Draft Guide, With Cowboy-Tinted Glasses

ejthedj

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have done this analysis the last few years, and it works pretty well plus it gives you a sense of who we might get. Also, it gives us something to root for during the draft--if people lower down the list go before us, we have more options!

So, here's how it works: I accumulated data from 18 mock drafts (not fans, most from published sources). I did this to get an idea of who will definitely be gone before our pick, who we should cheer for if they go before us, and who our realistic options are. I simply tallied if players went before pick 22 in the mocks. The list gives us an idea that there are about 17 players who will almost certainly be gone before us. That means we need to root for 4 players from the rest of the list to climb up ahead of us. I did the same 18 drafts, but two times--once on April 3rd and now today, April 20th. So it also marks some changes in perceived draft value of players.

Here's the list: 2008—18 mock drafts (4-3)
Certain to be gone: 10
Ryan
Ellis
Long
Long
Dorsey
Gholston
McFadden
McKelvin
Mendenhall
Clady

Almost Certain (95%): 3
Rivers (16)
C. Williams (16)
Harvey (17)

Nearly Certain (80%): 4
Jenkins (15)
Otah (15)
DRC (14)
Kelly (13)—even if it’s not Kelly, we can count on one WR gone before us

Better than Average Chance (60%): 3
D. Jackson (11)
Merling (11)
Stewart (10)

Others Mentioned (50% or less): 16
D. Thomas (8)
Phillips (8)
Talib (7)
Brohm (7)
Sweed (6)
K. Balmer (5)
Connor (3)
Groves (3)
Cason (2)
B. Albert (2)
F. Jones
R. Smith
J. Hardy
C. Campbell (2)
J. Mayo
B. Flowers

Update on April 20, 2007--same 18 mocks

Certain to be gone: 11
Ryan
Ellis
Long
Long
Dorsey
Gholston
McFadden
McKelvin
Clady
C. Williams
Rivers

Almost Certain (95%): 4
Harvey (16)
Mendenhall (16)
DRC (17)
Albert (16)

Nearly Certain (80%): 2
D. Thomas (15)
Otah (15)

Better than Average Chance (60%): 2
Jenkins (13)
Merling (13)

Others Mentioned (50% or less): 13
Sweed (9)
Stewart (9)
Jackson (8)
Mayo (7)
C. Campbell (6)
Talib (4)
Phillips (4)
Brohm (2)
Groves (2)
J. Hardy (2)
Kelly (2)
Balmer
Cason

Basically, we can't hope to get anybody in the first two columns. There is little chance of the people in the third (nearly certain) either. So, look at the bottom two lists of players, pick your favorites, and start cheering. We want to hope that people like Brohm or Campbell or Merling go before us because I can't see us taking them no matter what. If those three would go before us, we'd have our pick of the rest.

This guide gives you a good idea of what we can expect and what we can hope for, all through Cowboy-tinted glasses.

ejthedj

Reaction score
A couple other comments-- Albert has really risen since 4-3, making him almost certain to be gone. So has Calais Campbell and Merling, although they have more chance to be there.

Stewart has really slipped, Talib too.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
A bit depressing.

But it shows my best case scenario draft is plausible: Cason at 22 and Hardy at 28.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2042310 said:
A bit depressing.

But it shows my best case scenario draft is plausible: Cason at 22 and Hardy at 28.

Cason at 22 and Roy Williams for 28 would be even better

mperfection

Reaction score
theogt;2042310 said:
A bit depressing.

There is NO way I take Cason over Mike Jenkins. If Jenkins is there at 22, we nab him - no questions asked.

Then, we probably trade down into the second, OR, we trade #28 for a vet WR, OR, we nab Cason with #28. Now, THAT would indeed be an interesting draft in the first round.

kristie

Reaction score
theogt;2042310 said:
A bit depressing.

that doesn't seem too bad.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we make the trade for P Jones I don't see the Cowboys taking a CB in the first round.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
mperfection;2042316 said:
There is NO way I take Cason over Mike Jenkins. If Jenkins is there at 22, we nab him - no questions asked.

Then, we probably trade down into the second, OR, we trade #28 for a vet WR, OR, we nab Cason with #28. Now, THAT would indeed be an interesting draft in the first round.
Antoine Cason
40 Yrd Dash: 4.45
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.51
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.08
3-Cone Drill: 7.07

Mike Jenkins

40 Yrd Dash: 4.38

20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.47
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 09'09"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.40
3-Cone Drill: 7.21

College Production

Opponent's QB Rating
Antoine Cason 23.7
Mike Jenkins 54.0

YPA
Antoine Cason 3.5
Mike Jenkins 5.1

Completion %
Antoine Cason 0.32
Mike Jenkins 0.41

INTs per Attempt
Antoine Cason 0.068
Mike Jenkins 0.044

Red highlights are were Cason has the same or better metric. Blue highlights are where Jenkins has the better metric.

How many blue highlights do you see?

Rockytop6

Reaction score
ejthedj;2042297 said:
A couple other comments-- Albert has really risen since 4-3, making him almost certain to be gone. So has Calais Campbell and Merling, although they have more chance to be there.

Stewart has really slipped, Talib too.

I would be happy with the two slips.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2042310 said:
A bit depressing.

Your BEST case Scenario is to have an early 2nd round prospect picked at pick #22?

whcarm

Reaction score
Isn't Cason related to Aveion Cason and Ken-yon Rambo? I think the Cowboys have already tried to find talent in that family. Let's not try again.

I'd prefer Flowers.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
whcarm;2042364 said:
Isn't Cason related to Aveion Cason and Ken-yon Rambo? I think the Cowboys have already tried to find talent in that family. Let's not try again.

I'd prefer Flowers.

That's your reasoning? That he's related to two other guys that have successfully made a professional career out of football?

OK....

I've watched Flowers many times, and he's a good football player, but he's going to be exposed more often in NFL due to his lack of speed. No way I touch him before the 61st pick.

I'll take Cason well before that.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
whcarm;2042364 said:
Isn't Cason related to Aveion Cason and Ken-yon Rambo?
Yes. But what does that have to do with anything?

JMO, but Cason will make a better pro than Flowers also.

whcarm

Reaction score
tomson75;2042380 said:
That's your reasoning? That he's related to two other guys that have successfully made a professional career out of football?

OK....

I've watched Flowers many times, and he's a good football player, but he's going to be exposed more often in NFL due to his lack of speed. No way I touch him before the 61st pick.

I'll take Cason well before that.

Ken-Yon Rambo was in the league two years and had 17 receptions for 239 yards and no TDs.

Aveion Cason has done a little better. He has been in the league for 6 years has gotten 122 rush attempts for 555 yards and 3 TDs.

I would not say either have had a successful football career. I guess you could make the case that even at low salaries, Cason has done good to stay in for several years.

Anyway, just making the point that both of them pretty much suck and I'd be a bit worried that their relatives might not be that great either.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
whcarm;2042394 said:
Ken-Yon Rambo was in the league two years and had 17 receptions for 239 yards and no TDs.

Aveion Cason has done a little better. He has been in the league for 6 years has gotten 122 rush attempts for 555 yards and 3 TDs.

I would not say either have had a successful football career. I guess you could make the case that even at low salaries, Cason has done good to stay in for several years.

Anyway, just making the point that both of them pretty much suck and I'd be a bit worried that their relatives might not be that great either.

Neither one is obviously going to be admitted to the HOF, but then again, neither one was expected to do much either. IIRC, Rambo was a 7th round pick and Cason was undrafted. Aveion is still in the league, and Ken-Yon is playing in the CFL. Both have managed to continue playing football after college, and both are successful at making money doing so. I guess I'm one those people that thinks you've been successful athletically if you get paid to play sports for a number of years, regardless of what level.

Antoine is expected to be slightly better having been graded as a 1st/2nd rounder. ;)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
With that group there I'd be tempted to draft Phillips and then a CB at 28. Or vice versa. Although Phillips is almost certain to not be there at 28 which is why I'd go after him. There's your answer at safety. At least one.

However, I think 28 is going to go for the other RW. Just a gut feeling and Hos' sources. And of course we really need him.

And I don't think Pacman is going to influence Dallas this year. Until they see at least a year of him they have to pretend he is on loan. What he gives is gravy but they cannot depend on him. The other reason is the depth of CB this year combined with those two firsts.

Now watch them draft Merling and Cason.

ejthedj

Reaction score
My realistic dream scenario is...

Jenkins and Sweed, or another receiver (Hardy, Sweed or a trade) at 28

I think Jenkins has a chance of slipping, although a low one according to the numbers