Dysfunction defined

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The fact that Jerry's considering hiring Linehan is yet more strong evidence of the dysfunction within the organization. Let's recap:

1. Last year Jerry says Callahan will be calling the plays stripping that responsibility from Garrett and thereby undermining him as a coach.

2. 10 games into the season it's announced that instead of the plays coming from Callahan in the booth to Wilson then to Romo, the calls would go straight to Garrett who if he liked it would pass it on to Romo. If he didn't like it, he could change it. I can imagine Romo's head spinning and explains the play clock running down many times. Strong proof of the disagreement between Garrett and Jones

3. Now, they're considering hiring Linehan to call the plays. So what, 2 OC's? So Linehan and Callahan up in the booth will discuss the play call, pass it to Garrett who passes it to Romo. By this time the clock will be running down by the time Romo gets the play. Linehan, Callahan and Garrett have to take time to consider whatever Jerry's take on the play calls should be made from the last game. Run more, pass more, etc.

Here's a thought Jerry. Worry about butts in the seats and leave the rest to the coaches. Hey, maybe an OC calling the plays and relaying directly to Romo? Wow, what a earth shattering idea! The league must be rolling in the aisles at this latest meddling by Jones.

I couldn't agree more. that's all the more reason Why garrett did a great job this season. not only Jerry wanted some
The fact that Jerry's considering hiring Linehan is yet more strong evidence of the dysfunction within the organization. Let's recap:

1. Last year Jerry says Callahan will be calling the plays stripping that responsibility from Garrett and thereby undermining him as a coach.

2. 10 games into the season it's announced that instead of the plays coming from Callahan in the booth to Wilson then to Romo, the calls would go straight to Garrett who if he liked it would pass it on to Romo. If he didn't like it, he could change it. I can imagine Romo's head spinning and explains the play clock running down many times. Strong proof of the disagreement between Garrett and Jones

3. Now, they're considering hiring Linehan to call the plays. So what, 2 OC's? So Linehan and Callahan up in the booth will discuss the play call, pass it to Garrett who passes it to Romo. By this time the clock will be running down by the time Romo gets the play. Linehan, Callahan and Garrett have to take time to consider whatever Jerry's take on the play calls should be made from the last game. Run more, pass more, etc.

Here's a thought Jerry. Worry about butts in the seats and leave the rest to the coaches. Hey, maybe an OC calling the plays and relaying directly to Romo? Wow, what a earth shattering idea! The league must be rolling in the aisles at this latest meddling by Jones.

I couldn't agree more. that's all the more reason Why Garrett did a great job this season. not only Jerry wanted somebody else to call plays, he decided he wanted new defensive coordinator and new defensive scheme. he decided that ryan's defense was too complex, asked him to simplify it. then fired him because it wasn't effective. then he decided to change schemes. why? a new scheme takes several years to deploy, why do that on a 8-8 team? makes no sense. so Jerry does a lot of short term reactions. misses on the reasons and root causes of issues. makes wrong decisions, and we expect this team to be a superbowl contender?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Listen Amber:

I am a strong believer that you can win NFL games buy outnumbering the number of coaches the opposing team has.

The more play-callers the better --- I think there should be a distinctive offensive playcaller for every down/distance/2-minute/OT scenario.

Obviously I am not alone is this philosophy of winning NFL games through sheer quantity of positional coaches.
If that works we should expand the concept to players.
Imagine, 150 players on the Cowboys sidelines. Imagine the jersey merchandising possibilities . . . I can see it now . . . https://encrypted-tbn1.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE4BY7pJtBekqNB3ZJ9xp5w5Wa0ff938JhrLgUohj1RsPkA6qt

links18

Reaction score
Dysfunctional?

You mean like drafting a down the field tight end in the SECOND round and never using him, especially in the slot creating match up problems?

You mean like drafting and trading for man to man corners then playing zones?

You mean like ditching a traditional fullback roll, only to revive it the last fourth of the season to see our running game dramatically improve?

You mean like stripping the head coach of play calling and giving it to the offensive coordinator only to see a suspicious "tweak" in the communication to the QB the last half of the season?

You mean when the second man in charge of a billion dollar organization and world wide-brand reinvigorates the fan base with the strategy of a "secret sauce?"

You mean like after a crushing defeat our number one man in charge soothes us with the fact it was a "great show?"

You mean like when season ticket holders get playoff tickets in the mail when we not only didn't make the playoffs but if we would've they would have received them after the game date?

Or just maybe you mean that our number one man in charge told us in no uncertain terms that we shouldn't be embarrassed by twenty years of futility because we have a nice stadium, never mind that is half full of opposing fans each week.

...I think you're being a bit harsh.

Can we make this post a sticky?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Where do you get your by-lines..?

ESPN?

Really.

I can get this straight from those guys.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ROFL, only on this forum is a rumor a sign of dysfunction.

The Ravens are ACTUALLY replacing the offensive coordinator and perhaps more off a SB team 12 months ago without involving the Head Coach.

The Callahan rumor said he'd go to Cleveland than oops nope he'd rather stay under a demotion in Dallas than head to Cleveland where they got turned down by every Head Coach candidate in the league....
Miami just interviewed every GM except Jerry Jones for it's vacancy and seemingly couldn't find a taker anywhere.

But here a possible veteran OC that mentored Garrett and worked for Nick Saban POSSIBLY being brought in is a case of dysfunction.

Gonna be a reallllly long off-season with all these tears over rumor and innuendo.

Not only is a rumor, but it's a rumor stated as a fact. And then there's the actual fact that it's only a rumor about adding an experienced coach to the roster at a level below the traditional coordinator level. Only on CZ is right.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Listen Amber:

I am a strong believer that you can win NFL games buy outnumbering the number of coaches the opposing team has.

The more play-callers the better --- I think there should be a distinctive offensive playcaller for every down/distance/2-minute/OT scenario.

Obviously I am not alone is this philosophy of winning NFL games through sheer quantity of positional coaches.

;)

Freaking brilliant.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Liking the original post doesn't seem like enough of a statement. I want that post to be my Valentine this year.

Or, ya know, whatever.

Hug hug, kiss kiss, hug hug, big kiss, little hug, kiss kiss, little kiss.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Ryan, Kiffin, Callahan, Linehan

Has any HC ever had 4 different coordinators in 4 years as being a HC without a single one of those coordinators getting tabbed to be a HC elsewhere?

Ashwynn

Reaction score

Maybe a GM to actually run the front office side of the off the field crap away from the coaches. This team is really floundering at the moment. Hurts to say, but we are not any where near good from top to bottom. And what I hate the most about this is the future HOFers (Ware, Witten maybe Dez in time) and the other Cowboy greats we are wasting - That sucks for them. And for us fans.

rpntex

Reaction score
You have any data on that? Because I remember the opposite -- we did much better at not letting the playclock wind down most of the year. It was only late in the year when Garrett got more involved again that it became a problem.

No data. I just remember people whining and moaning about the play clock all year, and not just after the change. We were snapping the ball with less than 5 seconds remaining all season.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Jerry calls the plays, Romo executes it, and when it fails Jerry tells Garrett to tell the media that Romo changed the play.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Dysfunctional?

You mean like drafting a down the field tight end in the SECOND round and never using him, especially in the slot creating match up problems?

You mean like ditching a traditional fullback roll, only to revive it the last fourth of the season to see our running game dramatically improve?

You mean like stripping the head coach of play calling and giving it to the offensive coordinator only to see a suspicious "tweak" in the communication to the QB the last half of the season?

You mean when the second man in charge of a billion dollar organization and world wide-brand reinvigorates the fan base with the strategy of a "secret sauce?"

You mean like after a crushing defeat our number one man in charge soothes us with the fact it was a "great show?"

You mean like when season ticket holders get playoff tickets in the mail when we not only didn't make the playoffs but if we would've they would have received them after the game date?

Or just maybe you mean that our number one man in charge told us in no uncertain terms that we shouldn't be embarrassed by twenty years of futility because we have a nice stadium, never mind that is half full of opposing fans each week.

What about this gem, from my signature:

We’ve put a lot of effort in training as a franchise into Jason Garrett, and I want to take advantage of that,” Jones said. “If we don’t have him, we don’t get payback for all the miscues and losses and criticism of sideline management.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Folks, get used to this. They're going to rotate in a new offensive coordinator every year until they find a guy who can successfully call plays with Garrett's playbook. This could take 10-15 years, so I'd grab a drink and get comfortable.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Seriously dude, can you reach out for more attention?

It's beyond pathetic at this point.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Dysfunctional?

ungrateful fans! You're supposed believe and put up with everything, because thats what real fans do!
how dare you question any of managements moves, No matter how stupid they may appear! …. you're stupider!!!!

signed, sarcasm…..

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If this is Jerry's hire then shame on him. If it's Garrett's call then shame on some of you. You guys make a lot of assumptions which are often wrong then happily trot out your bashing hammers.

Callahan is under contract and can't go anywhere without the GM agreeing.

Parcells brought guys in to be running game coordinator and passing game coordinator. But if Garrett brings in coaches to help coordinate the offense then he's nuts. Sometimes this is a tough job. I'm chewing on my pipe right now.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
If this is Jerry's hire then shame on him. If it's Garrett's call then shame on some of you. You guys make a lot of assumptions which are often wrong then happily trot out your bashing hammers.

Callahan is under contract and can't go anywhere without the GM agreeing.

Parcells brought guys in to be running game coordinator and passing game coordinator. But if Garrett brings in coaches to help coordinate the offense then he's nuts. Sometimes this is a tough job. I'm chewing on my pipe right now.

Yes, but there was never any question of who called the shots, as far as coaching staff goes, when Parcells was here. It is hard to believe that there is one single voice in the room when coordinators are being shuffled out over and over.