Draft grades on pure talent, talent+intangibles, and need

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
To grade the draft now you must know if they were able to draft the guys they targeted/wanted. Won't know that unless you know their board.

In 3 years you can grade if they were right about those guys.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Caught up in meaningless details while the albatross continues to strangle this franchise.

RS12

Reaction score
Im excited to watch Odiggie

If he is a 3T, I didnt notice much suddeness or explosion. He usually stunted to get in the backfield which he did well. It did look like he was pretty good at keeping gap integrity against the run though.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Being as generous as possible, I think there were about a 100 ways even an imbecile could have walked away with a better draft than what they did. There were so many times on day 2 where there were 5-6 guys that should have all been valued targets fall to their draft spot or you move up a few spots & guarantee you get one of them. Instead, they ignore to draft someone a round or more early or they sit and let them all get wiped out ahead of them. Seriously, I could have ended day 2 and probably 80+% of this board would have been like I don't care if we even show up on day 3. (The other 20% are going to complain no matter what you do). The talent was there to be had and we had the ammo to get it.

It very much felt like last year spoiled them thinking the board would fall their way and when it didn't they had no plan to take control of their destiny.
Which team do you scout for? If not a scout, which team are you the GM for? Just looking for some creds. You obviously are one of the 2 in the way you post, so inquiring minds would like to know.

btcutter

Reaction score
If he is a 3T, I didnt notice much suddeness or explosion. He usually stunted to get in the backfield which he did well. It did look like he was pretty good at keeping gap integrity against the run though.
Odigizuwa is a perfect 5 tech DE in 3-4. He did well in senior bowl to have his stock shoot up the boards.

plasticman

Reaction score
There is only one way to grade a draft and that is based on the team's record at the end of the season.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
As far as raw football ability goes...

Parsons can play
Joseph can play
Cox can play

I'm not sold on any of the other dudes.

btcutter

Reaction score
As far as raw football ability goes...

Parsons can play
Joseph can play
Cox can play

I'm not sold on any of the other dudes.
There lies the problem. We had 11 picks and 5 in the top 100. We should have 5 players that we know can play.

waving monkey

Reaction score
i read he was a wrestler and that helps with balance and leverage for his smallish size.
he will be fun to watch [hopefully]

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
All the 3rd rounders are substandard and won't help much stopping the run. That corner in the 4th was another reach. They should have just traded up for players that they needed. A safety and a true 1 tech would have made this draft better. To me it was a big, big disappointment.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Which team do you scout for? If not a scout, which team are you the GM for? Just looking for some creds. You obviously are one of the 2 in the way you post, so inquiring minds would like to know.

None. But I do observe & learn and I am well above average in identifying talent and understanding risk. The cowboys took three players in the third round well above where the rest of the world had them ranked. If someone believes in a player & goes against the grain by selecting them a little early, fine. But to think you are going to win three of those decisions when two of them are WAY early? That's like believing you can win two lotteries on back to back tickets. It deserves to be called out & questioned.

They could have drafted better players in the third round & still gotten these guys later. If you want to take Osa near the end of the third, fine. Its not as much that the players they selected are bad its just that they could have selected better players in those slots.

They were very fortunate that Jabril slid to the 4th. They seem to have gotten some good talent in the later rounds. If you can do OK everywhere else, why couldn't you at least get average selections in the third? Because inquiring minds want to know.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
None. But I do observe & learn and I am well above average in identifying talent and understanding risk. The cowboys took three players in the third round well above where the rest of the world had them ranked. If someone believes in a player & goes against the grain by selecting them a little early, fine. But to think you are going to win three of those decisions when two of them are WAY early? That's like believing you can win two lotteries on back to back tickets. It deserves to be called out & questioned.

They could have drafted better players in the third round & still gotten these guys later. If you want to take Osa near the end of the third, fine. Its not as much that the players they selected are bad its just that they could have selected better players in those slots.

They were very fortunate that Jabril slid to the 4th. They seem to have gotten some good talent in the later rounds. If you can do OK everywhere else, why couldn't you at least get average selections in the third? Because inquiring minds want to know.
“Well above where the rest of the world ranked them?” Mel Kioer? McShay? These rankings are done by media talking heads. What the hell do they know? Not much.

jujoboys

Reaction score
To grade the draft now you must know if they were able to draft the guys they targeted/wanted. Won't know that unless you know their board.

In 3 years you can grade if they were right about those guys.

I couldn’t even begin to give a grade. I don’t consider myself a scout. However, I do love the fact that we drafted the power 5 conferences and stayed away from small school project players. 4 SEC, 3 Big 10, 3 PAC 12. The guy from Marshall, Ball, was at an ACC school prior to disciplinary actions. I like drafting guys that competed for their jobs against the best and played against the best.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
“Well above where the rest of the world ranked them?” Mel Kioer? McShay? These rankings are done by media talking heads. What the hell do they know? Not much.
Everyone. The rest of the NFL agreed as they gobbled them up gladly.