Eagles Don't Win Games. They Survive Games

_sturt_

Reaction score
All due respect, they are irrefutably one of the NFL's best teams. They almost never win a game impressively, and the one game they lost was to, of all teams, the Jets. But they win. And that's what counts in the standings.

But what their failure to win impressively affirms is that this is a team that performs with an exceptionally high floor level, and yet, also performs with an exceptionally low ceiling. And, too, what their failure to win impressively suggests... suggests (none of this abides by laws of physics)... is a team that has been so smiled upon by lady luck that a regression to the mean is very likely before this season concludes.

And if that happens... for how long will that trend reversal continue.

Relative to our Cowboys, I believe the evidence supports the conclusion that our team is more capable of playing at a high level than PHI... but their team is more capable of avoiding significant let-downs.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Jalen Hurts reacting to the “gauntlet” of brutal schedule Philly has to get through:

aoG03rJ.gif

Aven8

Reaction score
As I said last week. Philly doesn’t make mistakes. The same crucial ones we made at the end when we played them, they avoid. They can be beat, but it will take the others team best game. They just plod along and avoid making mistakes and eventually come back.

_sturt_

Reaction score
As I said last week. Philly doesn’t make mistakes. The same crucial ones we made at the end when we played them, they avoid.
I see it a little differently. Philly makes mistakes. But fortunately for them, the opponents have routinely had unforced errors that kept PHI from paying the ultimate price for their mistakes.

And. I should add.

When you're barely defeating opponents, by definition, that means the tipping point plays for wins and losses are all the more significant to the outcome... and for PHI, the fact that the opponent never matches their same capacity for converting short yardage downs is the most obvious factor.

Not to derail the thread into that subtopic, but I've stopped arguing that we need to find a way to defend that play... clearly and obviously, the best DCs and the best defenses have yet to figure that out in any consistent way... and started arguing that we need to take seriously on the offensive side of the ball the capacity to neutralize the advantage by developing an equally-imposing ability to run the same play with equal or nearly-equal results. I cannot be persuaded that there is any special talent held by PHI O-linemen that they uniquely hold that no one else can possibly replicate or exceed. It's so much more about technique, and you can learn technique.

phildadon86

Reaction score
As I said last week. Philly doesn’t make mistakes. The same crucial ones we made at the end when we played them, they avoid. They can be beat, but it will take the others team best game. They just plod along and avoid making mistakes and eventually come back.
They make mistakes. They are just never called lol. Kinda easy to play mistake free football when you dont have to worry about pesky things like holding, pass interference, or personal fouls.

Biag

Reaction score
They always manage to do just enough. This is starting to feel too much like 17 where everything breaks their way.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
All due respect, they are irrefutably one of the NFL's best teams. They almost never win a game impressively, and the one game they lost was to, of all teams, the Jets. But they win. And that's what counts in the standings.

But what their failure to win impressively affirms is that this is a team that performs with an exceptionally high floor level, and yet, also performs with an exceptionally low ceiling. And, too, what their failure to win impressively suggests... suggests (none of this abides by laws of physics)... is a team that has been so smiled upon by lady luck that a regression to the mean is very likely before this season concludes.

Relative to our Cowboys, I believe the evidence supports the conclusion that our team is more capable of playing at a high level than PHI... but their team is more capable of avoiding significant let-downs.
They do it the best, you have to respect it

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score

Hmmmm.... interesting take

btcutter

Reaction score

Good teams find a way to win. So far that's why Eagles have done. They have been clutch when needed. This is a battle tested team. They don't get rattled when they are down.
Any given Sunday. But they got my respect.

blueblood70

Reaction score
As much as I agree with most of your statements you forgot one thing they are making mistakes fumbles interceptions I mean they do make mistakes for some reason they don't get called out on it they're the least penalized team in the league and why is up for debate I don't wanna claim conspiracy theories but they're not getting called for some obvious things and I would just call that a lot of luck you're saying they don't make mistakes oh somehow they do because they're down at a lot of these games they're making fourth quarter comebacks and overtime stuff that's aided by some non calls or some calls or a lucky bounce or two

but as much as I hate the Eagles they are who they are they're ten and one they're best team in the league until their record says otherwise and now after that last two games where they just had every bounce go their way hell all the way back to our game they're in the driver seat we're not catching them in the division hell we could probably win out and still not catch them they're not losing 3 games this year not on purpose they may throw away the last game or two to get ready for the playoffs but it's over for us it is what it is but you're saying they don't make critical mistakes they throw interceptions or even fumble hell they didn't call that catch a fumble like they called it incomplete I don't know in our game that's probably a fumble because that's just the way the refs see us

rant over lol!!!

Aven8

Reaction score
As much as I agree with most of your statements you forgot one thing they are making mistakes fumbles interceptions I mean they do make mistakes for some reason they don't get called out on it they're the least penalized team in the league and why is up for debate I don't wanna claim conspiracy theories but they're not getting called for some obvious things and I would just call that a lot of luck you're saying they don't make mistakes oh somehow they do because they're down at a lot of these games they're making fourth quarter comebacks and overtime stuff that's aided by some non calls or some calls or a lucky bounce or two

but as much as I hate the Eagles they are who they are they're ten and one they're best team in the league until their record says otherwise and now after that last two games where they just had every bounce go their way hell all the way back to our game they're in the driver seat we're not catching them in the division hell we could probably win out and still not catch them they're not losing 3 games this year not on purpose they may throw away the last game or two to get ready for the playoffs but it's over for us it is what it is but you're saying they don't make critical mistakes they throw interceptions or even fumble hell they didn't call that catch a fumble like they called it incomplete I don't know in our game that's probably a fumble because that's just the way the refs see us

rant over lol!!!
They actually had a fumble late that helped Buffalo that I thought, boy we could have used that play when we played them. Unfortunately for Buffalo their defense decided to stop playing in the 4th quarter….

32BellyOption

Reaction score
They make mistakes. They are just never called lol. Kinda easy to play mistake free football when you dont have to worry about pesky things like holding, pass interference, or personal fouls.
Lol! I was going to reply with the same. Those penalties that aren’t being called are often drive killers. Easier to sustain drives when you’re allowed to hold too.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Not sure what you saw, but the last two weeks the Eagles trailed going into the half and won the game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They actually had a fumble late that helped Buffalo that I thought, boy we could have used that play when we played them. Unfortunately for Buffalo their defense decided to stop playing in the 4th quarter….
That's what we're talking about I think A.J. Brown or whoever it was that caught that ball took a step had it stripped they called it incomplete pass instead of a fumble but yet most people still think it's a fumble I'm saying that's luck that's just having one set of referee seed in a different way... Have I believe that that was us they would have called that a fumble on us and gave that ball to Philly if it was in the opposite circumstance.. This is why people like me think they're the luckiest team on the planet literally almost every bounce almost every late game or overtime situation goes in their favor sure some of their luck may be created because of the way they play but don't tell me they don't make mistakes they have far more turnovers on offense and we do it's not even close plus on defense I don't know that they're getting as many turnovers as our defense our net point differentials ridiculous but in these tighter games they seem to have everything go their way I don't think that's coaching or the way they're playing we just call that dumb luck..

And yes they deserve the 10 in one record they are who they are they're the best team in the league right now they beat the chiefs they beat us they beat the bills I mean how much more do you need evidence but I think some of it is luck in close games and that could run out on you.... Hopefully it runs out on them in the playoffs when we meet them lol​
I mean recent history look at Matthew Stafford had 20 interceptions I don't know how many fumbles and they win a Super Bowl where he makes mistakes two interceptions in the Super bowl and they win nobody's talking about it this is just like the Eagles they turn it over they do make mistakes but somehow in the end they have everything work out for them...​
Sometimes your team is just so good that it can overcome those mistakes and they need a little help and that's why we call that luck and I'm gonna keep calling it dumb luck and I want it to run out and hopefully it runs out I mean look at them not have to face Brock Purdy the rest of that 49er game where we lose Tony Pollard and have to play a healthy 40 niner team they get to play the giants and a rudderless 49er team to make it to a Super Bowl, I call that luck...​
We are snake bitten while they have all the great luck.... I hope our fortunes get reversed in the playoffs and it could happen right now they own the division that's not happening so right now we got to hope for a really good playoff seeding...​

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mods should create an iggles forum somewhere else
most of the time I'd be on your side but the fact is we see them again soon and it's worth talking about because they literally have so much luck things keep bouncing their way and now the division is pretty much theirs we could literally win out and still lose the division... So I don't like talking about the Eagles or anybody else besides the Cowboys in here but in this case it's hard not to talk about right now I've never seen a team of destiny get so much luck in every bounce in the lack of bad calls by the refs etc

so again, I agree I I hate to talk about the Eagles but in this case it's almost inevitable that we need to talk about it.. These last two games for them with the luck and the last second wins it put it pretty much put us out of the division race, so yeah we're talking about us via the Eagles.

TheCritic

Reaction score
What you are overlooking is how the Eagles have turned "coming from behind" on its head. You have to play them full throttle for 60+ minutes, which brings its own set of challenges. The way the Eagles never panic and find a way to win is equally as impressive as blowing out bad teams IMO.