Draft Musings - March 29

Kaiser

Reaction score
The fact is that the Cowboys have repeatedly made atrocious decisions at quarterback when in fact there were better alternatives available.

And by "atrocious" you mean you can find one counter example of a player who had a breakout season, but at a salary you can't make room for.

There is a lot of "atrocious" on NFL message boards these days.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And by "atrocious" you mean you can find one counter example of a player who had a breakout season, but at a salary you can't make room for.

Are we not done with this? Do you honestly want to make the case that the Cowboys couldn't afford $3.25 million if they had wanted Fitzapatrick instead of Weeden and then Cassel? Really? If so, go ahead and make it. Show how Dallas had absolutely no money and no flexibility to rework any contracts. Show us all how they were so totally, utterly, and completely called out that there was jumpy no way they could do it. Have at it! Show everybody how brilliant you are.

There is a lot of atrocious going around the Internet for NFL teams.

If you need to go through the list of every failed quarterback this team has had between Aikman and Romo's missed games, along with the win-loss records, we can do that. 'Atrocious' is being kind.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like what? You have spent 3 or 4 pages now ducking the question.

Just like the Witten restructure you yourself pointed to. They did what they needed to do for Cassel and his contract. They very easily could have done the exact same thing months earlier for Fitzpatrick had they chosen to. But you go ahead and keep trying to sell a capped out team story that nobody's buying for a second.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Are we not done with this? Do you honestly want to make the case that the Cowboys couldn't afford $3.25 million if they had wanted Fitzapatrick instead of Weeden and then Cassel? Really? If so, go ahead and make it. Show how Dallas had absolutely no money and no flexibility to rework any contracts. Show us all how they were so totally, utterly, and completely called out that there was jumpy no way they could do it. Have at it! Show everybody how brilliant you are.

Dodge, weave, repeat. I haven't said you can't do it, I've said there would be consequences. And for something like four pages of this thread, I've asked a very simple question - what is your plan to come up with the other 1.5MM to pay for it?

You still haven't answered.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Just like the Witten restructure you yourself pointed to. They did what they needed to do for Cassel and his contract. They very easily could have done the exact same thing months earlier for Fitzpatrick had they chosen to. But you go ahead and keep trying to sell a capped out team story that nobody's buying for a second.

That is what you are missing - or purposefully ignoring. There was no easy restructure to pull money from or it would have been done much earlier to have more FA money in the first place. Witten was the contingency plan because you always have to have backup plans to deal with injuries (like that one).

You can't waive a magic wand, as much as you want to. You can create the room, but its at the cost of some bad options like freeing up 2 MM by guaranteeing Brandon Carr another 5 Million for another season. There were no easy options at that point.

Its a simple question and if there were a lot of simple answers like you claim, you could have pointed to one right away.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dodge, weave, repeat. I haven't said you can't do it, I've said there would be consequences. And for something like four pages of this thread, I've asked a very simple question - what is your plan to come up with the other 1.5MM to pay for it?

You still haven't answered.

Ok, if it means that much to you I would rework Witten's contract like they did but take it even further to free up the small additional amount. If there's one player I want here long term, it's Witten.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Ok, if it means that much to you I would rework Witten's contract like they did but take it even further to free up the small additional amount. If there's one player I want here long term, it's Witten.

That won't get you the money needed, but at this point I'll take it for an answer.