Dump Every High Salary!

phildadon86

Reaction score
Since big and little are too cheap to field a contender, let’s see what the roster would look like if they got rid of every player making any sort of decent money (trade or cut). Not realistic of course but what the hell

QB Rush
RB they are all cheap
WR Tolbert, Brooks, Flournoy
TE they are all cheap
LT Guyton
LG Smith
C Cooper
RG Bass
RT Richards

DE Sam
DE Kneeland
DT osa
DT mazi
LB Clark
LB Oshown
LB Marist
CB Scott
CB Carson
S Thomas
S Bell

Boom. Done. The Jones’ get what they want. More money for the yacht.
Why do people always attribute salary cap like its personal money for Jerry?

You do realize he cant just spend less on the team and then take cap space to the fuel depot and fill up the yacht right?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
You don't have to. Just use Coop as your starter and with this team he'll still win 8 to 9 games and probably make the playoffs. There he'll suffer the same fate as QB1 but for us fans it won't make a difference.

But for Jerry it would. He wants to sell Jerseys and fill up seats. So he needs a soap opera team that can win more regular season games than the bare minimum to make the playoffs. He needs to put up a show. The circus has to be in town for 365 days.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Since big and little are too cheap to field a contender, let’s see what the roster would look like if they got rid of every player making any sort of decent money (trade or cut). Not realistic of course but what the hell

QB Rush
RB they are all cheap
TE they are all cheap
LT Guyton
LG Smith
C Cooper
RG Bass
RT Richards

DE Sam
DE Kneeland
DT osa
DT mazi
LB Clark
LB Oshown
LB Marist
CB Scott
CB Carson
S Thomas
S Bell

Hope you like going 3-14.

csirl

Reaction score
Im not sure that the OP intended to start a duscussion on the cap.minimum.

Would be interesting to know what cap space would be available with the OPs roster. OPs roster could be used as the basis for a rebuild using clever drafting over the next couple of years and using freed cap space to bring in free agents.

T-RO

Reaction score
When there was no salary cap Jerry was perhaps the biggest spender in the league. If anyone here thinks he wouldn't spend out his arse for another title...they are mindless of history and all observable facts.

Jerry's ego is tied to the Cowboys...and that's a mighty big ugly ego.

I don't like Jerry anymore than the rest of you, but some of you absolutely go mental and lose all connection to reality in your hatred. Grow up. Think straight.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
We could trade every high priced salary, get more draft picks. Build the team back up with the draft and when it's time for those second contracts for budding stars, trade them away for more draft picks to rebuild the team through the draft again, rinse , repeat. That would be Jerry's dream scenario, keep costs down, but still be able to market and sell that hope that those young players bring. We might get lucky, that "Blind Squirrel" philosophy, do that enough times and get lucky with the right combination of players.

Flamma

Reaction score
Would that lineup meet the league minimum in cap spending? There is a mandatory minimum.
That lineup would be perfectly fine for two reasons. Remember, it's 89% over a 4 year period.

1. I do not believe that the rule is strictly enforced.
2. They can spend 70% of the cap one year, roll over 20% to the following year, as long as they spend it, instant 90% over 2 years.

Flamma

Reaction score
What is the penalty if you don’t hit mandatory minimum. I’m just curious, I’m not endorsing we actually do this.
I don't know if they lose draft picks, but they are actually supposed to go back and pay the players that were on the team the difference.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

QB Rush
RB they are all cheap
TE they are all cheap
LT Guyton
LG Smith
C Cooper
RG Bass
RT Richards

DE Sam
DE Kneeland
DT osa
DT mazi
LB Clark
LB Oshown
LB Marist
CB Scott
CB Carson
S Thomas
S Bell

Why are they cheap, they are against the cap maxed out about every year.
How is that cheap, when they have to work within the cap rules like ALL teams do.

That money saved if they were say $50 million under the cap. Has nothing to do with their personal money or how thy spend it.

Flamma

Reaction score
Why are they cheap, they are against the cap maxed out about every year.
How is that cheap, when they have to work within the cap rules like ALL teams do.

That money saved if they were say $50 million under the cap. Has nothing to do with their personal money or how thy spend it.
You can be a lot cheaper than someone else, and spend the exact same amount of actual dollars. The Cowboys do it every year. Yet still manage to put a good team on the field. It's fascinating.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

QB Rush
RB they are all cheap
TE they are all cheap
LT Guyton
LG Smith
C Cooper
RG Bass
RT Richards

DE Sam
DE Kneeland
DT osa
DT mazi
LB Clark
LB Oshown
LB Marist
CB Scott
CB Carson
S Thomas
S Bell

I would go with hohensee as # 1 qb and he is also cheaper than rush!
everyone on 1 year contracts??

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
That lineup would be perfectly fine for two reasons. Remember, it's 89% over a 4 year period.

1. I do not believe that the rule is strictly enforced.
2. They can spend 70% of the cap one year, roll over 20% to the following year, as long as they spend it, instant 90% over 2 years.
Are you suggesting the NFLPA would not hold a team to rules regarding compensation to be nice? The individual team spend must be 89% of the cap over any running four year period or else. It is strictly enforced.

Flamma

Reaction score
Are you suggesting the NFLPA would not hold a team to rules regarding compensation to be nice? The individual team spend must be 89% of the cap over any running four year period or else. It is strictly enforced.
That's exactly what I am suggesting. I've been in unions for over 35 years, they're not always that bright. The reason I said that was due to the 2016 and 2017 Browns. They went 1-31. They had a ridiculous amount of cap space. Over 100M in one of those years. They had hardly anyone worth paying.

It would be nearly impossible for me to look at those details now. I'd have to be paid. But I find it hard to believe they made up for those 2 years. Keep in mind, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 would have to be 89%. 2015 through 2018 would have to be 89%. Also, 2016 through 2019 would also have to be 89%. I was watching them through this time. They got my attention. I didn't see them do anything big to make up for those 2 lean years. And yes, sometimes unions let things go if there aren't any complaints.

In order to make up for those lean years, the Browns would have to carry over and spend like 50M over the cap. They never did that.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
You do realize the salary cap is a set number? Whatever they don't spend doesn't go to they're bank account. I never got this notion that they are cheap, every team spends majority of the cap, the Joneses just don't know how to, nothing to do with being cheap. Makes you wonder what the hell is it that Will Mclay does, he's a glorified scout. We need a cap guru.