Twitter: DT Trysten Hill suspended 2 games for punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Not really, Im sorry "did you throw a punch" its 2 games...GM's could be very clear ...if you throw a punch while in uniform on gameday on the field..its 2 games. Seems pretty simple.

A mandatory 1-game suspension I can get with but I would leave flexibility in there for degree of foul for situations like Myles Garrett or what Albert Haynesworth did to Andre Gurode (both got 5 games) that are just egregious. Toney's miss is nowhere as bad as that Chicago Bears player's display and should have included a harsher sentence for him, IMO. I suspect this is why its left to discretion now. This is one of many situations where I don't think you can just straight line it and leave it.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yes, the league officials are biased.

Yes, many ex-players in positions of authority still hate the Cowboys.

However, knowing this, the simplest and best way to never dealing with this reality is don't do anything that gives them the power to enforce punishments on a Cowboy s player.

I don't care about what the league did to players for other teams, what Hill did was selfish and inconsiderate to his teammates who desperately needed him for the upcoming games. Defensive tackle is a weakness for the Cowboys only because of the series of injuries to those in the squad with the most potential to contribute and Hill was one of them. After fighting back from injury to join the team seemingly at the best time, he takes himself out of two games.

We have seen that NFL football is a game of inches, literally. One play by one person can win or lose a game. Hill has talent. He was one of the leading tacklers in the Thanksgiving game. Add in Lawrence for next week and the defense has just improved dramatically. But change that, at least for the time being, because Hill decided to throw away his participation in the next two game. We had another potential playmaker ejected during the game. Right or wrong, Kelvin Joseph was not there for the rest of the game.

The injuries and the protocols have been robbing the Cowboys of talent during the games all season long. Now we have to add in stupidity in the form of game suspensions from La'el and now Hill? Ridiculous. Hill is one of the last Garrett era drafts and this is what "the right kind of player" had been reduced to?
Good point...................Cowboy players have to be extra careful to not step out of line.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
A mandatory 1-game suspension I can get with but I would leave flexibility in there for degree of foul for situations like Myles Garrett or what Albert Haynesworth did to Andre Gurode (both got 5 games) that are just egregious. Toney's miss is nowhere as bad as that Chicago Bears player's display and should have included a harsher sentence for him, IMO. I suspect this is why its left to discretion now. This is one of many situations where I don't think you can just straight line it and leave it.

But that wasnt a punch he assaulted another man with his helmet...easy again for me if you do that you suspended full 17 games, including playoffs. dont take your helmet off and start hitting people. Yes the center should get 2 games for throwing a punch just pull him off and keep your helmet on.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
These rule breaking Cowboys really need to learn their lesson.

The next time CeeDee Lamb goes out there and one of his socks gets rolled down he's done for the season. I mean enough is enough.

Seriously though, nobody can compare what Hill did to what the Giants' Kadarius Toney did and not cry BS.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
These rule breaking Cowboys really need to learn their lesson.

The next time CeeDee Lamb goes out there and one of his socks gets rolled down he's done for the season. I mean enough is enough.

Seriously though, nobody can compare what Hill did to what the Giants' Kadarius Toney did and not cry BS.

agreed

MarcusRock

Reaction score
But that wasnt a punch he assaulted another man with his helmet...easy again for me if you do that you suspended full 17 games, including playoffs. dont take your helmet off and start hitting people. Yes the center should get 2 games for throwing a punch just pull him off and keep your helmet on.

Well during that fracas, Pouncey actually threw 5 punches at Garrett and a kick to the head all while he was being pinned down by another player. Do you suspend him for 10 games for 5 punches and maybe more for the kick? As I said before, this isn't a simple, straight line thing. You have to allow for flexibility to punish degree.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I've said it before but it's not pro-league or pro-refs or anything else. It's anti-whining. People claim bias in this case (and almost every other) so I presented a case just last year where the NFL suspended a guy for the same 2 games plus ejected him from his game for this degree of foul. And there are clearly degrees. There was a thread that basically cheered this behavior by Hill but now want to cry victim when the punishment comes down that's been laid down before? That's garbage.
No answer to why you're so thematic about what you choose to argue over.
I mean, there is whining about everything, but you choose this topic to crusade.

I was just wondering why.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Well during that fracas, Pouncey actually threw 5 punches at Garrett and a kick all while he was being pinned down by another player. Do you suspend him for 10 games for 5 punches and maybe more for the kick? As I said before, this isn't a simple, straight line thing. You have to allow for flexibility to punish degree.

But what line drawn in the sand spells it out, again your giving me all examples that are judgements...if the judgements i said are in place ..pouncey would know..grab him but if you throw a punch your gone for 2.....maybe he doesnt do it..right?

I mean literally other than keeping the power to change punishment ..what is the reason for not making things black and white..its not hard.

Mark

Reaction score
Yet the fan-faithful remain convinced the NFL is all about strict integrity, high-minded principles of fair play, equal justice under the rules, traditional American (read: military) values, Mom & Dad, and apple pie...a benevolent, multi-billion dollar organization lacking the slightest inclination or motive to manipulate outcomes to serve the needs & wishes of its masters. The League (in my opinion) is a corrupt, disgusting joke, and they're not even attempting to hide it anymore.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
No answer to why you're so thematic about what you choose to argue over.
I mean, there is whining about everything, but you choose this topic to crusade.

I was just wondering why.

The whining is usually confined to the league is out to get us or the refs are out to get us. Every now and then you get that Mara or another owner is out to get us but you can't pull stats, rules, or video for that so I usually got nothin' for those cases and I like to bring evidence if I'm going to oppose whining. Just how it turns out.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
The NFL explained it perfectly for you. Make total sense. Try reading it a couple times over and maybe it will sink in.
No all they did was recite the rule. No explanation as to why his violation was so much worse than the hundred other punches thrown this year that didn’t end with a suspension.

it’s clear you don’t like the kid so it’s all good. But as a fan of the team I question why the standard for him is different than the others. You haven’t and they haven’t explained that because it can’t be explained.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
But what line drawn in the sand spells it out, again your giving me all examples that are judgements...if the judgements i said are in place ..pouncey would know..grab him but if you throw a punch your gone for 2.....maybe he doesnt do it..right?

I mean literally other than keeping the power to change punishment ..what is the reason for not making things black and white..its not hard.

People are going to do it regardless. Elevated testosterone almost demands it. No one is thinking about fines or suspensions when they do it. So are you saying Toney and Pouncey should get the same thing?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
People are going to do it regardless. Elevated testosterone almost demands it. No one is thinking about fines or suspensions when they do it. So are you saying Toney and Pouncey should get the same thing?

Yes unless you write rules to seperate the punishments..see I'm not arguing it was bad..Im saying its happened enough they should have written rules that define them..the whole "judgement call" doesnt work.

BTW i know you get the irony in saying that Toni and Hill did not do the same thing....

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Right when your chest to chest with another man yelling...the next thing to generally happen is?

You lose your composure, do something useless and stupid, then get suspended for two games?

Seems like there are smarter options.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
You lose your composure, do something useless and stupid, then get suspended for two games?

Seems like there are smarter options.

Of course i was answering if it was a cheap shot...it was most definatley a dumb shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.