Eagles did not score one offense TD

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Eagles ran two plays in the red zone, I believe. The first was a pass to Goedert that lost a yard. The second was the Parsons sack.
I know the man played through the flu, but that was a big-time play by a big-time player when we needed it. We had several in this game, but considering how he was feeling, he just had to will himself to make a play.

Flamma

Reaction score
turnover or bust -- that's the thing that worries me because you can't count on those. Notice that in the 3 games we lost we didn't get a turnover.
That's what worried me about playing better teams. We didn't get turnovers. Despite what people think, this game would have been closer had they not fumbled all night. But at the same time, we gave them 7 too. I still think we would have won, but a much closer game. I still don't have confidence we'll beat the top teams in the NFC on the road. We might be able to pull out one win, but two? I'm not confident.

ghst187

Reaction score
You can thank the D for jarring the ball loose. That's what kept them out of the endzone.
Yeah, pretty sure the game would’ve been pretty close if not a nail-biter without the fumbles. But also not like they were offensive foibles they were the result of a defensive player ripping it out.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah, pretty sure the game would’ve been pretty close if not a nail-biter without the fumbles. But also not like they were offensive foibles they were the result of a defensive player ripping it out.
Good point. They weren't random fumbles, they were jarred loose or ripped out. Except for the final fumble where Smith was just popped. But the game was all but over at that point.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Look I really like our defense and I'm not trying to be negative here but they're opportunistic whenever they can recover fumbles and get interceptions which I know are part of the game but they're not expected and can't be counted on, they gave up far too many long drives all those turnovers were forced in the plus zone meaning they were already in field goal range they were moving the ball quite easily and it still makes me nervous that this defense is not a lockdown defense they are not a stingy defense that can stop anyone at anytime they gave up so many long time consuming drives that typically end in points and yes they forced those fumbles which was great but we lost the first Eagles games because they didn't recover any of those fumbles they didn't do anything in an opportunistic way to win that game they gave up 28 points in that game same way in Arizona loss and against the 49ers this defense is still shaky in my opinion

they have not earned a championship pedigree no name no moniker they literally are boom or bust we call it opportunistic they have made some plays when it was necessary but so far they don't do this in the playoffs imagine if Trayvon diggs would have picked that ball off or broke up that play against kittles that's what makes a championship team is when you do it in those moments but yes it's impressive they did what they had to do to stop those drives but I'm still concerned about the long drives they did it even against bad teams Washington Carolina even at times against Danny Dimes in the first game of the season they just let themselves be walked down pretty easily in the plus territory..

So when they're not forcing turnovers or getting the big sack they're giving up some yardage and a lot of times they're giving up some points too this is scary to me I still don't trust this defense as much as some people might...
All those fumbles was forced, that's not opportunistic. It's drilled into the defense

aikemirv

Reaction score
By the way, getting burnt on the fake punt is inexcusable - That was teh first thing that went through my head when they lined up to punt on 4th and 2

Fassell should have had them ready for that!!

blueblood70

Reaction score
All those fumbles was forced, that's not opportunistic. It's drilled into the defense
so when it doesn't happen which is in some of the bigger games against San Francisco and Arizona and that lost in the first Philly game they didn't get those fumbles it's opportunistic to collect them up you know recover them you gotta get them on this defense or they are not good do not argue with me you have your opinion this defense has been in our Achilles heel for all three losses they look bad against the Seattle Seahawks they have not looked good for stretches even before the damn fumbles were recovered against those Eagles were driving down the field with ease these were all in the Green Zone.....

it is opportunistic it is boom or bust when they are not collecting these turnovers and sacks they are getting boat raced down the field you're trying to tell me what my eyes see are wrong I mean are you telling me that they weren't the biggest reason we lost to Arizona Eagles game one and the San Francisco the defense did nothing in those games..,. And I've seen little pieces of this even in the big blowouts where they allowed Carolina to have like an 18 play drive they love the giants in Washington to have some long drives they're giving up points usually in the first drive of the game and sometimes coming out in the first drive of the second-half teams are adjusting I'm telling you without those turnovers this defense is not that good..

In my opinion they are still part of our game and our team that I do not trust in the biggest games because if they don't get those turnovers they are pretty easy to drive the field on by the better teams..

You better hope Buffalo Miami in Detroit give up the ball because if they don't they will drive down the field on every drive just like we do they are an offense just like ours they can get up the field and score almost on every drive unless they make a mistake... These are some of the highest scoring teams in the league so yes we are opportunistic but when they don't happen we are not the type of shutdown defense that championships are made of...

Look I'm not saying our defense sucks but in my opinion they're still the group I don't trust the one consistent thing that we've had most of the last six to eight games is the fact the offense can move the ball almost at will but the defense they just are not stopping people unless they get the turnover and I realize it's part of our identity but when it doesn't happen they're easily move the ball on...

I like our team but right now this is a bend don't break rod Marinelli type defense and I know you're not going to like it but that's what I'm telling you my opinion is when I see this, I do not trust this defense when they're not getting a turnover or getting to the QB.....

Geno showed a great example of that... Look man we see examples of this in every game and I just want to tell you if you're comfortable with it fine I'm not I'm telling you our defense is not ready for the big time no name no doomsday 3 this defense is not that defense the top defense is to ever play in the NFL gave up under 13 a game but they didn't look like this in the middle of it you couldn't just drive the field whenever you wanted to...

Gambit

Reaction score
but they're opportunistic whenever they can recover fumbles and get interceptions
You say this like it's a bad thing. Those fumbles were created by the direct actions of Defensive players, not just dropped.

The point is, it is a huge part of the defense holding them out of the end zone.

Gambit

Reaction score
So, why didn't the 49ers fumble? That's the problem with relying on turnovers.
When your defense leads the league 3 years a row in take aways, I think one can be afforded a reasonable expectation they will continue to find ways to get them.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You say this like it's a bad thing. Those fumbles were created by the direct actions of Defensive players, not just dropped.

The point is, it is a huge part of the defense holding them out of the end zone.
It's not a bad thing can you get the point catch up you can't always count on those it might be nice to get a defense that can actually stop somebody without the turnovers because without those turnovers they are literally getting boat raced down the field and many many games this year many many snaps many many series do I have to say it this is the weakest group on our team as far as can you trust them because if they don't get the turnover or the sack and have to actually play the entire play they are beating getting beat on a lot of the play calls guys are open guys are catching the ball players are running through big holes I mean do you not see it I saw it all night last night no it's great it's really awesome whenever they get the turnovers but we saw games when they don't get the turnovers

we lose!!! I'm just making sure you understand that this defense does not look like a shutdown defense it doesn't look like a defense that can literally get off the field without the turnovers or a missed field goal you know a mistake by the other team I'm hoping they can get that fixed but all I've seen all year is a underachieving overrated defense that has to have the turnovers in order to stop teams from scoring...

blueblood70

Reaction score
When your defense leads the league 3 years a row in take aways, I think one can be afforded a reasonable expectation they will continue to find ways to get them.
Yeah you expect it but what happens in a one and done playoff scenario what you don't get the turnover it can happen this is a 17 game season yeah they're gonna lead the league in turnovers because they are opportunistic they are trying to create turnovers but sometimes when you only have one game and in that game you don't get the turnover or the big sack and you literally need to play straight up defense they are not stopping people on a regular basis they are being walked down the field too easily... Hey case in point why didn't Trayvon diggs pick that ball off against San Francisco why didn't Trayvon diggs break up that play with kittle the defense played well but they didn't take every opportunity in that game and we lost by one score

yes the offense wasn't very good either but this is my point they cannot stop many drives without the aid of the turnover so if they don't get the turnover one can assume and expect the loss... I mean we could play the other side of the coin yes we're gonna win a lot of games if they get two or three turnovers in a game we're also gonna lose games if they're counting on turnovers to be part of that game....

Gambit

Reaction score
they are opportunistic they are trying to create turnovers
Maybe semantics but I see this as 2 separate things. Creating a turnover is not the same as an offensive error leading to one, if that makes sense.

Hey case in point why didn't Trayvon diggs pick that ball off against San Francisco why didn't Trayvon diggs break up that play with kittle the defense
I don't know, possibly best to ask Diggs this question.

Using your logic, if a teams direct defensive actions lead to the offense only getting 1 yard the entire game, well they didn't really do that they were just being opportunistic in getting those stops.

You can't divorce created turnovers from how the defense as a whole plays a game.

That'd be like saying well Dak's TDs are just opportunitistic, had the Defense stopped them, the O would have failed.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Maybe semantics but I see this as 2 separate things. Creating a turnover is not the same as an offensive error leading to one, if that makes sense.

I don't know, possibly best to ask Diggs this question.

Using your logic, if a teams direct defensive actions lead to the offense only getting 1 yard the entire game, well they didn't really do that they were just being opportunistic in getting those stops.

You can't divorce created turnovers from how the defense as a whole plays a game.

That'd be like saying well Dak's TDs are just opportunitistic, had the Defense stopped them, the O would have failed.
Absolutely backwards from what I'm talking about if you don't get it I hate to break it to you if you can't get to the quarterback and get a sack and your guys can't stop somebody from making a catch or from a big hole and can't stop the run if the turnover doesn't happen they literally are not doing the other parts of their job...

They are not covering as well hey you want a good example when Deron bland just got beat up bye DK Metcalf he was not doing his job he was not getting any turnovers he was getting his lunch 8 on every play that's bad defense this is also last night the guys were allowing those catches they were allowing those big runs by jalen hurts and a few others I know at the end it didn't matter but in the middle of the games when the game was still on the line they are not stopping people the traditional way they are not covering as well they are not stopping the run as well great defenses do those things well where you just can't get a catch where you can't get a big run that is what those championship defense like doomsday defense and the Ravens and the bears they only gave up thirteen points a game but those dudes were so stingy you punted 14 * a game in a lot of games yes they got turnovers as well but that's not what we're talking about we're talking about playing defense you know not allowing that pass to be cut or those runs to be made you're getting those turnovers after the fact you're still giving those plays up...

I'm telling you when we don't get the turnover we are not playing good defense we have not for a long time been shutting teams down literally stopping drives and forcing punts it takes the actual turnovers in order for us to actually get the ball back instead of punts you not understand where I'm coming from I'm sorry I can't draw you a picture I'm telling you they are opportunistic right now they're not playing solid defense Cortana base defense not what happens after they allow the catch or the big run we're talking about before that when they're supposed to be covering blocking and tackling some of those were being gashed those were big catches and then the yes they pulled the ball out but they didn't stop it from happening!!!@!@

DandyDon52

Reaction score
... If someone told me that before the game started, I would think they were crazy.
Eagles score TDs, but not tonight.

The defense out played itself.
yes true, but the DC & OC PHIL let get away in off season is what killed the eagles. They are not the same team without them.
Also both those guys made a bad choice to leave, they make more money now, but one is a hc for irsay lol, and the other guy is in arizona , and both
have to do a total rebuild.

Better to wait for a team that isnt so barren, already has some key pieces.
The eagles HC isnt that good, he came into a good team and looked better than he is because of the 2 guys that have now left.
What we are seeing now is the new eagles and they cant compete at that level now due to inferior coaches.

NFC is between Dallas and SF now.

Gambit

Reaction score
I'm telling you when we don't get the turnover we are not playing good defense
You just told me even when we get them they are not playing good defense.

Yet we are giving up only like 17points per game.

Seems like leading league in TOs and being 4th in league in points per game is pretty darn good.

But worry on, I shant stop you.