Draft Guide, With Cowboy-Tinted Glasses

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
ejthedj;2042297 said:
A couple other comments-- Albert has really risen since 4-3, making him almost certain to be gone. So has Calais Campbell and Merling, although they have more chance to be there.

Stewart has really slipped, Talib too.

Good Job:)

MONT17

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2042330 said:
If we make the trade for P Jones I don't see the Cowboys taking a CB in the first round.

Jerry has never seen a Plan B that he liked!!!

MONT17

Reaction score
whcarm;2042394 said:
Anyway, just making the point that both of them pretty much suck and I'd be a bit worried that their relatives might not be that great either.

that didnt stop every Cowboy fan within 300 miles of Ohio gettin their pants wet when the Boys drafted BoCarp!

funkytown

Reaction score
This is a well thought out analysis. Although using mock drafts as your basis can skew your results slighty, i think this will come close to being accurate data.
I did a similiar analysis, though not with mock drafts, but with my own belief on who will be selected. I went over several different scenarios of what could happen, and I was able to come up with around 18 players that almost certainly will be drafted before pick 22.
As you have pointed out, anyone else drafted before 22 that is not in that group will push down certain players.

1. J. Long
  2. C. Long
  3. Dorsey
  4. Gholston
  5. McFadden
  6. Ellis
  7. Ryan
  8. McKelvin
  9. Clady
  10. Albert
  11. Rodgers-Cromartie
  12. Mendenhall
  13. Harvey
  14. Rivers
  15. Stewart
  16. Otah
  17. Jenkins
    18.Williams

Group 2
Talib
D.Thomas
Merling
Mayo
Sweed

That is 18 that i figure should be drafted before pick 22, players listed as group 2 or anyone else drafted before 22, could push a player in group 1 down to the cowboys

TOOMBS

Reaction score
theogt;2042314 said:
Well, duh. :)

Don't you freakin get it man???? he is such a genius that anything you say will get a duh response................... THIS GUY KNOWS FOOTBALL!

ejthedj

Reaction score
Very close to the same results, although I think Stewart could slide because 1) RBs tend to slide on draft day and 2) the injury question

ejthedj

Reaction score
Even though these contradict the chart, two LONGSHOT possibilities for us might be:

DRC--lots of reports coming out that some teams have him lower than the media does

Mendenhall--RBs seem to always slide, especially with the depth (teams can say they can get one later)

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
whcarm;2042394 said:
Anyway, just making the point that both of them pretty much suck and I'd be a bit worried that their relatives might not be that great either.

That is flawed logic. If you can damn someone for their bloodlines, then you'd have to praise them for it too. We should sign Jarrett Payton from Montreal or wherever to start ahead of Marion. Championship!

ejthedj

Reaction score
This post has got me thinking... Maybe a SMALL Trade-Up is a good option. If we could move up 3-4 spots, and get one of these guys that are sliding like a DRC or Mendenhall or Jenkins or D. Thomas? I dunno, but if we really like one of these guys, it seems like there's a pretty big Plateau and talent-level break right around 17, and then people's boards vary dramatically.

So, who at the bottom of that tier do you want? My dream = DRC

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
That's great logic, his cousin has sucked it up so we should just pass on him........:bang2:

funkytown

Reaction score
ejthedj;2043746 said:
This post has got me thinking... Maybe a SMALL Trade-Up is a good option. If we could move up 3-4 spots, and get one of these guys that are sliding like a DRC or Mendenhall or Jenkins or D. Thomas? I dunno, but if we really like one of these guys, it seems like there's a pretty big Plateau and talent-level break right around 17, and then people's boards vary dramatically.

So, who at the bottom of that tier do you want? My dream = DRC

I completely agree...one of those players could slide and Dallas would be smart to trade up a few slots. Because there is a significant drop off of talent, right around the Dallas pick at 22

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Maybe we should wait for cason to fall to 28 if we can't get a deal done for RW and trade our twenty two away for more picks.

funkytown

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2045213 said:
Maybe we should wait for cason to fall to 28 if we can't get a deal done for RW and trade our twenty two away for more picks.

Trade away 28 for more pics if you cant get RW.

I think Jenkins or Talib will be the pick at 22.

ejthedj

Reaction score
I think trade up to maybe 19 if the last of the top three CBs is still around...

Go get Jenkins or DRC!!! Get 'er done Jerry!

Smith22

Reaction score
Couple of things. RB's do tend to fall day 1. Everyone remember S. Jackson falling? I remember being stunned when we passed on him.

Also, DRC is on the skinny side and will need to bulk up for the NFL. maybe he slides a bit due to this? I guess it depends how long teams think he will need to bulk up some.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2042310 said:
A bit depressing.

But it shows my best case scenario draft is plausible: Cason at 22 and Hardy at 28.

With all due respect Theo, you can do better than this..... ;) IMO/FWIW