Eagles give Mailata 3-yr, $66 million extension; What are we doing?

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Look at my post above. It is a business and they will play they don't have a choice. I think they want to sign Dak but not at the amount they are asking for because Dak and Todd know the Cowboys have no leverage. Threatening to bench him will make them be ok with a trade if they don't get a contract they like. It is unfortunately their only play due to his contract.
Respectfully, I don't think that "play" would work. No organization in the world works if your employees are furious. You can't throw away a season to make a point on one players contract. I'm not saying Dallas has to cave to Daks demands but benching him is not the answer. Trade him after June 1st, cut him... whatever but you can't have a player making 40+ million this year riding the bench.

Xizor

Reaction score
Respectfully, I don't think that "play" would work. No organization in the world works if your employees are furious. You can't throw away a season to make a point on one players contract. I'm not saying Dallas has to cave to Daks demands but benching him is not the answer. Trade him after June 1st, cut him... whatever but you can't have a player making 40+ million this year riding the bench.
I agree with you completely I just don't see any other way for them to get leverage if they won't agree on a trade is all I really mean because Dak will want to play. I really think Cowboys have a limit on what they want to spend and if they can't get them to agree on what they feel Dak is worth they will ask nicely for them to find a trade to a team that will agree to the contract he wants and Dak wants to play for. Todd France is difficult for owners but great for the player. It is why we are in this stupid contract in first place. We can't afford the cap hit to just let him play this year out that is for sure. Something has to happen.

Xizor

Reaction score
Oh also I do thinks teams do this but under the disguise of exaggerating injury. Instead of "benched" they say "injured." Look at Jonathan Taylor last year. He was injured first 4 games or so. He even shouted out on social media he wasn't injured and could play. He was then given permission to seek a trade. I am guessing he found out the Indy was willing to pay more than anyone else so he signed with Indy. I dunno I just feel Dak and all our future contracts coming up are why things are happening this offseason. Also I think Cowboys need to hire a better negotiator cuz Stephen sucks lol.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It's their only play and is a last straw move. He has a no trade clause. If they don't extend him and cut him next year there will be over 50 million a year dead cap hit due to the void years. How do you see getting out of this without just bending over and over paying for him? I need to add that is if he says no to trade when you first ask nicely.
Dak and his agent may not get the amount they want, but they’ll get the most they possibly can if he’s a free agent. They won’t get the most they possibly can if they narrow it to one team and that team has to give up assets just to have the right to sign him to a massive contract. Like Cousins he’ll seek the largest guaranteed amount he can get. The Cowboys have to know how much they think he’s worth. Who knows if they’ve indicated that amount to them. Right now Dallas has to live with he plays out his deal, $29 million left, and they can bid for his services next March if they are so inclined. They knew the possible ramifications of the NTC. Like Buffalo right now, and Philly last year, there comes a time you endure the cap hit to be able to move on with more flexibility within the salary cap parameters. These are all adults. They appreciate where each other stands. It’s not emotional. There will be no threats or benchings. If the Cowboys find themselves out of playoff contention I’m sure they’ll see what Lance can do as they will have to make a decision on him, as well. Some seasons are better than others. 2024 does not look particularly promising right now.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
They extended several of their players, Landon Dickerson probably their best o lineman was the first.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
They should have made him a defensive lineman. He's a physical freak.
Well....he actually has turned into a pro bowl level LT, but just has to wait for the older guys with more name recognition to retire. He's one of those guys where once he gets his 1st probowl, he'll get 7 more in a row.

He is pretty freaky though. His rugby videos are funny.....regular 215 pound jacked up rugby players who hit like a ton of bricks, just bouncing off of him, or hanging on for dear life until 2 or 3 more dudes latch on to him to bring him down.

Must be fun to go through life a literal giant compared to every other human being you see

Xizor

Reaction score
Dak and his agent may not get the amount they want, but they’ll get the most they possibly can if he’s a free agent. They won’t get the most they possibly can if they narrow it to one team and that team has to give up assets just to have the right to sign him to a massive contract. Like Cousins he’ll seek the largest guaranteed amount he can get. The Cowboys have to know how much they think he’s worth. Who knows if they’ve indicated that amount to them. Right now Dallas has to live with he plays out his deal, $29 million left, and they can bid for his services next March if they are so inclined. They knew the possible ramifications of the NTC. Like Buffalo right now, and Philly last year, there comes a time you endure the cap hit to be able to move on with more flexibility within the salary cap parameters. These are all adults. They appreciate where each other stands. It’s not emotional. There will be no threats or benchings. If the Cowboys find themselves out of playoff contention I’m sure they’ll see what Lance can do as they will have to make a decision on him, as well. Some seasons are better than others. 2024 does not look particularly promising right now.
I never meant the threat thing literally kinda meant that this is the corner I thought they backed themselves in. However I just now discovered I was wrong . I thought trading him made the dead money less. They get the same amount of cap hit whether they trade him or cut him post June 1st. Letting him play out his contract is the best option outside of a new deal. We pay him 60 mill to play for us this year and get a 40 million dead cap hit next year. Trading him makes zero difference. So your sir are absolutely correct. Anyways, my point was this contract is the reason we have done very little in free agency. This whole damn thing is a mess. I just don't see doom and gloom and can't wait to see what we do in the draft.

DZSierra

Reaction score
Nope....I want MIcah gone....traded....and a host from 105.3 The Fan said this morning that he's heard from at least FOUR individuals that work at The Star that it would be welcome news....sounds like he is one big headache.
1 - Micha has become a primadona and is doing stupid crap.

2 - Micha holds others for accountability and he expects people to train like he does and he rubs some people who work at the star for his attitude.

If it's #1, better get rid of him, if it's #2, your orgainization better look at itself it the mirror.

Honestly, I think it could be either...

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I never meant the threat thing literally kinda meant that this is the corner I thought they backed themselves in. However I just now discovered I was wrong . I thought trading him made the dead money less. They get the same amount of cap hit whether they trade him or cut him post June 1st. Letting him play out his contract is the best option outside of a new deal. We pay him 60 mill to play for us this year and get a 40 million dead cap hit next year. Trading him makes zero difference. So your sir are absolutely correct. Anyways, my point was this contract is the reason we have done very little in free agency. This whole damn thing is a mess. I just don't see doom and gloom and can't wait to see what we do in the draft.
His remaining pay between now and the end of the 2024 season is $29 million. He’s already been paid $131 million of his $160 million 4 year deal. He’s going to become a free agent and sign the last player contract of his career. If I had to guess, I believe New Orleans will sign him unless Carr has a great season. Saints can get out of his deal after this season. Dak will not get $60 million AAV. Someone will, but not him. Nonetheless, it will be a significant amount, over $50 million per season. It is always exciting to start out with a new QB. It isn’t painless, though, but either is keeping Dak five more years.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Well....he actually has turned into a pro bowl level LT, but just has to wait for the older guys with more name recognition to retire. He's one of those guys where once he gets his 1st probowl, he'll get 7 more in a row.

He is pretty freaky though. His rugby videos are funny.....regular 215 pound jacked up rugby players who hit like a ton of bricks, just bouncing off of him, or hanging on for dear life until 2 or 3 more dudes latch on to him to bring him down.

Must be fun to go through life a literal giant compared to every other human being you see
I took notice when I noticed how big he was, and muscular. He just wasn't tall, and skinny this guy was a monster. I saw the videos of rugby players hanging onto his feet and legs while he drug them down the field another 10 or 20 yards. It was like me on the football field with a team of 5-year-old. :)

I heard he turned into a good left tackle, but I wonder what he could have been on the D line as well. You don't see guys in the NFL that look like him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't believe Mailata will play up to that contract. The Eagles overpaid for his services which brings us to what the Cowboys are doing. They are not overpaying to keep certain guys, especially on the O-line. LT Tyron Smith is gone and younger talent like Chuma Edoga has been re-signed at a comparative discount. This will allow Tyler Smith to slide over to Left Tackle and Chuma to be our new starting Left Guard.

Xizor

Reaction score
His remaining pay between now and the end of the 2024 season is $29 million. He’s already been paid $131 million of his $160 million 4 year deal. He’s going to become a free agent and sign the last player contract of his career. If I had to guess, I believe New Orleans will sign him unless Carr has a great season. Saints can get out of his deal after this season. Dak will not get $60 million AAV. Someone will, but not him. Nonetheless, it will be a significant amount, over $50 million per season. It is always exciting to start out with a new QB. It isn’t painless, though, but either is keeping Dak five more years.
There is still 40 million in dead cap space. It is the restructures they did that pushes the money to the void years.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39821175/what-happens-cowboys-dak-prescott-contract-extension

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I don't believe Mailata will play up to that contract. The Eagles overpaid for his services which brings us to what the Cowboys are doing. They are not overpaying to keep certain guys, especially on the O-line. LT Tyron Smith is gone and younger talent like Chuma Edoga has been re-signed at a comparative discount. This will allow Tyler Smith to slide over to Left Tackle and Chuma to be our new starting Left Guard.
Every team has to pay for quality. And to do that you have to have cap space to afford quality. As a Cowboys fan you don’t want Mailata to play up to his contract, but you don’t have a clue whether he will or not. Bottom line, they’re paying a highly regarded left tackle and you’re impressed the Cowboys re-signed Chuma Edoga “at a comparative discount”. Tyler Smith has not proven himself a good NFL left tackle, you just want to believe he magically will be one. If wishes from fans mattered the Cowboys would win the Super Bowl every year.