Draft Grade: Inc

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
How so? Can't get past divisonal rounds of the playoffs.

2-3 playoff record the last 5 years.
3-4 the last 10 years.

I'm optimistic we've made it two years in a row but I don't think the culture of this team lends itself to championship football.
What does this even mean?

Did the Chiefs have that culture before Mahomes? Tampa before Brady? Are the Bills disqualified from ever winning one?

Fans need to understand, in all sports, that sometimes it just doesn't work out. Every season doesn't have to be a referendum on the culture of an organization. Talent breeds culture.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
What does this even mean?

Did the Chiefs have that culture before Mahomes? Tampa before Brady? Are the Bills disqualified from ever winning one?

Fans need to understand, in all sports, that sometimes it just doesn't work out. Every season doesn't have to be a referendum on the culture of an organization. Talent breeds culture.
27 years of tangible data says otherwise.

KC brought in a quality head coach and allowed him to identify and then gave him the resources to go get him.

Tampa Bay brought in a estalished QB, possibly the best of all time, with 6 Super Bowl rings.

When is the last time Jerry hired a Head Coach and truly gave him the ability to get talent? Bill Parcells in 2003. Jerry was so uncomfortable in that situation that he forced players on Parcells up until the point that Parcells had enough and left in 2006.

When is the last time Jerry brought in a free agent the caliber of Tom Brady? Deion Sanders in 1995.

Jerry isn't willing to do those things now.

Cowboys fans need to understand that Jerry's insistence in playing GM isn't working out. 27 years of failing to make a conference championship game is exactly a referendum on Jerry's failures. Talent without a culture of leadership and accountablity doesn't win championships in sports.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

KC brought in a quality head coach and allowed him to identify and then gave him the resources to go get him.

Tampa Bay brought in a estalished QB, possibly the best of all time, with 6 Super Bowl rings.

When is the last time Jerry hired a Head Coach and truly gave him the ability to get talent? Bill Parcells in 2003. Jerry was so uncomfortable in that situation that he forced players on Parcells up until the point that Parcells had enough and left in 2006.

When is the last time Jerry brought in a free agent the caliber of Tom Brady? Deion Sanders in 1995.

Cowboys fans need to understand that Jerry's insistence in playing GM isn't working out. 27 years of failing to make a conference championship game is exactly a referendum on Jerry's failures. Talent without a culture of leadership and accountablity doesn't win championships in sports.
So in other words they don't have the culture until they win something.

rambo2

Reaction score

KC went 50 years without a Super Bowl win. They even brought in Joe Montana at one point.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
KC went 50 years without a Super Bowl win. They even brought in Joe Montana at one point.
And how does that make things acceptable here? People here are amazing. Right now our comp for NFCCG is Washington and Detroit. Sorry but just because another club suffered doesn't mean it makes our suffering ok.

rambo2

Reaction score
How's Kansas City doing now?

Also, are you okay waiting 23 more years before the Jones family figures it out?
The Cowboys are doing good now too. The 25 wins over the last 2 years is up there with the best in the league including the Chiefs.

rambo2

Reaction score
And how does that make things acceptable here? People here are amazing. Right now our comp for NFCCG is Washington and Detroit. Sorry but just because another club suffered doesn't mean it makes our suffering ok.
25 wins over 2 years isn't suffering to me. The team is a contender and has a shot this year and Detroit has a shot this year too.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
25 wins over 2 years isn't suffering to me. The team is a contender and has a shot this year and Detroit has a shot this year too.
I agree we have a chance but the 25 did nothing for me ending in the same place. I just don't like the time frame we have been through. Too much wasted talent and years on bad coaches and ideas.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
No. They don't currently have a culture that facilitates winning championships.
So then who does?

By your logic, there's like 5 teams with the culture. If KC has the culture, then the point is just that talent breeds culture, because they had none until 2018. The idea that any organization has a championship culture without premiere talent - specifically at QB - is impossible. It does not exist.

Explain to me how Tampa Bay currently has a Championship culture? Signing a free agent 40-something HoF QB and having it actually work is astronomically unlikely. Does Buffalo? They haven't won a championship ever, and have less playoff success than Dallas in the last 27 years. The entire NFC North and AFC South?

rambo2

Reaction score
I agree we have a chance but the 25 did nothing for me ending in the same place. I just don't like the time frame we have been through. Too much wasted talent and years on bad coaches and ideas.
I enjoy the wins and the excitement. I love it. I enjoy the whole thing. The off season with the draft and the building of the team. The long ride with nothing and then the excitement as they build a winner. We went a couple of decades before and hit rock bottom at 1 and 15. It was so sweet when they turned that around.

The bottom line is that they are good now. I enjoy the ride. I love it.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The bottom line is that they are good now. I enjoy the ride. I love it.
I don't understand how fans can look at a team that went 12-5 two years in a row and say "they have no chance because 1996."

rambo2

Reaction score
I don't understand how fans can look at a team that went 12-5 two years in a row and say "they have no chance because 1996."
It's funny to me. I also remember when fans said that Landry couldn't win the big one after the 2 loses to Lombardi, 2 loses to the Browns, and the loss to the Colts. That is kind of similar to the current fans claiming that they can't win with Jerry.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Cowboys are doing good now too. The 25 wins over the last 2 years is up there with the best in the league including the Chiefs.
I do not understand how this base has allowed the Jones to convince them that this is okay. They lowered the bar and you guys want to celebrate 25 wins in two years. The Chiefs have won 31 over the past two years.

Since 2016, Kansas City has won 64 games, winning their division 5 straight years, have been to 3 Super Bowls, winning 2 of them. Their playoff record the last 5 years is 11-3.

In that same span, Dallas has won 48 games, winning their division twice, and have not advanced to the Conference Championship Game. Their playoff record the last 5 years is 2-3.

The Cowboys are not in that conversation. Jerry just keeps finding scapegoats for his failures. Held onto Jason Garrett way too long and then finally scapeoated him. Hired a fraud in Mike McCarthy and they scapegoated Kellen Moore this year. Next year will be McCarthy. Dan Quinn will be up next because he is okay with the current (lack of) leadership culture in Dallas. Jerry doesn't truly want to win; he wants enablers.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I love how this board reminisces for a decade when they were less successful than they were in the 90s, and just completely ignores the 3 Super Bowls lol
And we've been paying for those 3 SBs for 30 years. Nobody cares about them any more. And the person that's responsible for them isn't even in our ROH.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
And we've been paying for those 3 SBs for 30 years. Nobody cares about them any more. And the person that's responsible for them isn't even in our ROH.
Ah yes, Jerry gets no credit for the ones they won but all the blame for not winning again. Classic lol

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Ah yes, Jerry gets no credit for the ones they won but all the blame for not winning again. Classic lol
You got that right. I look at what he's done since he fired jimmy because that's when he took over as the real GM of the Cowboys. Nobody's ever going to convince me that Jerry had anything to do with those championships other than getting the players Jimmy wanted. He's had too many years running things by himself to convince me otherwise. If Jerry had been running the team from the very beginning like he is now we'd be talking about those great Cowboy teams of the 1970's. The 90's dynasty never would have happened. He should kiss his lucky starts that he had a buddy named Jimmy Johnson because he's been living on the reputation of those teams for 30 years.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You got that right. I look at what he's done since he fired jimmy because that's when he took over as the real GM of the Cowboys. Nobody's ever going to convince me that Jerry had anything to do with those championships other than getting the players Jimmy wanted. He's had too many years running things by himself to convince me otherwise. If Jerry had been running the team from the very beginning like he is now we'd be talking about those great Cowboy teams of the 1970's. The 90's dynasty never would have happened. He should kiss his lucky starts that he had a buddy named Jimmy Johnson because he's been living on the reputation of those teams for 30 years.
Does he not get credit for hiring Jimmy?

The salary cap means that no team is going to have 20-30 year runs of sustained success ever again. Comparing modern teams to successes 50 years ago is silly.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Does he not get credit for hiring Jimmy?

The salary cap means that no team is going to have 20-30 year runs of sustained success ever again. Comparing modern teams to successes 50 years ago is silly.
That's the only credit I give him. But Jimmy was coming to the NFL with or without him. We were just lucky that they were friends. Too bad it couldn't have lasted.