Eagles give Mailata 3-yr, $66 million extension; What are we doing?

Flamma

Reaction score
You can't throw away a season to make a point on one players contract.
I agree completely with the rest of your post. I chose this section because the front office has already done that.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
I don't believe Mailata will play up to that contract. The Eagles overpaid for his services which brings us to what the Cowboys are doing. They are not overpaying to keep certain guys, especially on the O-line. LT Tyron Smith is gone and younger talent like Chuma Edoga has been re-signed at a comparative discount. This will allow Tyler Smith to slide over to Left Tackle and Chuma to be our new starting Left Guard.
Clueless. He’s getting 4th in the league money and other guys are coming due that will push his AAV way down. Guy is 27, he’s improved every year and he grades out as well pass blocking as well as run blocking. He’s definitely not overpaid.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
I don't believe Mailata will play up to that contract. The Eagles overpaid for his services which brings us to what the Cowboys are doing. They are not overpaying to keep certain guys, especially on the O-line. LT Tyron Smith is gone and younger talent like Chuma Edoga has been re-signed at a comparative discount. This will allow Tyler Smith to slide over to Left Tackle and Chuma to be our new starting Left Guard.
He has all ready played up to that level. He's a top 5 tackle in the entire NFL.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Clueless. He’s getting 4th in the league money and other guys are coming due that will push his AAV way down. Guy is 27, he’s improved every year and he grades out as well pass blocking as well as run blocking. He’s definitely not overpaid.
I'm making a note of this to rub it in your face when Mailata doesn't pan out.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
You realize this guy isn’t a rookie, right? He’s a veteran player that has already distinguished himself. The contract he just agreed to is fairly gracious. His agent should be investigated. How Philly gets away with this **** should be investigated.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What an excellent find by the Eagles.........but every team probably have a couple of starters like this.

Philadelphia Eagles[edit]​

Mailata was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles with the 233rd overall pick in the seventh round of the 2018 NFL draft.[13] He became the second player to be selected with no American high school or college experience (the first being German Moritz Böhringer), following the path of fellow rugby league convert Jarryd Hayne. Mailata signed a four-year deal worth $2.5 million with a signing bonus of $89,392.[14]

Mailata said that the biggest mental hurdle when transitioning from the rugby league to the NFL was the extensive playbook. He stated that when he first started training camp with the Eagles, he was handed a playbook and that it felt like "a different language."[15] On 1 September 2018, Mailata made the initial 53-man roster for the Eagles.[16] On 14 December, Mailata was placed on injured reserve after sustaining a back injury categorised as a stress fracture, which ended his rookie season before appearing in any games.[17]

After missing the first two games of the 2019 season with a back injury, Mailata spent another season on injured reserve starting 21 September 2019.[18]

Mailata was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list by the Eagles on 29 July 2020.[19] He was activated from the list on 13 August.[20] On 13 September, Mailata made his NFL debut against the Washington Football Team, replacing injured rookie Jack Driscoll in the third quarter.[21] Mailata made his first start for the Eagles in Week 4 of the 2020 season against the San Francisco 49ers, filling in for injured Jason Peters.[22][23] On 1 November against the Dallas Cowboys, Mailata sustained a concussion in a helmet-to-helmet hit from Jaylon Smith.[24] On 2 January 2021, Mailata was deemed unable to play against Washington due to the concussion, ending Mailata's season playing in 15 appearances with 10 starts for the Eagles.[25] Mailata ended the 2020 season as a top-15 offensive tackle in the NFL from Week 11, as graded by Pro Football Focus.[26] Over the course of the 2020 season, Mailata led the Eagles in fewest sacks allowed amongst offensive linemen (7). He also led Eagles' offensive linemen in pass pro snaps with 502, equating to a pass pro snaps per sack score of 71.7, which was third-best on the team behind Lane Johnson and Jack Driscoll.[27]

On 31 August 2021, Eagles' head coach Nick Sirianni named Mailata the starting left tackle for the 2021 NFL season.[28] On 11 September, Mailata signed a four-year, USD$64 million contract including $40.85 million guaranteed.[29]

Mailata helped the Eagles reach Super Bowl LVII where they lost to the Kansas City Chiefs 38–35.[30]

His success has seen him frequently described by the media as a human "wrecking ball".[31][32][33]

On 4 April 2024, Mailata signed a three-year, $66 million extension that includes $48 million guaranteed and a $20 million signing bonus. His contract extension will keep him with the team through the 2028 season. His new extension puts him behind only Laremy Tunsil, Trent Williams and Andrew Thomas amongst the NFL’s highest-paid offensive tackles.[34]

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I don’t know how many gallons of gas Jerry’s boat holds but I know it’s a lot. Plus it’s expensive paying hush money and warding off paternity tests. NFL FAs can be expensive. Why spend the fan dollars on the team to improve? The lemmings will keep throwing money at him either way. Simple choice actually.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I would trade Parsons.
we sure will complain when micah gets paid, because if there's any indication now how he'll be later, we've already seen glimpses, get the money and become a dud, which means we'll have lots to talk about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
The thing with Micah is, I don't want him on another team chasing our QB. But I also don't want his wanna be influencer attitude on this team.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

But if we could get two first round picks for him or a first and a second we should trade him.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Do you watch football? He is a top 5 LT in the game. He is the only tackle to grade out at 83 or higher in both run and pass blocking last season. Him and Dickerson are arguably the best left side of an o-line in the game. I'd be happy as **** if I found out Mailata and Tyler were going to be our left o-line side for the upcoming season.