Signed by Cowboys Dunbar re-signs ** One Year $1.75M **

PAINFROMUKRAINE

Reaction score
Where is the rant zone for this guy?

You're just arguing on principle at this point man. Calling Lance Dunbar a "bottom feeder" (more or less guys like Beasley and Hanna, who also have real value to this offense) is just biased and hurts the credibility of your posts. There are plenty of bad contracts to debate on this team, but a $1.7m show-me deal on a RB who can be a weapon isn't a good one to make your stand on. I would bet that Tony is glad to have him back for that cost.

I have no issue with Hanna. Personally, Hanna is an under utilized talent.in this offense. Plus, his blocking is underrated. I just do not like paying a player like Dunbar who has "potential" but has done nothing for 4 years. Furthermore, I am sure that Tony's Collarbone is loving the fact that Dunbar is back possibly blocking for him on a LB blitz.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no issue with Hanna. Personally, Hanna is an under utilized talent.in this offense. Plus, his blocking is underrated. I just do not like paying a player like Dunbar who has "potential" but has done nothing for 4 years. Furthermore, I am sure that Tony's Collarbone is loving the fact that Dunbar is back possibly blocking for him on a LB blitz.

Dunbar's a decent blocker for his size. And Tony's on record saying he likes the matchup of Dunbar on routes in those third down situations as much as he likes the man-on-man matches with some of our other big name players. So, there's that.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dunbar's a decent blocker for his size. And Tony's on record saying he likes the matchup of Dunbar on routes in those third down situations as much as he likes the man-on-man matches with some of our other big name players. So, there's that.

I think it's best to keep guys your QB has chemistry with. He and Street, like with Ogletree, don't seem to ever be on the same page; I think it's time to cut ties with Street. But Romo loved looking Dunbar's way, and I also remember reading an article that talked about how much we tweaked the playbook to work Dunbar into it more. So the QB and OC both view Dunbar as a valuable weapon.

Just a solid signing and I'm glad he's back. Hopefully those legs hold up.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's best to keep guys your QB has chemistry with. He and Street, like with Ogletree, don't seem to ever be on the same page; I think it's time to cut ties with Street. But Romo loved looking Dunbar's way, and I also remember reading an article that talked about how much we tweaked the playbook to work Dunbar into it more. So the QB and OC both view Dunbar as a valuable weapon.

Just a solid signing and I'm glad he's back. Hopefully those legs hold up.

So frustrating that we didn't get to see what it might have looked like last year. Third downs were already tough with most teams need to double Dez and wanting to give help on Beasley underneath. Throw in Dunbar--who absolutely gets single coverage on routes, and a QB who can actually hit him with some regularity, and it's a pretty good combination when the blocking holds up. Somebody in the group of Witten/Williams/Dunbar (often with a LB trying to carry him downfield) is going to be open.

Same thing on 2nd downs, unless they bring in a DB to try to cover the extra receiver. In which case you could run at them with Witten and your OL on the field. It would have been really fun to see it actually in games.

dfense

Reaction score
The problem with your analysis is that this is a player who actually *has* produced when he's gotten reps. His issues have been the injuries, and the playing behind Demarco Murray thing.

This isn't a starting RB you're complaining about. He's a role-playing RB3 who provides a specific type of challenge to defenses because of the ways he can be used. It's completely mystifying to me how any fan of the team could watch him play, see how he's used, and still have a problem with the particular one year deal we just signed him to. Like, brain-dead mystifying to me.

Unfortunately, your argument makes way too much sense. Some people are certain you can find a 1500 yard injury free 240 lb workhorse who's also nibble enough to catch passes out of the backfield and juke LB's out of their shoes and then sign him for a couple bucks.

They WILL draft a guy, probably round 3 or 4, and then be solid at the RB rotation.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I think this is on par with Paying Cole Beasley $3.5M this year. Dumb use of resources for a specialty role player.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Dunbar's base salary is barely above the minimum ($800,000). He got a whopping $100,000 signing bonus. He gets $21,875 for each game he is active. His cap number is less than $1 million. The rest of the money is based on incentives. The only way he gets $1.75 million is if he plays in EVERY game and reaches EVERY incentive in his contract.