Clowney in the 1st
Manziel in the 2nd
Donald in the 3rd
Barr in the 4th
Clinton Dix in the 5th
Watkins in the 6th
And Robinson in the 7th

Think that would be a decent draft if the dominoes somehow fell our way

Nice draft, except not sold on Manziel. Just personal opinion. But I won't complain if that's what they do. Will pull for him, because he will be a Cowboy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope not. If Marinelli is all that counts, why do we have scouts?

They have scouts because there are hundreds of players available for the draft. The scouts compile all the information that will be made available to Marinelli.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
They have scouts because there are hundreds of players available for the draft. The scouts compile all the information that will be made available to Marinelli.

My understanding is that the scouts give their information to Ciskowski, not Marinelli. After that, Ciskowski and the scouts put the board together. Marinelli has very little, to no say, in the construction of the board.

On draft day, Will McClay and Ciskowski will be the loudest voices in Jerry's ear, followed by Garrett, Marinelli and then the rest of the guys that are in the war room but Jerry ultimately says yes or no to every pick.

Marinelli will have a say, but he's far from the only voice that matters.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
My understanding is that the scouts give their information to Ciskowski, not Marinelli. After that, Ciskowski and the scouts put the board together. Marinelli has very little, to no say, in the construction of the board.

On draft day, Will McClay and Ciskowski will be the loudest voices in Jerry's ear, followed by Garrett, Marinelli and then the rest of the guys that are in the war room but Jerry ultimately says yes or no to every pick.

The coaches (at least the HC, OC, and DC) have a say in who goes on the board and who doesn't. They have to. The scouts gather the information, but the coaches get all the info as well, and decide if a player is right for them or not.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

I think the board is made independently of the coaches. If it were made with their direct input, there is little reason to think that Sharif Floyd would have been as high as he was.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's pretty comical to see what some believe occurs in our war room.

So, who do we pick Rod?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It's pretty comical to see what some believe occurs in our war room.

So, who do we pick Rod?

Take it from our real GM, Ciskowski:

“I think in a lot of cases, it’s kind of like a bridge. We bring the players to the bridge and the coaches have to take them across. The main thing is just to communicate exactly what the coach wants.”

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think you're missing my point.

1. Everybody in the Cowboys organization will have access to all of the player information that is gathered by the scouting dept.

2. They won't use a 1st on a player the scouting dept. has graded as a 7th just because Marinelli likes him; however, at each pick they will have it narrowed down to a small group of players for that pick. If one of the players is a DL, then Jerry is going to consult with Marinelli on that player. If Marinelli loves the player, then Jerry is likely to pick that player. Remember that Jerry is only consulting with Marinelli because all of the players in the small group are basically on the same tier according to the scouts. If there is not a DL in the small group, then Jerry won't be consulting with Marinelli at that pick. They will either draft another position or make a trade.

3. There are conflicting reports on who is putting together the board. The reporters closest to the situation insist that McClay will be in charge of the board. Jerry did make a rambling statement in an interview when asked about topic that seemed to indicate that Ciskowski was in charge; however, any comments made by Jerry outside of a press conference type setting are often inaccurate or misconstrued.

4. Jerry overruled the scouts and the board last year based on input from Marinelli. Since that time Marinelli has been promoted to D-Coordinator and likely has even more pull with Jerry than he did a year ago. This is especially true with DL being the top need this year.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
They discussed the top DL but on Aaron Donald they spoke about something regaurding him.

There are some people in the organization,that like him, but some that dont like him. Didnt say who does and who doesnt.

I'm concerned about his size, but like his production.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I think you're missing my point.

1. Everybody in the Cowboys organization will have access to all of the player information that is gathered by the scouting dept.

2. They won't use a 1st on a player the scouting dept. has graded as a 7th just because Marinelli likes him; however, at each pick they will have it narrowed down to a small group of players for that pick. If one of the players is a DL, then Jerry is going to consult with Marinelli on that player. If Marinelli loves the player, then Jerry is likely to pick that player. Remember that Jerry is only consulting with Marinelli because all of the players in the small group are basically on the same tier according to the scouts. If there is not a DL in the small group, then Jerry won't be consulting with Marinelli at that pick. They will either draft another position or make a trade.

3. There are conflicting reports on who is putting together the board. The reporters closest to the situation insist that McClay will be in charge of the board. Jerry did make a rambling statement in an interview when asked about topic that seemed to indicate that Ciskowski was in charge; however, any comments made by Jerry outside of a press conference type setting are often inaccurate or misconstrued.

4. Jerry overruled the scouts and the board last year based on input from Marinelli. Since that time Marinelli has been promoted to D-Coordinator and likely has even more pull with Jerry than he did a year ago. This is especially true with DL being the top need this year.

I get your point, I just disagree on some of the details. As the defensive coordinator, Marinelli will (and should) have a voice in the personell that's brought in via the draft. He just won't be the one guy Jerry turns to and asks, "Yes or no?". Jerry went with Marinelli on the Floyd thing, but he's also gone against the coaches and sided with the scouts - like when he went against Parcells and selected Ware over Spears and Merriman.

The Floyd thing was a cluster on so many levels. There is no reason that decision should have been made when we were on the clock, unless the coaches were seeing the board for the first time. That's not the way things should happen normally.

cej757

Reaction score
I get your point, I just disagree on some of the details. As the defensive coordinator, Marinelli will (and should) have a voice in the personell that's brought in via the draft. He just won't be the one guy Jerry turns to and asks, "Yes or no?". Jerry went with Marinelli on the Floyd thing, but he's also gone against the coaches and sided with the scouts - like when he went against Parcells and selected Ware over Spears and Merriman.

The Floyd thing was a cluster on so many levels. There is no reason that decision should have been made when we were on the clock, unless the coaches were seeing the board for the first time. That's not the way things should happen normally.

Jerry and Stephen already had a deal in place with San Fran and probably were the only two in the room that knew. Ciskowski and Garrett looked like they were shocked they were trading out of that pick.

jnday

Reaction score

From the looks of things in last years war room, the only voice that matters is Jerry's and Stephens. Garrett had little input. He was brought along to entertain Jerry's daughter. I doubt any other coach has his opinion as a deciding factor either.