Draft Is Set-Up Perfectly For Us To Trade Down

VACowboy

Reaction score
Teams picking after the Cowboys in the 1st:
Bills
Bengals
Saints (Carr just signed 150M contract.)
Eagles
Chiefs

I don't think any of those teams will be drafting a QB in the 1st. A team wanting Hooker could trade with KC...
I guess I'm looking at teams trading into round one for the QB. Indy?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The more I see how our needs stack up with the board and who should be left at 26 BPA-wise the more it makes sense to trade down.

Unless a premier guy drops like Ceedee did in 2020, this thing is set up perfectly for us to benefit greatly from an extra 2nd or 3rd.

In terms of need, the likely available DT’s and OG’s at 26 like Mazi and Avila can be had at the top of round 2 or very end of 1. Also in rounds 2/3, the value at TE and RB will be extremely high granted the Bijan’s and Kincaid/Meyers of the world are gone before 26.

Would love to come out of this draft with 4 picks in the top 3 rounds. If things fall our way we could walk away with a DT, OL, TE, and RB all at ridiculous value. I’m team trade down unless a blue-chipper falls.
Two issues, you need a trading partner, who are they going to trade up for? This draft supposedly falls off a cliff sometime in rd 3, trading away from a better prospect is very risky

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Two issues, you need a trading partner, who are they going to trade up for? This draft supposedly falls off a cliff sometime in rd 3, trading away from a better prospect is very risky
I don’t see it falling off a cliff in R3 at all. I actually think R3 is loaded and R4 is really solid. I love Bijan but give me one of Tyjae, Evans, DeWayne, Israel, Roschon, or Tank and I’m good. Some of those will be there in R3 and probably a few in R4. The same holds true for CB’s and TE’s…this draft is so deep in those positions. We are fortunate we have needs in the deep positions this year. It will be stupid deep if people like Mafi start going in R1 or 2 like some have suggested.

As far as trading down, there is always talent that slips and someone will look to move up. Also, there are a number of teams that have a high number of picks who will look to combine to move up. Of just the 5 teams drafting behind us in the first round, there are already rumors that two are looking to move up and we are still weeks away. If the Cowboys want to move down, they will be able to. It will just depend on their board and the price paid.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
What player would a team trade up to get that Cowboys wouldn't just draft for themselves?
That Peter King thread indicates a varience of opinion about the WR class.
If we're wiped out on our 1st Grade receivers and a couple of good receivers are still there I'm sure a call to Chiefs, Bills and Saints wouldn't hurt.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t see it falling off a cliff in R3 at all. I actually think R3 is loaded and R4 is really solid. I love Bijan but give me one of Tyjae, Evans, DeWayne, Israel, Roschon, or Tank and I’m good. Some of those will be there in R3 and probably a few in R4. The same holds true for CB’s and TE’s…this draft is so deep in those positions. We are fortunate we have needs in the deep positions this year. It will be stupid deep if people like Mafi start going in R1 or 2 like some have suggested.

As far as trading down, there is always talent that slips and someone will look to move up. Also, there are a number of teams that have a high number of picks who will look to combine to move up. Of just the 5 teams drafting behind us in the first round, there are already rumors that two are looking to move up and we are still weeks away. If the Cowboys want to move down, they will be able to. It will just depend on their board and the price paid.
Majority of the draft insiders believe this is a very weak draft, lacking many elite prospects. Yes, there will be players that fill need, be it will be difficult to find pro bowl type starters. I just don't see much interest in trading back into the 1st rd this yr, QB's will be gone, receivers aren't good, both edge/corners are deep, etc.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Thinking 5 QBs go before end of 1st and maybe 6. Most sites agree on 15 to 18 true 1st round guys and only 2 qbs made that list.
Agreed, you can't just assume everyone will get picked in the ranked order. I get the feeling 3 or 4 QB's will get drafted. Every QB that gets drafted in front of you pushes players down. You never know how that shuffle affects other teams. Maybe one team gets a guy they thought they had no chance at and the teams behind them don't need the positions of the next few BPA. Just no way to predict how "surprise" selections will impact the entire draft.

Smith22

Reaction score
The more I see how our needs stack up with the board and who should be left at 26 BPA-wise the more it makes sense to trade down.

Unless a premier guy drops like Ceedee did in 2020, this thing is set up perfectly for us to benefit greatly from an extra 2nd or 3rd.

In terms of need, the likely available DT’s and OG’s at 26 like Mazi and Avila can be had at the top of round 2 or very end of 1. Also in rounds 2/3, the value at TE and RB will be extremely high granted the Bijan’s and Kincaid/Meyers of the world are gone before 26.

Would love to come out of this draft with 4 picks in the top 3 rounds. If things fall our way we could walk away with a DT, OL, TE, and RB all at ridiculous value. I’m team trade down unless a blue-chipper falls.
I think a WR and CB run will happen before our pick, making a trade down possibly the best option.

The problem with that is we need a team willing to trade up for a player in a draft that doesn't have a huge amount of 1st round graded players.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

If your targets are Mazi or Avila, then trading down makes sense. The guys I think we should be targeting in the first at those positions are Bresee, Kancey and Wright. It's most likely that where we are drafting is around the point that they should go off the board.

If Robinson, Gibbs, Bresee, Kancey, Wright, Broderick Jones, Meyer and Kincaid are all gone, then I'm all aboard team trade down unless a blue chipper falls.

Kwyn

Reaction score

I’m good with trading down. I don’t see anyone at 26 that I like ubless someone really slides.