Eagles Don't Win Games. They Survive Games

Creeper

Reaction score
Maybe the Eagles are just bored. They know they are better than any other team in the league and only turn it on when they have to. Is it coincidence that they need a score and they march down the field and get it? To beat the Eagles a team needs to stop that offense when they Eagles need a score to tie or win or score on them with no time remaining for them to make a comeback. So far only the Jets have been able to manage that. Dallas could have done it but when they got close the fell apart.

When they get going, no one seems to be able to stop them. The Tush Push play is like a symbol of who they are. When they get it in gear they can shove anyone else out of the way with ease.

This could be their year to win it all.

Creeper

Reaction score
Winning football lmao

This was a big mistake by the Bills, but I don't think it mattered. Later in the game the Bills missed 2 FGs which I think were bigger. The Eagles needed a 59 yard FG to tie the game and in the wind and rain they make it. The Bills missed a couple of chip shots.

And this is why the missed horse collar tackle was so big. Instead of getting the ball at the 1 1/2 yard line with a 1st down, the Bills wound up with a 3rd and 16 from the 16. They didn't get it, and then missed the short FG. Huge play in the game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
All due respect, they are irrefutably one of the NFL's best teams. They almost never win a game impressively, and the one game they lost was to, of all teams, the Jets. But they win. And that's what counts in the standings.

But what their failure to win impressively affirms is that this is a team that performs with an exceptionally high floor level, and yet, also performs with an exceptionally low ceiling. And, too, what their failure to win impressively suggests... suggests (none of this abides by laws of physics)... is a team that has been so smiled upon by lady luck that a regression to the mean is very likely before this season concludes.

And if that happens... for how long will that trend reversal continue.

Relative to our Cowboys, I believe the evidence supports the conclusion that our team is more capable of playing at a high level than PHI... but their team is more capable of avoiding significant let-downs.
A good way to put it. They may survive all the way to the SB sadly.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Maybe the Eagles are just bored. They know they are better than any other team in the league and only turn it on when they have to. Is it coincidence that they need a score and they march down the field and get it? To beat the Eagles a team needs to stop that offense when they Eagles need a score to tie or win or score on them with no time remaining for them to make a comeback. So far only the Jets have been able to manage that. Dallas could have done it but when they got close the fell apart.

When they get going, no one seems to be able to stop them. The Tush Push play is like a symbol of who they are. When they get it in gear they can shove anyone else out of the way with ease.

This could be their year to win it all.
They aren’t bored. This is them. This is their game plan. They win because of the trenches. It’s not pretty but it’s effective due to their personnel.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
This was a big mistake by the Bills, but I don't think it mattered. Later in the game the Bills missed 2 FGs which I think were bigger. The Eagles needed a 59 yard FG to tie the game and in the wind and rain they make it. The Bills missed a couple of chip shots.

And this is why the missed horse collar tackle was so big. Instead of getting the ball at the 1 1/2 yard line with a 1st down, the Bills wound up with a 3rd and 16 from the 16. They didn't get it, and then missed the short FG. Huge play in the game.
Don't think it mattered? It was a dropped TD in a game that went to OT.

The missed calls mattered more, but the point is that this is nothing the Eagles did well. For two weeks in a row, in close games, their opponent beat themselves.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
At this point the Eagles, at least in the NFC and probably the entire league, are one of the teams everybody wants to beat. They other teams play harder agasinst the Eagles than they against the Giants, etc. So the Eagles will have close games. Doesn't mean they're not very good..

And by trying too hard teams make mistakes agasint the Eagles, the false starts, offsides and other penaties, the fights and so forth.

Doesn't matter in the end, a win by one point by a last second field goal/td is just as much a win as by 40 pts.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Like Dallas' false start against the Eagles, just that Dallas' problem was self-inflicted....

Kingofholland

Reaction score
All due respect, they are irrefutably one of the NFL's best teams. They almost never win a game impressively, and the one game they lost was to, of all teams, the Jets. But they win. And that's what counts in the standings.

But what their failure to win impressively affirms is that this is a team that performs with an exceptionally high floor level, and yet, also performs with an exceptionally low ceiling. And, too, what their failure to win impressively suggests... suggests (none of this abides by laws of physics)... is a team that has been so smiled upon by lady luck that a regression to the mean is very likely before this season concludes.

Relative to our Cowboys, I believe the evidence supports the conclusion that our team is more capable of playing at a high level than PHI... but their team is more capable of avoiding significant let-downs.
Sounds like the Vikings last year

ESisback

Reaction score
Jalen Hurts reacting to the “gauntlet” of brutal schedule Philly has to get through:

aoG03rJ.gif
A good punch in the chops will dampen that delusional bravado.

ESisback

Reaction score
most of the time I'd be on your side but the fact is we see them again soon and it's worth talking about because they literally have so much luck things keep bouncing their way and now the division is pretty much theirs we could literally win out and still lose the division... So I don't like talking about the Eagles or anybody else besides the Cowboys in here but in this case it's hard not to talk about right now I've never seen a team of destiny get so much luck in every bounce in the lack of bad calls by the refs etc

so again, I agree I I hate to talk about the Eagles but in this case it's almost inevitable that we need to talk about it.. These last two games for them with the luck and the last second wins it put it pretty much put us out of the division race, so yeah we're talking about us via the Eagles.
If Dallas ends up a 14-3 Wild Card, and New Orleans or Atlanta a Division Winner at 9-8 or even 8-9, think the league would make changes? Or would it take some other team in the 14-3 role?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Screw the Eagles...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Philly has learned how to survive games. we need to do the same. both AZ and Philly games were games we could have and should have survived. we couldn't minimize mistakes in the 4th quarter where Philly tends to tighten up their plays. we tend to shoot ourselves in the foot (mistakes, brain farts, penalties)

Bigdog

Reaction score
I thought about this. The Eagles have been lucky the last 2 games and sooner or later their luck will luck out. As one of my coaches use to tell us, I would rather be lucky in the playoffs than to have a luck run out in it.

Gambit

Reaction score
As I said last week. Philly doesn’t make mistakes. The same crucial ones we made at the end when we played them, they avoid. They can be beat, but it will take the others team best game. They just plod along and avoid making mistakes and eventually come back.
Are interceptions mistakes?

Disclaimer:
This post is an actual question heavily laced with a sardonic flavoring.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If Dallas ends up a 14-3 Wild Card, and New Orleans or Atlanta a Division Winner at 9-8 or even 8-9, think the league would make changes? Or would it take some other team in the 14-3 role?
No they have not up to this point and I don't think they will cause eventually it will flip and it will work itself out... The league built in parity sometimes you have a strong Division I mean it's happened with the NFC West right I mean with three teams at some points that have been double digits or close to it... This has happened more than once and it will happen quite often we've even seen New England when they had Matt castle at 11 wins missed the playoffs I mean that's just bad luck... But again it's happened before the Cowboys and it's going to happen after so I don't think the league is going to make any changes...

By the way it'll be even worse if that nine and eight or eight and nine team steps up and beats a Dallas Cowboys team it's very possible we're bad on the road we're bad outdoors at times not always but we could lose those games that is why you get home field and winning your division regardless of your record you have a chance to beat the dude in the in the wild card game... That New Orleans is indoors so I probably prefer to take them gives us a better chance but either way the parity it was built in this is what the league wants this is what the league got...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Are interceptions mistakes?

Disclaimer:
This post is an actual question heavily laced with a sardonic flavoring.
That's what I said way earlier in this conversation that those interceptions and fumbles those counties mistakes they just have all the luck in order to counter all those mistakes I mean how could you see a 59 yard field goal in the rain outdoors on slippery terrain bounce off the crossbar or whatever and bounce in should have never been that close but it happens for the Eagles they have luck on their side right now but hopefully that will and in the playoffs for once if they use up all that luck credit in the regular season maybe it runs out..

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Slow and steady wins the race.
They are the turtle.
We are the hare.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Philly does what championship teams do they find ways to win in crunch time. They don’t wilt after being punched in the mouth, they punch back. They were down by two scores the last two weeks and came back and won against two of the best QBs in the league. In the games the Cowboys have gotten down by two scores this season they got pounded in one of those losses was by a bad AZ team. Philly is going to win the Super Bowl this year.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Philly does what championship teams do they find ways to win. They don’t wilt after being punched in the mouth, they punch back. They’re going to win the Super Bowl this year.
They're not finding ways to win. They're getting lucky - that's the whole point.