• 3 T Odighizuwa: 30
  • 3 T Neville Gallimore: 30
  • DE Dorance Armstrong: 29
  • 1 T DT Trysten Hill: 28
  • DE Tarell Basham: 27
  • DE Carlos Watkins: 19
  • DE Chauncey Golston: 18
  • 1 T DT Quinton Bohanna: 7
This is the snap count from the game Sunday. That's a pretty good group of pass rushers and I love the rotation to keep guys fresh.
But does anything stand out to ya'll? What I see is a whole lot of DE's, a couple 3 tech's, but very very little true 1 Tech players and/or plays for them.
I see this as an advantage in passing situations, but on short yardage/goal line and on running plays in general we are being "out weighed" on the inside. True 1 tech DT has long been overlooked by this FO and it still is hurting this team.

Bohanna at 360# is our only true 1 Tech on this team. And tbh, he just isn't ready for the trenches.

We have 3 IMO, tweeners:
Hill is 308#
Watkins (listed as a DE?) is 305#
Gallimore is 302#

Odigi at 280# is a true 3 Tech
Now these weights maybe wrong, but this is what is listed on the team site so it's what I'm going off of.

That was probably one of the best Dline performances for the Cowboys since the 90's

J-man

Reaction score
Ratliff was a NT at 305 lbs. He was awesome before going cray cray.

Jay was awesome, but under sized for the 1T and was washed out of most running plays inside. He could generate pass rush from the inside at a high level, which is why Jerry likes his 1T smaller and quicker. But that doesn't stop the run.

J-man

Reaction score
They RARELY change the info on that page. DLaw hasn’t sniffed 265 in well over 2 years and the Liram dude (the kicker) got signed to another team days ago
:laugh:

sadly I think you're right, they don't even have current players listed that are on the depth chart!

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Ratliff was a NT at 305 lbs. He was awesome before going cray cray.

Yeah I don't care too much about weight. The defense needs a difference maker inside. Someone to push the pocket with either power, quickness or both. You add 2008-2009 Ratliff to this defense, we're cooking.

817Gill

Reaction score
  • LB/DE Parsons: 54
  • DE DeMarcus Lawrence: 47
  • DE Randy Gregory: 31
This is the snap count from the game Sunday. That's a pretty good group of pass rushers and I love the rotation to keep guys fresh.
But does anything stand out to ya'll? What I see is a whole lot of DE's, a couple 3 tech's, but very very little true 1 Tech players and/or plays for them.
I see this as an advantage in passing situations, but on short yardage/goal line and on running plays in general we are being "out weighed" on the inside. True 1 tech DT has long been overlooked by this FO and it still is hurting this team.

Bohanna at 360# is our only true 1 Tech on this team. And tbh, he just isn't ready for the trenches.

We have 3 IMO, tweeners:
Hill is 308#
Gallimore is 302#

Now these weights maybe wrong, but this is what is listed on the team site so it's what I'm going off of.
Gallimore is no longer 302, that was his rookie weight. He’s the 1T you’re looking for as he’s around 320ish right now. I discussed it in detail in this thread:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/gallimore’s-weight.489606/

Einstein

Reaction score

We have 3 IMO, tweeners:
Hill is 308#
Gallimore is 302#

Justin Hamilton is another 3T type at 315 and he's be between the roster and PS most of the year

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love me some Gallimore, but i'm hesitant to put him in as a 1T. He seems to be a plus pass rusher, but has struggled against the run going back to last year, especially double teams. Not knocking the guy, but reading blocks at the NFL level takes time/reps. I'd rotate him in mostly on passing downs and let him play a shoot the gap role. Only issue is that seems to be what the majority of our DTs are right now.
He has only played one game this year, and he was a rookie last year with a bad supporting cast around him, so I don't think it's fair to make that assessment at this point. Judging from how he pushed the center all the way back into the QB on his sack Sunday I have to believe he's strong enough to be hold his own against the run.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to the Media Guide, the DT weights were:

• Hill - 300lbs. (he looks even SMALLER now)
  • OO - 294
  • Gallimore - 310 (looks even bigger)
  • Urban - 308
  • Watkins - 305
  • Bohanna - 330
  • Hamilton - 315
Thanks for looking this up. I was going to do it myself so you saved me the trouble.

I think some members here would be shocked if they spent time looking at the starting DT's for teams that run a 4-3, and found the huge 325+ lb DT's aren't as common as they might think. Even some 3-4 NT's aren't that size, but particularly in defenses with 2 interior linemen it's not at all uncommon for both to be about the size the Cowboys use.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We have 3 IMO, tweeners:
Hill is 308#
Gallimore is 302#

The Cowboys were up 18-0 at one point. That means more passing by the opponent. They've had games with three 1tech types playing significant snaps and other games with only 1 of 3 playing much.

Also they played snaps vs WFT with 5 DL. That is with Parsons considered a LB.

What is stronger vs the run...
5 DEs and 1 LB

2 DEs, 2 DTs, 2LBs

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
He has only played one game this year, and he was a rookie last year with a bad supporting cast around him, so I don't think it's fair to make that assessment at this point. Judging from how he pushed the center all the way back into the QB on his sack Sunday I have to believe he's strong enough to be hold his own against the run.
Wait…your going to say all of last year plus 1 game this year is a small sample size, but your argument is literally based around 1 play?

it literally has nothing to do with strength. I think he is as physically gifted as it gets, but there is more to the role than being strong. The guy needs reps to fully develop. Come playoff time I don’t want him learning on the job. Let him specialize in what he does best and reevaluate for next year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait…your going to say all of last year plus 1 game this year is a small sample size, but your argument is literally based around 1 play?

it literally has nothing to do with strength. I think he is as physically gifted as it gets, but there is more to the role than being strong. The guy needs reps to fully develop. Come playoff time I don’t want him learning on the job. Let him specialize in what he does best and reevaluate for next year.
I said he was a rookie last year, not that he didn't play last year.

I find it funny you are saying he needs reps to develop while at the same time trying to argue he has played enough to have a full picture

And no, I am not just talking about one play, I just used that play as an illustration. And it's nonsense to say it has nothing to do with strength. A 350 lb blob without a lot of strength can get pushed around a lot more than a 310 lb guy with strength. Both upper body and leg strength are important in setting an anchor. Being quick off the ball, as he was on the play in question, also helps with a favorable position.

Take the time to look at the depth charts of teams that run a 4-3. Having starting DT's about the size Dallas has is not uncommon, even with very good defenses.

exciter

Reaction score
This is info is on the Dallas team page. Bo is listed at 360, Watkins a DE
Lol, it’s a poorly kept secret that that site is notorious for being inaccurate keeping up with current player weights. 360 was the weight Kansas listed him at. His official combine weight was 327, looking at him now I’d guess he’s closer to 320. Watkins was a 5tech DE in Houston’s 34. Obviously moving to a 43 he would project to DT. It’s was pretty clear from press conferences before the season that he was going to play 1tech here and most probably be the starter at said position and has now started 11 of 13 games at the position minus the 2 he missed with the knee sprain!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The play you are referring to was a pass play.

I love Gallimore, but he's a 3 Tech. Yes, he can play 1 Tech, but he isn't a 1 Tech. He is a perfect fit to play 1 tech on passing downs, as he can use his speed to get push inside. Especially now with Odigi here to play the 3 when he slides over. That's a fantastic "nascar" package of D-Law, Odigi, Galli and Gregory!
But when he plays 1 Tech on a regular basis, he can and does still get moved on most running plays.
We need a beast at the 1 tech. We hope Bohanna can develop into that player, time will tell.
NASCAR package was 4 pass rushing de’s. Tuck inside was the biggest mismatch due to his quickness

Zman5

Reaction score
Jay was awesome, but under sized for the 1T and was washed out of most running plays inside. He could generate pass rush from the inside at a high level, which is why Jerry likes his 1T smaller and quicker. But that doesn't stop the run.

I don't know what you saw but he was a good run defender. He was the first guy there to slow down and/or stop the runner in many plays.

It's a myth you have to be really big to be a good 1T. You just have to be big enough and have athleticism.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I said he was a rookie last year, not that he didn't play last year.

I find it funny you are saying he needs reps to develop while at the same time trying to argue he has played enough to have a full picture

And no, I am not just talking about one play, I just used that play as an illustration. And it's nonsense to say it has nothing to do with strength. A 350 lb blob without a lot of strength can get pushed around a lot more than a 310 lb guy with strength. Both upper body and leg strength are important in setting an anchor. Being quick off the ball, as he was on the play in question, also helps with a favorable position.

Take the time to look at the depth charts of teams that run a 4-3. Having starting DT's about the size Dallas has is not uncommon, even with very good defenses.

None of that is really what i'm arguing at all, and from that response I actually agree with most of what you're saying.

1) He does need reps to develop, and i'm all for getting him those reps, just not in the closing weeks of a playoff run. Week 17/18 if we have everything pretty much determined thats different. If we have a multi score lead against the Giants this week, thats different. I'd try to maximize his reps in situations he is really good at this year, and not try to make him an early down nose or 1T.

2) I'm not saying size/strength is not an issue for him, he has excellent size/strength for an NFL DT. I'm saying from what i have watched on film he doesnt seem to read & react to blocks very well, which can make him a liability in the run game. He is a physical freak who excels in that gap shooter type of role. Now he may have gotten significantly better from year 1 to year 2, however given the lack of snaps hes had this season, im skeptical. Also given that his overall grading from the Washington game was pretty mediocre despite some impact plays i'm assuming he still has some issues here. I've not actually watched the Washington game back so I could be wrong here.

3) Again i'm not arguing his size as an issue at all. I'd actually prefer the smaller/quicker inside DTs as the massive eat up space guys just get walled off in todays game.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think Gallimore makes up for his modest weight by being extremely strong.

Yet, I'm hoping for a huge 1 tech to be among our upcoming draft picks. :)

I do feel that Quinton Bohanna will be stronger with devoted weight training.

Last edited:

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Serious question Mr analyst. How’s Bashem been grading? I think he’s been pretty active up front. What say you?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Gallimore is strong like bull. He can play 1T just because of that as he drove WFT’s C back into Heinicke, got the sack and hurt the C in the process. Baby Vea.

Gallimore always seemed more suited to be a balanced run/pass 1T than a pass rushing 3T. Strong, low to the ground, good straight ahead burst and motor. Doesn't have the length or lateral agility for a premiere 3T, but is still the best we've got.

Ironically, Gallimore is the ideal Marinelli 1T. Much like Pollard is the ideal RB/WR hybrid that Garrett was looking for over a decade.

Should be the 3T on run shaded downs, 1T on pass downs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Hamilton is 315. A better option as the run defending 1T over Watkins.

3T, 1T
Gallimore, Hamilton - Run
Osa/Hill, Gallimore - Pass

Osa seems to have run out of gas at 3T, and Hill never had any. But we just don't have much at DT. Gallimore is the only guy you can really want to have on the field, and he should be there every snap he can handle. He's not great, just looks great in comparison to the other poor options.