Draft debate: Trading up to get who your target

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
If you're going to lose a top 100 pick in this fairly deep draft it better be for a player that's a big upgrade on what's going to be available at 24. We may consider Karlaftis at 24, but I doubt we'd give up any other draft for him....only for him to be benched when we want pace on the edge.
Positional value brother

Give me the player at the more important position, even if they are similarly ranked.

With that said, you wont find many big boards where Karlaftis isnt ranked much higher than the two guards

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Positional value brother

Give me the player at the more important position, even if they are similarly ranked.

With that said, you wont find many big boards where Karlaftis isnt ranked much higher than the two guards

Id hope the FO dont use draft picks in isolation and have a strategic outlook. Unlike fans who see player (or position), want player, must have player, I hope we're looking a creating a team (identifying faults and future).

It appears so many of these thread are based around, not wanting to draft a Guard (pick a position of value and then go cheap on a Guard in latter rounds). I'd argue this is the year that a Guard is most important, for the team and future.

Sure we can skimp on a lesser Guard, however, in 2023 we're potentially starting a mid-round rookie RB (with Zeke and Pollard both gone) and if we dont strengthen that O-Line to assist the running game our whole offense will be compromised (NB Jimmie Ward quote)......

.... Jimmie Ward quote - “We went in there and did what we needed to do: Stop the run and force them to be one-dimensional. See if Prescott could win the game for them,”

HawaiiCowboy

Reaction score
Fwiw our last two players aquired with the extra pick in a 1st round trade down were JJ Wilcox and Chauncey Golston

Ill say this. If its between Trevor Penning or Zion Johnson and a JJ Wilcox or Chauncey Golston caliber player, I take Penning every time

We actually got WR Terrance Williams and not JJ Wilcox. We took Wilcox with one of our own picks. Williams was a good player.