Draft debate: Trading up to get who your target

sdfidaho

Reaction score
I like McBride too. Not sure if he is worth trading up for. Maybe if we went down some in the 1st and picked up another third, maybe you could package the 2nd and a 5th to move up, although I have seen McBride in the 3rd in a lot of mocks.

I don't think he'll make it to the 3rd, but I like moving down in the first and picking up the additional pick to move up later with. I think we can move back and still get a starting Guard that we like in the first

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Im trading up if any of these DEs or OTs fall

Those are the two most important positions outside of QB. If they correctly evaluate the player, they will impact this roster more than any WR, LB, or OG will.

We had Charles Cross in for a 30-Visit. If he falls to the Late teens, we need to be working the phones for a trade up. Put him at RT and let him be Tyron’s eventual successor

Flamma

Reaction score
I am all for trading up IF it is for the "right" guy.
Lloyd or Dean maybe, but I don't think so.
An OT -- not really.
Would I use a couple of 5's to move up in the 1st to take JDavis......absolutely. He is the only player I see that "might" be an impact player for the Dallas Cowboys.

With that said, is there a DE that they have found that drops? I doubt it but maybe.

I am not at all opposed to trading up, just want it to be no more than 2 - 5th's added -- so not very far up -- and I want it to be an impact player, not a needed one.

If you need him, just wait and draft the best player available at that time.

Two 5ths can move us up from 24 to 23. If we offered every pick from round 3 on back, it wouldn't get us to Jordan Davis.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Im trading up if any of these DEs or OTs fall

Those are the two most important positions outside of QB. If they correctly evaluate the player, they will impact this roster more than any WR, LB, or OG will.

We had Charles Cross in for a 30-Visit. If he falls to the Late teens, we need to be working the phones for a trade up. Put him at RT and let him be Tyron’s eventual successor

Which DEs are you targeting?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’m all for moving up in the draft, but in the second round.

It would be great to find two starters.

I think I’m on that same train.

Stay put at 24 and move up in the 2nd round to potentially grab a guy that slips that you have graded as a 1st rounder.

Last edited:

morasp

Reaction score
I rewatched Jerry's quote and had a thought. He mentioned Frederick and trading up. There has been some talk that Linderbaum could fall to day 2 and I wonder if Jerry was talking about trading up for him if that happened?

kskboys

Reaction score
Two 5ths can move us up from 24 to 23. If we offered every pick from round 3 on back, it wouldn't get us to Jordan Davis.
I'll never comprehend how so many overvalue late round picks.

Flamma

Reaction score
Micah no, but there are Lamb caliber players in this draft. With Lamb, they had him ranked 6th in that class and he dropped. When they talk about "another Lamb", I believe they are talking about that type of value

That's what I got from it too. If a really good player drops, and they are clearly the BPA, you probably should take that player. Otherwise you'd be reaching for need.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'll never comprehend how so many overvalue late round picks.

I think they over value them when we're making a trade and giving up our picks. I don't notice it so much when other teams are offering the same. Like, you'll never see someone want two 5th rounders from another team to let them jump in front of us 10 spots.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think they over value them when we're making a trade and giving up our picks. I don't notice it so much when other teams are offering the same. Like, you'll never see someone want two 5th rounders from another team to let them jump in front of us 10 spots.
I think you are right. Simple egocentric thought processes.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's what I got from it too. If a really good player drops, and they are clearly the BPA, you probably should take that player. Otherwise you'd be reaching for need.
Sure, but it's just so rare that there is a clear BPA. Parsons was that. Lamb was not, only on our boards maybe.

Flamma

Reaction score
Sure, but it's just so rare that there is a clear BPA. Parsons was that. Lamb was not, only on our boards maybe.

I didn't see a better option on the board I was looking at. But I'm just using one of these top 100 boards. Most of the good players that I liked were gone, if not all of them.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Might be in the minority, but Karlaftis

So how much are you prepared to give up to get to Karlaftis? His grading and mocks are extremely varied....I dont think you can give up additional draft collateral for a non-consensus star because of the position he plays, especially when we still appear to want to play Micah at the edge.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
So how much are you prepared to give up to get to Karlaftis? His grading and mocks are extremely varied....I dont think you can give up additional draft collateral for a non-consensus star because of the position he plays, especially when we still appear to want to play Micah at the edge.
I laid it out in my original post. Im coming off pick 88 to move into the teens and grab him.

1. Micah isnt going to be a Full-time EDGE

2. You can never have enough pass rushers

3. Tank is ALWAYS hurt

4. Fowler and Dorance are JAGS

Id much rather upgrade our pass rush than take a guard at 24. We dont need first round picks all across the OL. Its been said on here before that McCarthys lines in GB were mid-rounders

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I laid it out in my original post. Im coming off pick 88 to move into the teens and grab him.

3. Tank is ALWAYS hurt

Id much rather upgrade our pass rush than take a guard at 24. We dont need first round picks all across the OL. Its been said on here before that McCarthys lines in GB were mid-rounders

If you're going to lose a top 100 pick in this fairly deep draft it better be for a player that's a big upgrade on what's going to be available at 24. We may consider Karlaftis at 24, but I doubt we'd give up any other draft for him....only for him to be benched when we want pace on the edge.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

3. Tank is ALWAYS hurt

Thats a scenario I would jump all over. A 3rd might get it done for Johnson too. 88 gets us to 18 or 19. Karlaftis or Johnson could still be there

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I can see a trade up in the second to get Sam Williams.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Guards, centers and Linebackers can tend to slide to a lower pick than their talent says they should. Sometimes first round talents at those positions can tend to fall into the early second round.

Edge is normally a position that goes earlier than their talent says, but because this years edge group is so crazy deep, I could see one or two pass rushers falling into the early second as well.

I would like to see Dallas take their player at 24 and then target a player with a move up to the earlier second round. If they can get two starters in the first 3 rounds, that’s definitely a win.