DT Malik McDowell to be released

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Unless those knocks included;

"Highly likely to wind up in career threatening ATV accident"

I'm not sure how that has to do with anything.

Not necessarily about the ATV, but here's this:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/malik-mcdowell?id=2557970

WEAKNESSES
Footwork and technique are a mess. Plays with inconsistent base width and overall balance. Struggles to keep feet clean and ends up on the ground. Lines up in narrow, three-point stance from interior and struggles to fight back against down blocks and double teams. Can be washed out of his gap too often. High center of gravity made interior work a challenge at times. Can bend, but lets high pad level get the best of him. Doesn't consistently utilize his length with first hands. Has to become better at controlling the point of attack with his natural attributes. Needs to punch and control rather than leaning on blockers. Production doesn't match up with the traits and the talent. Scouts concerned about work ethic and leadership.

That right there is my concern with him and screamed problem to me. Though, I suppose Marinelli could do better with him in that standpoint.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Not necessarily about the ATV, but here's this:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/malik-mcdowell?id=2557970

WEAKNESSES
Footwork and technique are a mess. Plays with inconsistent base width and overall balance. Struggles to keep feet clean and ends up on the ground. Lines up in narrow, three-point stance from interior and struggles to fight back against down blocks and double teams. Can be washed out of his gap too often. High center of gravity made interior work a challenge at times. Can bend, but lets high pad level get the best of him. Doesn't consistently utilize his length with first hands. Has to become better at controlling the point of attack with his natural attributes. Needs to punch and control rather than leaning on blockers. Production doesn't match up with the traits and the talent. Scouts concerned about work ethic and leadership.

That right there is my concern with him and screamed problem to me. Though, I suppose Marinelli could do better with him in that standpoint.

He was a very young and raw player. Immaturity concerns, for sure. The talent was also undeniable.

Shame

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I remember you were really high on him last year.

Yeah, I thought out of the options that would be available at 27 he was far and away the most talented and had an enourmous ceiling. Understood the concerns some had, but I would have been willing to roll the dice on those traits. Thought he had the everything you wanted in a 3T.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He was a very young and raw player. Immaturity concerns, for sure. The talent was also undeniable.

Shame

Oh, for sure it's unfortunate. I just smelled bust in him the time I read about him during the combine last year. I didn't foresee him totaling an ATV, but I felt that on the field he'd be a bust. Little did I know that he'd turn into a 2nd round version of Matt Johnson doing things that I'd expect from Steve-O (who would probably be smarter on an ATV).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I thought out of the options that would be available at 27 he was far and away the most talented and had an enourmous ceiling. Understood the concerns some had, but I would have been willing to roll the dice on those traits. Thought he had the everything you wanted in a 3T.

In retrospect, it's fortunate that the Cowboys didn't.

From the sounds of it, he might have busted already.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Oh, for sure it's unfortunate. I just smelled bust in him the time I read about him during the combine last year. I didn't foresee him totaling an ATV, but I felt that on the field he'd be a bust. Little did I know that he'd turn into a 2nd round version of Matt Johnson doing things that I'd expect from Steve-O (who would probably be smarter on an ATV).

There's really no comparison between Malik McDowell and Matt Johnson as prospects.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Well, I was saying about the fact that Matt Johnson didn't see the field at all either (though, in his case, that wasn't necessarily his fault).

Matt Johnson and Charles Rogers were very similar prospects as well in that regard.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who knows. That's kind of a freak situation.

Sure it is, but it wasn't surprising for a player with his track record.

And it says a lot that Seattle would simply be done with him already. Speaks volumes.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Matt Johnson and Charles Rogers were very similar prospects as well in that regard.

Yeah, and I was more or less making a joke about it, though it may have been a bit tasteless. Regardless, I've ridden an ATV once, and I learned to keep it slow. Like, don't rev it too much.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
No one's giving him a big contract. In this case I'd just give him a cheap, heavy incentive based deal and if he still can't count to potato by preseason cut him.
:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

Well,I perused some of his voice to text comments posted on certain website media where he's stated potato is also his favorite coloro_O

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Sure it is, but it wasn't surprising for a player with his track record.

And it says a lot that Seattle would simply be done with him already. Speaks volumes.

Lol, I guess I must have missed the reported track record of high speed risk taking behavior in his scouting report.

And it does speak volumes, the injury sounded really bad.

kskboys

Reaction score
He's dumb, but he could probably make a good 3T here with Irving if he decides he wants to make plays.
Too skinny.

Lanky pass rushers generally just don't make it. Never understood the hoopla over him.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Too skinny.

Lanky pass rushers generally just don't make it. Never understood the hoopla over him.

He's basically a clone of Hatcher and Irving physically. 6'6 34+ inch arms, except he's a little heavier than Irving and probably around the weight Hatcher played at when he dominated (295)

Those guys have done very well at the 3

kskboys

Reaction score
He's basically a clone of Hatcher and Irving physically. 6'6 34+ inch arms, except he's a little heavier than Irving and probably around the weight Hatcher played at when he dominated (295)

Those guys have done very well at the 3
Those are the exceptions.

So far, Irving is a tweener whose best off the bench. More of a situational pass rusher.

I think Hatcher played at 6-6/300. This dude came in at 6-6/274. Did he gain a bunch of weight?

gmoney112

Reaction score
Those are the exceptions.

So far, Irving is a tweener whose best off the bench. More of a situational pass rusher.

I think Hatcher played at 6-6/300. This dude came in at 6-6/274. Did he gain a bunch of weight?

Has him at 295 from the Combine