xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tough but here are my three......
  • Bob Hayes
  • Deion Sanders
  • Darrell Green

Alexander Wright ran a 4.1 forty.
- He had no lateral agility and hands of stone, but in a straight line he was incredibly fast.

Teddy Williams in college beat Bob Hayes 100m best official 100 meter time.

Having said that, I don't think any football player in history could beat Deion in a footrace; although, Bo would be very close.

I still remember a game against the Raiders when they tried to go deep on Deion.
- The Raiders had Olympic Gold Metal winner James Jett at WR.
- Deion was faster than Jett by a wide margin.
- Deion after the game expressed that he felt disrespected that the Raiders would even try going deep on him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- He had no lateral agility and hands of stone, but in a straight line he was incredibly fast.

Having said that, I don't think any football player in history could beat Deion in a footrace; although, Bo would be very close.

I still remember a game against the Raiders when they tried to go deep on Deion.
- Deion after the game expressed that he felt disrespected that the Raiders would even try going deep on him.

Yes, Wright was my 1st thought. Ran fast, but not a football player.

DFWJC

Reaction score

conner01

Reaction score
40 times today at the combine are very accurate
Back in the day they were not
No one with a stop watch can accurately time a guy down to the tenth of a second
The 3 fastest guys to ever play in the nfl wouldn’t likely be the best really fast players to play
But one thing that is obvious is todays athletes as a whole are faster than those for decades ago
And the fastest official times aren’t always great players
There really is no way to know hype from fact with most of the times from years ago
Some guys play faster than they time also

conner01

Reaction score
Had to get all the way down to #13 before we could find a "real and official" 40 time. Actually at the combine with equal verifiable conditions and unbiased timers

All the rest before were on campus, usually bogus times. Add .05 to .15 to those times almost 100% of the time.
It’s impossible to compare official times to hype times put out by the players team who benefit recruiting wise from how this player does in the draft

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

I was thinking about Wright also.
Just shows you speed is not everything.
I don't think Emerson Walls was very fast, nor Emmitt.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It’s impossible to compare official times to hype times put out by the players team who benefit recruiting wise from how this player does in the draft
So true.
One thing that is almost certain is that the on-campus times are always, conveniently, much faster.

The old Alexander Wright 4.1 thing is a good example. The real time may have been closer to 4.3 for all we know, as it was just hand-timed, possibly even wind aided, he-said she-said time that we get so often outside the combine.

Some of those old times may've been real too, but we have no way to eally know for sure.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So true.
One thing that is almost certain is that the on-campus times are always, conveniently, much faster.

The old Alexander Wright 4.1 thing is a good example. The real time may have been closer to 4.3 for all we know, as it was just hand-timed, possibly even wind aided, he-said she-said time that we get so often outside the combine.

Some of those old times may've been real too, but we have no way to eally know for sure.

True but we got to see them play. Bo Jackson played with power and speed, unfortunately he had the hip injury that ended his career but the man was phenomenal both playing football and baseball.