Dumbfounded, perplexed, and confused by the lack of interest in Dez

Verdict

Reaction score
Ok, here's the real deal:

1. Dez has been a very poor receiver for three full years. He had a couple of feasts against really bad teams during that poor three years that lets you fool yourself into thinking maybe he has something left in the tank and/or he would be ok, if the QB could just get him the ball.

2. Dez hasn't tried to improve himself really during his entire stint in the league and he is really too dense to understand route running or doesn't care to do it. Either way teams have given up on him ever learning how to run a route.

3. Dez isn't and wasn't ever as good as he thought he was. He is a problem for a coach to deal with. The TV show magnified that and put it in display for the world to see.

4. The twitter meltdown was epic when he was cut and he has followed that up by trolling the team even after their loss against Carolina. None of that helped his cause.

5. Dez came across as unprofessional in Hard Knocks. He showed up looking like he just came off of a practice field in the hood. Very unprofessional and a bad move.

6. Teams have been playing against Dez and watch the film every week. They know how bad he really is.

7. People are fooled at Dez' success because Romo was just that great of a QB. He knew how to bring the best out of Dez and turned that one trick pony a TD factory for a period of time. Dez doesn't have that kind of ability and Romos don't grow on trees.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hear ya, but every since that deal was signed he didn't put up elite numbers to match his deal.
Maybe it was the foot injury, or Dak not having chemistry/ball placement. But that's just the way the NFL goes sometimes. He didn't put up the type of numbers needed for his contract to be valid, so off he went.

True, with big money comes big expectations. Comparing him to any other WR on the team not exactly the same. Dallas paid big and expected big they got much less than what they paid for and got attitude along with it.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've all been hard on Dez at times. We've also lavished him with praise at other times. He's certainly an enigma wrapped in a mystery inside a puzzle.

I supported his release, but I also winced in the process. I knew he wouldn't react well, and I fully expected a feeling out process from the rest of the league.

But there is no way in Hades I thought he'd be sitting at home on September 20th after Week 2. Not a chance in the world.

Just how bad was he in the locker room? What is out there that apparently none of us know? I'm watching 31 other teams ignore his availability without an offer, outside of a made-for-Hard-Knocks meeting with the Browns.

Corey Coleman has been traded and picked up twice. Josh Gordon is making the rounds. BRICE BUTLER was signed here. Several other receivers are getting released and picked up.

How is Dez not paired up with Rodgers in Green Bay or Brady in New England? Those guys and a few others can deliver the type of throws that made him so successful here for so long. Dez is a touchdown-scoring machine with back-shoulder and high-point throws on target.

Meanwhile, crickets on the Dez front. Still.

I'm sitting here thinking, shoot, $2 million for a one-year deal? Bring him back. If nobody wants him for cheap, the Cowboys aren't risking anything by bringing him back in the fold. You can release him if it's not working for nothing because it's a game-by-game payout now.

I repeat, what is out there that we don't know?

Those All-or-Nothing videos did Dez no favors. He looked like a petulant, out-of-control child at times. But Dez is a gamer, too. While he might have a route tree that looks like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, there's no question about his passion on game day, which is mostly good and sometimes bad.

If you're not strapped to him with a big contract, where's the risk? I just don't get it.

What do we not understand?
Maybe he has plenty of money and doesn't want to play for just anyone. He is being picky, even if it means he won't play again. He's been offered two contracts, that we know of.

kskboys

Reaction score
We've all been hard on Dez at times. We've also lavished him with praise at other times. He's certainly an enigma wrapped in a mystery inside a puzzle.

I supported his release, but I also winced in the process. I knew he wouldn't react well, and I fully expected a feeling out process from the rest of the league.

But there is no way in Hades I thought he'd be sitting at home on September 20th after Week 2. Not a chance in the world.

Just how bad was he in the locker room? What is out there that apparently none of us know? I'm watching 31 other teams ignore his availability without an offer, outside of a made-for-Hard-Knocks meeting with the Browns.

Corey Coleman has been traded and picked up twice. Josh Gordon is making the rounds. BRICE BUTLER was signed here. Several other receivers are getting released and picked up.

How is Dez not paired up with Rodgers in Green Bay or Brady in New England? Those guys and a few others can deliver the type of throws that made him so successful here for so long. Dez is a touchdown-scoring machine with back-shoulder and high-point throws on target.

Meanwhile, crickets on the Dez front. Still.

I'm sitting here thinking, shoot, $2 million for a one-year deal? Bring him back. If nobody wants him for cheap, the Cowboys aren't risking anything by bringing him back in the fold. You can release him if it's not working for nothing because it's a game-by-game payout now.

I repeat, what is out there that we don't know?

Those All-or-Nothing videos did Dez no favors. He looked like a petulant, out-of-control child at times. But Dez is a gamer, too. While he might have a route tree that looks like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, there's no question about his passion on game day, which is mostly good and sometimes bad.

If you're not strapped to him with a big contract, where's the risk? I just don't get it.

What do we not understand?
Route running.

The key to a good QB is WR's who are where they are supposed to be. Dez likes to freelance. Honestly, there were many times I couldn't figure out what he was doing. I suspect he simply forgot his route or something, not sure.

Brady and Rodgers want nothing to do w/ a WR who is not where they put the ball. I'm on the opposite fence here as you, I would've been completely shocked if an org like one of these two signed him. He would not fit.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Why did dez visit the browns and then ultimately decide against it? Was it the money they offered, or did he see something on the visit he didn’t like.

kskboys

Reaction score
Every receiver on the team declined in production last season. That's not necessarily all on Dez.
There's your problem, EROD. Narrow mindedness. You are just so sure that it's all on Dak that you've got blinders on.

Think of it this way. Dak needs to improve. Since Dez isn't always where he's supposed to be, he was not going to help Dak improve.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
No, I'm just making the point that Dez' lack of production is constantly stated, but Witten and Beasley also had down years. Williams didn't even score a touchdown.

It's not fair to just say Dez regressed. The whole offense regressed.
It wasn't just a decrease in production with Dez, like it was with everyone else. Aside from his "passion" that had to be dealt with, his drops increased and balls that he used to be able to come down with suddenly became "uncatchable" and required perfectly thrown balls. He lost what actually made him special even though he wasn't a great route runner. That made him a dime-a-dozen receiver who has a big ego and wants a fat paycheck. It's not surprising there is little interest.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No, I'm just making the point that Dez' lack of production is constantly stated, but Witten and Beasley also had down years. Williams didn't even score a touchdown.

It's not fair to just say Dez regressed. The whole offense regressed.
Elliott had more receiving yards than 2016.

erod

Reaction score
There's your problem, EROD. Narrow mindedness. You are just so sure that it's all on Dak that you've got blinders on.

Think of it this way. Dak needs to improve. Since Dez isn't always where he's supposed to be, he was not going to help Dak improve.

I'm not denying Dez has regressed some, and I don't blame this all on Dak.

I'm just saying....1 year for $1.5 million or so? You can cut him anytime and owe him nothing more? Seems like he's good enough for that. He's not the worst receiver in football for crying out loud.

But there's something else. Just can't figure out what it is.

Little Jr

Reaction score
There you go. Erod's real intention finally came out.

So because Dak sucks, Dez got cut cold turkey, and no good team wants to sign him?

Yeah, it's all Dak's fault. Smh
Lmao. He does this all the time. He starts a thread that has nothing to do with Dak but could get Dak sucks conversation going. It's actually quite genius is some ways lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ok, here's the real deal:

1. Dez has been a very poor receiver for three full years. He had a couple of feasts against really bad teams during that poor three years that lets you fool yourself into thinking maybe he has something left in the tank and/or he would be ok, if the QB could just get him the ball.

2. Dez hasn't tried to improve himself really during his entire stint in the league and he is really too dense to understand route running or doesn't care to do it. Either way teams have given up on him ever learning how to run a route.

3. Dez isn't and wasn't ever as good as he thought he was. He is a problem for a coach to deal with. The TV show magnified that and put it in display for the world to see.

4. The twitter meltdown was epic when he was cut and he has followed that up by trolling the team even after their loss against Carolina. None of that helped his cause.

5. Dez came across as unprofessional in Hard Knocks. He showed up looking like he just came off of a practice field in the hood. Very unprofessional and a bad move.

6. Teams have been playing against Dez and watch the film every week. They know how bad he really is.

7. People are fooled at Dez' success because Romo was just that great of a QB. He knew how to bring the best out of Dez and turned that one trick pony a TD factory for a period of time. Dez doesn't have that kind of ability and Romos don't grow on trees.
Nicely done.

ShortRound

Reaction score
I think he could still be a threat, but he's an idiot and I don't think anyone's desperate enough to risk it. Not yet at least.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

I'm just saying....1 year for $1.5 million or so? You can cut him anytime and owe him nothing more? Seems like he's good enough for that. He's not the worst receiver in football for crying out loud.

Why would you want a player who has so many issues? There's a reason he's not in Dallas.

kskboys

Reaction score

EROD, he won't run his routes. As Verdict says, I'm not sure if he can't learn, or just refuses.

Vet QB's would not put up w/ it. Young QB's can be ruined by guys like him. Try to match him up w/ any team, and you'll see the conflict.

It's not lack of production so much as it is the why of lack of production. And the why is poor route running and dropped passes.

John813

Reaction score

Probably ego on Dez part. Go from 14 mil a year(average) to 1.5m?
Money is money but I bet for some players who were great, and he was for 3 years, the ego will refuse "lesser" deals or teams.

Sydla

Reaction score
Combination of him being a pain in the tookus, probably some tough demands salary wise relative to how good teams view him now, etc.

I can see why Dallas wouldn't want him back. But other teams? NE wanted no part of him and wanted Gordon instead (granted the upside of Gordon at this point is higher than Dez's). Philly is bringing back Jordan Matthews and could bring in Jeremy Maclin next week. But those guys played in Philly and for Pederson so maybe they are just looking for familiarity.

erod

Reaction score
Why would you want a player who has so many issues? There's a reason he's not in Dallas.

He's not in Dallas, at least partly, because he was making Julio Jones money without being anything close to Julio Jones.

A lot of NFL receivers have issues that aren't as physically gifted as Dez.

There's an underlying reason for this. There has to be. That's all I'm saying.

I get that no team wanted to commit to a full-year salary. But now, it's just game-to-game commitment. Seems very low risk for teams in need of a big, physical red zone receiver.

kskboys

Reaction score
He's not in Dallas, at least partly, because he was making Julio Jones money without being anything close to Julio Jones.

A lot of NFL receivers have issues that aren't as physically gifted as Dez.

There's an underlying reason for this. There has to be. That's all I'm saying.

I get that no team wanted to commit to a full-year salary. But now, it's just game-to-game commitment. Seems very low risk for teams in need of a big, physical red zone receiver.
Red zone receivers have to be where they are supposed to be EROD. It's like, you're refusing to see it. Yes, Dez has tremendous talent. So does Brice Butler. Why does no one want Brice?