly acclimate into a team, why not draft one next year!?

Angus12

Reaction score
Taking him at 58 would be bad.

Trading UP to take him?

giphy.gif

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Then by that logic NE does not have a top WR ranked in the top 15 so I guess you don't need high priced WR either?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Let Zeke play out his rookie contract......tag him, and see if he's dropped off...if he's still productive then tag him a second time, then let him walk......with his style of play his body will most likely take a beating by then.....churn.

Before you ask...I like Zeke alot.....just can't fall in love with your players.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score

I get all that but we’ve already invested the pick. He’s got more than 5 years in him barring major injury of course...

This is Dallas, not New England.. I just don’t see it happening, we do things differently here..

Now if it were me, I might have picked somebody different but he’s here now so it’s a moot point...

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
What it looks like you are forgetting is both the teams you mention have HOF QB's. We're a run first offense, they are pass first.

Edit: This is in reference to your comment about dumping Eze. And, he'll play at least as long as Earl Campbell.
Earl Campbell was ordinary at 26, hurt and bad at 27, good at 28, and done as a starter at that point. He's an argument for not re-signing Zeke.

ksg811

Reaction score
Let Zeke play out his rookie contract......tag him, and see if he's dropped off...if he's still productive then tag him a second time, then let him walk......with his style of play his body will most likely take a beating by then.....churn.

Before you ask...I like Zeke alot.....just can't fall in love with your players.

Going year to year on Zeke will cost you $45 million in guaranteed money over 4 years. Put that guaranteed money into an extension and you get 6 years to prorate it while still having an out in 3 years. Much wiser use of cap space.