Drafting a first round QB

HungryLion

Reaction score
As everyone knows there has been much debate over whether the Cowboys should extend Dak’s contract.

some believe the cowboys should let Dak walk and select a QB in the first round.

this thread is not intended to be a debate over how good Dak ultimately is. I just want to explore the history of drafting QB’s in the first round and see how often QB’s selected in the first round end up being better than Dak has been thus far.

I made a post on this previously in another thread a while back, but feel like it could be its own thread and is worth discussing more.

So, I am going to break down QB’s drafted in the first round from 2007 until 2017. That is 11 drafts total. I am not including QB’s from the two most recent drafts, because I feel it is too soon to make an accurate judgment on how good those QB’s are.

I am going to list every QB taken in the first round and also mark if they were top 5 or not.

2017-
Trubisky (top 5), Mahomes, Deshaun Watson.

2016- Goff (top 5), Wentz (top 5), Paxton Lynch

2015- Jameis Winston (top 5). Mariota (top 5).

2014- Blake Bortles (top 5), Manziel, Bridgewater

2013- Ej Manuel

2012- Luck (top 5), Griffin III (top 5), Tannehill, Weeden

2011- Cam Newton (top 5), Locker, Gabbert, Ponder

2010- Bradford (top 5), Tebow

2009- Stafford (top 5), Sanchez (top 5), Freeman

2008- Matt Ryan (top 5), Joe Flacco

2007- JaMarcus Russel (top 5), Brady Quinn

That is 29 total QB’s taken.

Now I realize that which of those QB’s is better than Dak and which ones aren’t, is open for some debate. I would list it like this:

QB’s better than Dak:
Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan

that is 5 of the last 29 that have been better than Dak.

QB’s in the same tier as Dak:
Goff, Wentz, Stafford, Flacco

That is 4 QB’s who are around the same tier as Dak overall.

Again, this is open for debate. But I think it’s a pretty fair list. There are a few you could argue if you want.

So of 29 QB’s taken, 5 have been clearly better. That is 17%

4 have been about the same as Dak. That is 14%

So you have a 17% chance of getting a QB better than Dak. And a 14% chance of getting one just as good.

That means you have a 69% chance of ending up with a QB that is not even as good as Dak has been.

Broken down further. 3 of the ones who have been better, were top 5 picks.

3 of the ones on the same level as Dak were top 5 picks.

15 of the 29 QB’s first round were drafted outside of the Top 5 picks. Only 3 of those 15 have been as good or better than Dak. That’s 20%

Only 20% of the QB’s drafted beyond top 5 has been as good or better than Dak.

What does this all mean?

In my opinion, what this means is, even though Dak is not an elite QB. Replacing him and getting an elite QB, or one better than him is FAR from a guaranteed thing. You have an 69% chance of drafting a QB who ends up not being even as good as Dak is.

The chances of getting a QB better than Dak plummets even further If you are taking one outside of the top 5. As we all know, high end QB prospects get taken very early in the draft.

So in my opinion, if the Cowboys do try and replace Dak with a first round QB. We have to remember that the chances are very good, that the QB won’t even be as good as Dak has been.

It’s not just about “let’s take a 1st round QB”. It has to be the RIGHT prospect.

We must also remember that to get a top 5 pick to have the best odds of landing a QB better than Dak. The Cowboys would have to either tank a season, or trade MULTIPLE first round picks, to move up into the top 5.

And even after all that, If that top 5 pick busts or isn’t any better than Dak. You have wasted a bunch of draft capital, and are no better off at the position than you currently are. Or even worse, your QB sucks and you have to draft another QB a few years later again, all the while having a team that can’t win.

I have said in the past, that I would not necessarily just be opposed to letting Dak walk. But as the history shows, replacing Dak could be much much more difficult than just throwing a first round pick at the QB position. There are a ton of QB’s taken high, who never amount to anything.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Nice. Let's do it.

dtQLbth.jpg

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
In the 2016 draft, the Cowboys only took Dak after trying to trade up for Paxton Lynch (1st round) then Connor Cook (3rd). They fell into Dak by accident.

Go back a bit in time, when Jerry moved to get Quincy Carter. They fell into Romo by accident.

Then let's not forget Jerry wanted Johnny Football, but was finally talked out of it by everyone in the room.

"Dump Dak and draft a 'franchise' QB!"

It sounds so easy, but remember who will be doing the picking.

ShortRound

Reaction score
In the 2016 draft, the Cowboys only took Dak after trying to trade up for Paxton Lynch (1st round) then Connor Cook (3rd). They fell into Dak by accident.

Go back a bit in time, when Jerry moved to get Quincy Carter. They fell into Romo by accident.

Then let's not forget Jerry wanted Johnny Football, but was finally talked out of it by everyone in the room.

Yeah and then look at someone like Elway and his luck with QB's. I don't think it's as easy as people think it is.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Nice. Let's do it.

dtQLbth.jpg

I hope it doesn’t come to that. Honestly, I don’t want it to break down into a argument over how good Dak is or whatever.

I just wanted to have an honest look at what the odds of adequately replacing him really is.

As the post shows, the chances of landing an elite QB even with a first round QB, are pretty damn slim.

HungryLion

Reaction score

absolutely, I agree 100%.
And like I said in my post. It’s not about “just draft a QB in the first round”. It has to be the RIGHT prospect.

look at the list. It’s littered with QB’s who ended up being trash in the league.

ShortRound

Reaction score
I hope it doesn’t come to that. Honestly, I don’t want it to break down into a argument over how good Dak is or whatever.

I just wanted to have an honest look at what the odds of adequately replacing him really is.

As the post shows, the chances of landing an elite QB even with a first round QB, are pretty damn slim.

I was being silly. I'm rooting for Dak, will be interesting when we sign Dak, what we do about HC.

catiii

Reaction score

Good point!!
Especially in light of what JJ said about Aikman we can only assume it was why he chosen :eek:
Something about a shower if I remember.... :lmao:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Another "It's hard to find a great QB, so you have to settle" thread.

Cute. Dak is still middling.

It's funny how many of you think it's hard to find a great QB, but don't understand how hard it is to build and keep an elite defense together long enough to get a QB like Dak to a Super Bowl.

Good luck with that. It's easier to hit on a franchise QB these days than getting a 3-4 studs on your defense that take it over the top.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
on a serious note this was the point i was trying to make but couldn't word it as well as the OP did here.

i am not automatic on signing DP but i can see how people can go either way.

i think what ruffles people's feathers is the fact that DP wouldn't be replaced due to the law of averages that his his replacement wouldn't be better than him. especially for the ones who already believe DP is a lousy quarterback.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Good analysis. Cam Newton is interesting. I’m not sure I would put him above Dak but it begs the question, would you rather have Cam at $21 million per year or Dak at $33+? Cam’s contract ends in 2020 but he is clearly in the decline.