Eagles release France

BigHank

Reaction score
PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) - With kicker David Akers close to returning from a hamstring injury, the Philadelphia Eagles have shuffled their kicking game.

The Eagles on Tuesday claimed kicker Jose Cortez off waivers from the Dallas Cowboys and released kicker Todd France.

It took less than 24 hours for Cortez to find work after he was waived by the Cowboys on Monday. He missed a 29-yard field goal in Sunday's 13-10 loss to Seattle, and is 12-of-16 on the season.

The release of France is surprising since he has kicked well in three games since replacing Akers, who is sidelined with a hamstring injury. France has made 6-of-7 field goals, with his only miss being a block.

Eagles coach Andy Reid has indicated that Akers may return for this weekend's game against Denver.

[url="http://spinbox.kffl.com/?SIT=KFFL_website_articlebody"]http://spinbox.kffl.com/?SIT=KFFL_website_articlebody[/url]

"If he's not back this week, he'll be back the next week," Reid told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "We will see how he does by Wednesday."

PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) - With kicker David Akers close to returning from a hamstring injury, the Philadelphia Eagles have shuffled their kicking game.

The Eagles on Tuesday claimed kicker Jose Cortez off waivers from the Dallas Cowboys and released kicker Todd France.

It took less than 24 hours for Cortez to find work after he was waived by the Cowboys on Monday. He missed a 29-yard field goal in Sunday's 13-10 loss to Seattle, and is 12-of-16 on the season.

The release of France is surprising since he has kicked well in three games since replacing Akers, who is sidelined with a hamstring injury. France has made 6-of-7 field goals, with his only miss being a block.

Eagles coach Andy Reid has indicated that Akers may return for this weekend's game against Denver.

[url="http://spinbox.kffl.com/?SIT=KFFL_website_articlebody"]http://spinbox.kffl.com/?SIT=KFFL_website_articlebody[/url]

"If he's not back this week, he'll be back the next week," Reid told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "We will see how he does by Wednesday."

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
That is just plain nuts. I would not wait a minute to get France in here in Dallas.

BigHank

Reaction score
Now that the Eagles have cut France we need to sign him now. He has proven himself in regular season games.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I agree. at this point, I would feel more comfortable with France in there than I would with Scushi or whatever his name is.

TheHustler

Reaction score
Hopefully, tomorrow's headlines will read Cowboys sign France, Cowboys and Eagles swap kickers.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Absolutely get him in here fast.

Didn't France set some records in NFLE and isn't he the guy who was in a neck and neck battle in the pre-season with Matt Bryant in Tampa?

Makes you wonder if maybe he hurt himself recently for the Eagles to release him and pick up Cortez. It makes no sense whatsoever from the outside looking in.

BlueWave

Reaction score
At least get him and give him a few days to compete. Then cut the other.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
I think they'll use Cortez to kick off and Akers for field goals. At least that's what I've read somewhere.

BlueWave

Reaction score
Yeah, it will lessen the strain on Akers leg. Probably only be for a few weeks though. It isn't always easy to keep two kickers active on gameday.

ghst187

Reaction score
Yeah, if we had the roster spot, I wouldn't mind Cortez keeping kickoff duties.
That was the one thing he did pretty well.
Definitely no brainer on France. We need to sign that dude. He looked good making all the kicks I saw him kick.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Yeah, if we had the roster spot, I wouldn't mind Cortez keeping kickoff duties.
That was the one thing he did pretty well.

Yeah that was until Sunday when he started kicking 'em out of bounds. :)

He was pretty good at that and he was a darn good tackler.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

I don't know. Everytime Cortez came onto the field I got a knot in my stomach. I glad he's gone.

ghst187

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

hopefully he'll kick out of bounds for the iggles....

DeathToTheSkinS

Reaction score
france has been great this yr...im sure he would have a chip on his shoulder as well since being cut. Anyone is better than cortez...hes cost us 2 games.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I don't know. Everytime Cortez came onto the field I got a knot in my stomach. I glad he's gone.

Absolutely. The guy is never going to be a consistent kicker.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
I think Suisham gets a shot this week, and if he falters even a little, we pick up France.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
AmericasTeam31 said:
I think they'll use Cortez to kick off and Akers for field goals. At least that's what I've read somewhere.
They have plenty of extra roster spots since they don't use any Running Backs. :lmao2: