Draft Talk

Doomsday101

Reaction score
djdoug;1309563 said:
some one that runs with Barbers attitude is what we need,no matter who it is.

Kenny Irons:

Displays good vision and instincts and is a natural runner...Is more quick than fast...Patient but he will explode through the hole when it opens...Will run with authority and plays like a much bigger back...Good athleticism and the agility to change directions...Is dangerous in space and will run away from people...Gets the most out of every run...Doesn't have a lot of mileage on his tires...You simply can't ignore the history his school has of sending guys at his position to the pros.

The Realist

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1309572 said:
Kenny Irons:

Displays good vision and instincts and is a natural runner...Is more quick than fast...Patient but he will explode through the hole when it opens...Will run with authority and plays like a much bigger back...Good athleticism and the agility to change directions...Is dangerous in space and will run away from people...Gets the most out of every run...Doesn't have a lot of mileage on his tires...You simply can't ignore the history his school has of sending guys at his position to the pros.

Red flag......

2006-Sat out the Buffalo contest due to a right groin sprain and a right turf toe (9/23)…Did not play vs. Tulane (10/21) because of a left high ankle sprain and bruised fibula…Did not start vs. Georgia (11/11) due to his high ankle sprain and bruised fibula.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Realist;1309541 said:
Break it down by region and it's south, south, and more south.

yeah, but I believe a lot of that is because of Brandt. He was in love with the dame SEC, which would not have been so bad had he been able to figure out which of the players withing the SEC had talent and which didn't. In stead, he simply adopted the policy of "When in doubt, take which ever SEC player is still on the board."

I seriously hope that we start looking at more players from other confrences. The Big12 and PAC10 have sent quite a few players into the NFL over the last few years. Apparently, they play football in other areas then just The East and the SEC.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1309359 said:
At this stage I'm hoping for Justin Blalock, OG, Texas. He is 6'4" 329. He is physical and when Texas needed him to move to tackle after an injury he was able to fill in there which shows great versatility to be able make a switch in a pinch

If he's a college guard, he'd have to be the best in the nation and the best in the last few years to be considered in the top 25.

Guards usually don't get drafted in the first round.

David.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Many are projecting Blalock at tackle which is pushing him to the first. He's more suited for guard but has shown he can make the switch.

dwmyers

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1309624 said:
yeah, but I believe a lot of that is because of Brandt. He was in love with the dame SEC.

Gil Brandt never drafted anyone for Jones. Jones fired him almost immediately after gaining control of the team. Are you confusing Larry Lacewell for Brandt?

David.

The Realist

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1309624 said:
yeah, but I believe a lot of that is because of Brandt. He was in love with the dame SEC, which would not have been so bad had he been able to figure out which of the players withing the SEC had talent and which didn't. In stead, he simply adopted the policy of "When in doubt, take which ever SEC player is still on the board."

I seriously hope that we start looking at more players from other confrences. The Big12 and PAC10 have sent quite a few players into the NFL over the last few years. Apparently, they play football in other areas then just The East and the SEC.

When was the last time Brandt ran a draft in Dallas?

3) Hatcher - GSU/South
4) Bustler Green - LSU/South
5) Watkins - FSU/Redneck Rivera
6) Stanley - Louisville/Have you heard him speak?

1a) Ware - Troy/South
1b) Spares - LSU/South
2) KB - Tennessee/South
4) Canty - Virginia/Southeast - Can't just be called east in my book.
7) Rat - Auburn/South

3) Stephen Busterman - LSU/Still
4) Bruce Somebody - UGA/9 of 10 of their players are mentally impaired, gangbangers or some combo of the 2

3) Witten South
4) James South
5) Zuriel? Where else would someone with a name like that be from?

marchetta

Reaction score
At this stage I'm hoping for Justin Blalock, OG, Texas. He is 6'4" 329. He is physical and when Texas needed him to move to tackle after an injury he was able to fill in there which shows great versatility to be able make a switch in a pinch

Justin Blalock OT/G/C Texas

STRENGTHS
Justin is a very powerful offensive lineman. He shows excellent leadership skills and mental toughness. He also shows good foot movement and knows most - if not all - of the offensive line positions. He has played at tackle and guard and, although I have not seen him play center, I have no doubt about his ability to play that position also. In fact, for the NFL level, I would think that the center position would be an impact position for Justin to play once he is drafted. Justin is one of the few O-linemen in this draft that blocks evenly well in protecting his QB or blowing holes in the defense for his RB. He is an excellent pulling O-lineman and has no problems firing out and attacking a linebacker. Justin can play more than one position in any style of offensive system.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Justin’s techniques are a bit sketchy at times because he has been moved around so much along the offensive line. This is normal and he should improve very quickly once he has settled in to one position.

TALENT BOARD ROUND: 1

Justin might be the best O-lineman in this draft. He might not be the first one picked, but he certainly could be and it would not surprise me. I’m not sure Justin has the lateral agility to play Left Tackle at the pro level; however, I bet if you put him at that position, you wouldn’t be sorry. He can play any of the other positions on the line and before long, you will see him in the Pro Bowl -- sooner rather than later. Justin has a very high LTI ratio. He will get on the field and help a team right away. He has first round talent to play more than one position. I really hope that at the combine, they test this kid out as a center because I think in the near future he could be a good one. Justin reminds me a lot of LeCharles Bentley (C - Cleveland Browns). He is bigger, but just as tough. I call him Justin (Time) Blalock because the team that drafts him will be getting one hell of an O-lineman (just in time) to go to the Super Bowl.

Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

dwmyers

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1309636 said:
Many are projecting Blalock at tackle which is pushing him to the first..

He isn't going in the first unless he's a consensus top 25 pick. I don't see him on Kiper's big board; Kiper projects him as the 3rd best guard in the game.

Sorry, but 3rd best in a less-than-urgent need position isn't going to get Blalock into the first round.

David.

marchetta

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1309572 said:
Kenny Irons:

Kenny Irons RB Auburn

STRENGTHS
Kenny Irons is a speed back with good toughness to run between the tackles and the speed to sweep around the ends. He runs with the heart of a lion. He likes being the main man in his team’s offense and looks to me like he is a good teammate. Kenny has good size to go along with his speed and the effort he gives on every down is not to be taken lightly. He shows the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and does a solid job blocking for his QB and picking up the blitz. Kenny reminds me a lot of Tatum Bell (RB Denver Broncos) when he came out in the draft.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Ken needs to add some bulk to his body to take the pounding at the next level. He needs to learn to use his blockers better and not rely so much on just his speed. Ken needs to learn how to change gears. He lacks vision and cutting quickness in the hole, which is causing all the injuries he’s been fighting this year. Ken is a straight-line runner. He runs up on his toes, which makes it easy to knock him off stride with arm tackles. He needs to learn and develop better vision, quickness in his cuts and patience. I have no doubt that he will work very hard to accomplish these things at the next level in order to reduce injuries.

TALENT BOARD ROUND: 2
If a team that uses a zone-blocking scheme in its running game drafts Kenny, he could get on the field right away and produce. But for the purposes of this draft, that makes Kenny a fit for a particular style of offense. All thirty-two teams in this draft do not use this offense. That means that Kenny could be drafted at any slot in the first two rounds. If a team in the top ten needs an RB for their zone blocking offense, then he could be picked in the top ten. Or, he could slip right out of the first round until there is a need for his natural style of running. I think all the other teams would consider Kenny more of a developmental back and this would drop his rating to the end of the first round and into the second. In this draft, there are some teams that should be in the playoffs that could use Kenny right away because of the zone blocking running scheme they use; however, if those teams have a need at other positions, then you will see a very good back drop to the second round and then Kenny becomes a steal. I rate Kenny in the second round only because, in my opinion, his LTI is directly related to a style of offense and in this draft there are a few bigger and more developed RB’s that fit any kind of system. But to be honest, Kenny runs with the heart of a lion and I would be very tempted to take him in the first no matter what offense system I had in place. He is a quality kid with a lot of talent.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

note: LTI is Length to Impact. The ratio they use to figure the length of time for the player to make a impact with his team. The higher the ratio, the shorter the time to impact.

btcutter

Reaction score
summerisfunner;1309663 said:
I'll puke if we draft a lineman in the 1st round, esp. a OG

Why? If the guy is so good that he can spring JJ for 5 long runs (>30yds), 15-20 medium (10-30 yds) and 10 1st downs on 3rd and short....isn't he worth that?????

Imagine our offense if our RB can produce that?

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
sonnyboy;1309446 said:
Anyone want to fill in my blanks:

1st OG_____wont happen________FA OG____nope need anothe TE____
2nd NT_____use a 7th _________ FA OLB/DE____LBs ya thats it____
3rd FS/CB___wast another 1st___ FA FS_ whats FS means____
4th OLB/DE__Awe shucks just pick one___
5th OG_____BPA________________
6th FS/CB___Home runs here__the next Champ Baily _____
7th CB/FS___Gold mine , cheap money Great Pick Bill___

Love watching the Cowboys justify there picks,,,BP is brilliant at giving Big money to worthless players:shootme:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

maybe it's addressed later in the thread, but what do we know of levi brown, other than he's listed on many mocks for us to nab him.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1309663 said:
I'll puke if we draft a lineman in the 1st round, esp. a OG

they're not "sexy" picks no. but they make your "sexy" players succeed. give a hole for barber or jones to hit, all of a sudden they look good.

give romo time to let a play develop, all of a sudden he looks good again and the WR's are less of a problem.

you want sexy to work in football, have a solid foundation. going after the glamor all the time won't build a team that's glamerous except in spots, part of the time.

marchetta

Reaction score
iceberg;1309750 said:
maybe it's addressed later in the thread, but what do we know of levi brown, other than he's listed on many mocks for us to nab him.

Levi Brown OT/OG Penn St

STRENGTHS
Levi has good size for his position. He does a solid job blocking for the run and shows enough quickness in his feet to be used on pulling plays. He also does a good job getting to the next level to block a linebacker. Levi shows strong mental toughness and some leadership skills. He has potential at the next level to be a good, solid starter for the team that drafts him.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE
Where should I start? First of all, he is not a LT for the next level. He lacks the lateral agility and he’s overweight. Not to mention that for a kid who has played LT for three years or more, his pass blocking techniques are very poor. He lunges, gets off balance and just does an overall poor job pass blocking.

TALENT BOARD ROUND: 4
I don’t know why this kid is rated so high. I guess it’s because he’s played LT at a big program for three years, which, to me, means nothing. I know that he is fighting a slight knee injury, but I’ve watched him for three years and I believe that for the next level he can play guard, but not OT. If he loses some weight, he might be able to play RT, but even that is a stretch. My question is this: Is he quick enough to play LG? I think he can if he loses some weight and is willing to work really hard; however, I just don’t see it right now on film and I have a lot of questions about Levi being rated so high. If you take him in the 4th or 5th rounds with the anticipation that he will play guard for you, then I have no problems at all. But if you draft him in one of the first three rounds thinking he is going to be a tackle and, in time, your left tackle, then I think you are setting the kid up to fail. He could be a solid guard and maybe a Pro Bowl LG, but it will take time and he has to lose weight. My feeling is that if a kid is gaining weight in college, more than likely, he’ll gain weight also once he receives a big paycheck. Levi can be a solid to very good guard in the NFL. He reminds me of Jonas Jennings (LT San Francisco 49ers.) When Jonas was with the Buffalo Bills, I always felt that he should have been moved into guard. He was injured all the time and in most games, was over-matched. He moved on, made a ton of money but is still having injury problems to this day. As a left guard, he would have been a Pro Bowl player and most likely had less shoulder injuries. Of course, Jonas would have made less money and I guess that’s really what it is all about!

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
stay away from LSU

Peterman was nothing for us
Green was nothing for us
James is an underachiever
Spears is an underachiever

for the record I wanted Peterman and Spears so I am disappointed with them...