Hoov

Reaction score
CHAD LEWIS BACK AS AN EAGLE!
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

November 9, 2005
By DAVE SPADARO

Veteran tight end Chad Lewis, who last played for the Eagles in a starring role in the NFC Championshp Game win over Atlanta, has been re-signed by the team as a boost to the position as the team prepares for Dallas and the second half of this season.

Lewis, 34, is now in his third stint with the Eagles after originally signing as a rookie free agent in 1997. A three-time Pro Bowl selection, Lewis has caught 223 passes for 2,285 yards and 23 touchdowns in 101 regular season games in Philadelphia. In 11 postseason contests, he has posted a team record 38 receptions for 409 yards and 3 scores, including a pair of touchdowns in last year's NFC Championship game win over Atlanta. During that game, Lewis suffered a Lis Franc foot sprain that sidelined him for Super Bowl 39.

A native of Orem, Utah, Lewis made the Brigham Young squad as a walk-on and earned a roster spot as a rookie free agent with the Eagles in 1997.

That year, Lewis caught four touchdown passes, but was released by the Eagles early in the 1998 season. He spent parts of 1998 and 1999 with St. Louis before being claimed off waivers by the Eagles late in the 1999 campaign.

Lewis led all NFC tight ends in 2000 with 69 receptions en route to his first Pro Bowl selection.

In the NFC Championship Game victory, Lewis caught two touchdown passes but suffered a Lis Franc injury. Lewis was unable to play in Super Bowl XXXIX against New England and was not healthy enough to work out for teams until recently.

The Eagles brought Lewis in on Tuesday night and he worked out on Wednesday. He will practice with the team on Wednesday and should be uniform Monday night to play the Cowboys. Lewis is expected to be the team's No. 2 tight end, behind starter L.J. Smith.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Hoov said:
CHAD LEWIS BACK AS AN EAGLE!
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

November 9, 2005
By DAVE SPADARO

Veteran tight end Chad Lewis, who last played for the Eagles in a starring role in the NFC Championshp Game win over Atlanta, has been re-signed by the team as a boost to the position as the team prepares for Dallas and the second half of this season.

Lewis, 34, is now in his third stint with the Eagles after originally signing as a rookie free agent in 1997. A three-time Pro Bowl selection, Lewis has caught 223 passes for 2,285 yards and 23 touchdowns in 101 regular season games in Philadelphia. In 11 postseason contests, he has posted a team record 38 receptions for 409 yards and 3 scores, including a pair of touchdowns in last year's NFC Championship game win over Atlanta. During that game, Lewis suffered a Lis Franc foot sprain that sidelined him for Super Bowl 39.

A native of Orem, Utah, Lewis made the Brigham Young squad as a walk-on and earned a roster spot as a rookie free agent with the Eagles in 1997.

That year, Lewis caught four touchdown passes, but was released by the Eagles early in the 1998 season. He spent parts of 1998 and 1999 with St. Louis before being claimed off waivers by the Eagles late in the 1999 campaign.

Lewis led all NFC tight ends in 2000 with 69 receptions en route to his first Pro Bowl selection.

In the NFC Championship Game victory, Lewis caught two touchdown passes but suffered a Lis Franc injury. Lewis was unable to play in Super Bowl XXXIX against New England and was not healthy enough to work out for teams until recently.

The Eagles brought Lewis in on Tuesday night and he worked out on Wednesday. He will practice with the team on Wednesday and should be uniform Monday night to play the Cowboys. Lewis is expected to be the team's No. 2 tight end, behind starter L.J. Smith.

That suggests to me that LJ might not be ready to come back yet.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Or, it could mean that Philly intends to use a lot of 2 TE sets to offset the lose of TO.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
The 2 TE set is a key set in the Eagles offense with or without Owens. Our 2nd TE, Spach, is out with a lis-franc sprain (same injury Chad Lewis suffered in last years NFCCG).

It will either be Smith/Lewis (let's hope) or Lewis/Bartrum

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Or, it could mean that Philly intends to use a lot of 2 TE sets to offset the lose of TO.

That's one of the looks we want you to see -- another is our newly developing running game with premeir running back Brian Westbrook. Brian's objective will be to open up the field, and keep the Cowboy defense honest long enough for Reggie Brown to break for the flat.

Now it will be in Philly and it will be raining, so that will make it extremely difficult for Bledsoe to make audibles. There's real good opportunities for rushed passes, and turnovers.

The Only certainty is that this will be a dog-fight!

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Funny, I saw the Washington game and I didn't see any new look running game. I also didn't see the premier Brian Westbrook you were talking about. Perhaps you should call him the premier scat back.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
That's one of the looks we want you to see -- another is our newly developing running game with premeir running back Brian Westbrook. Brian's objective will be to open up the field, and keep the Cowboy defense honest long enough for Reggie Brown to break for the flat.

Now it will be in Philly and it will be raining, so that will make it extremely difficult for Bledsoe to make audibles. There's real good opportunities for rushed passes, and turnovers.

The Only certainty is that this will be a dog-fight!

I doubt Westbrook will be opening much up. I expect us to double him or use a DB on him. In all honesty, I believe the only chance you have is for McNabb to use mobility to buy time for your receivers. I think his initial reads are going to be covered pretty well. I think our pass defense matches up VERY well with your receiving corps. If McNabb isn't able to ellude the rush and make yardage by breaking the pocket, your done. That is how I see it.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
dmq said:
Funny, I saw the Washington game and I didn't see any new look running game. I also didn't see the premier Brian Westbrook you were talking about. Perhaps you should call him the premier scat back.

We didn't see Bledsoe opening up the field with Glen until that dreaded last game that took place in your house. You'll probabLy see quite a few things you didn't see in the Washington game. Again, we're 3-0 at home!

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I know one thing we won't be seeing is T.O. Remember he was your biggest offensive threat. Philly fans can put it any way they want, the offense just doesn't look the same without him in the game.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I doubt Westbrook will be opening much up. I expect us to double him or use a DB on him. In all honesty, I believe the only chance you have is for McNabb to use mobility to buy time for your receivers. I think his initial reads are going to be covered pretty well. I think our pass defense matches up VERY well with your receiving corps. If McNabb isn't able to ellude the rush and make yardage by breaking the pocket, your done. That is how I see it.

You're painting a pretty glib picture ABQC. Actually I don't agree with you. Can you handle me saying that your defense is Under-rated? I hope so, because there's something in my gut that tells me that your defense is going to get revealed as probably just "ordinary."

McNabb's OL holds up pretty well -- and I don't see any reason why Westbrook will not continue to enjoy some passes, run touches, and breakout runs to paydirt.

Hoov

Reaction score
LJ Smith was listed questionable with a concussion from last weeks game, but i really doubt he will miss monday night.

Lewis is needed in case of another injury, but he may play on monday night. I'm not expecting much from Lewis as far as a receiving threat, but he is a good blocker and does know this offense.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
dmq said:
I know one thing we won't be seeing is T.O.

Now where did you hear that bit of breaking news!?:rolleyes:

Remember he was your biggest offensive threat.

Somehow I do vaguely remember this T.O. person being a threat of some type.

Philly fans can put it any way they want, the offense just doesn't look the same without him in the game

That's Not necessarily a bad thing!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dmq said:
I know one thing we won't be seeing is T.O. Remember he was your biggest offensive threat. Philly fans can put it any way they want, the offense just doesn't look the same without him in the game.

Just as important the Philly defense is not that intimdating as they once were and that has been a year long thing with them. I know most of the focus has been on McNabb and T.O. but it is the philly defense who has been the biggest help to the eagles in setting up field position and creating turnover in the past and they are not doing it this year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
You're painting a pretty glib picture ABQC. Actually I don't agree with you. Can you handle me saying that your defense is Under-rated? I hope so, because there's something in my gut that tells me that your defense is going to get revealed as probably just "ordinary."

McNabb's OL holds up pretty well -- and I don't see any reason why Westbrook will not continue to enjoy some passes, run touches, and breakout runs to paydirt.

I can absolutly handle you saying that our defense is "Under-rated." I could probably even handle it if you said we were over-rated. I wouldn't agree with it but I could handle it. Bottom line here. I don't believe Philly can afford to keep McNabb stationary. Your OL may be up to the task, as you suspect, but I don't believe it. More to the point, I believe that your OL would have to be more then just up to the task. I believe they would have to be better then that. I don't see your WRs getting a whole lot of seperation on us. I think that in order for them to get open consistantly, they will need more time. It will take longer to develope. I don't think that McNabb is going to get 5 or 6 seconds to find guys on a consistant basis if he just stands in the pocket. Further, it's easier for a young defense to have success against a one dimensional team with a QB that is always going to be in the same place. IMO, no question. If McNabb doesn't use mobility, it's going to be very difficult for Philly to score points offensively.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Just as important the Philly defense is not that intimdating as they once were and that has been a year long thing with them. I know most of the focus has been on McNabb and T.O. but it is the philly defense who has been the biggest help to the eagles in setting up field position and creating turnover in the past and they are not doing it this year.

There's no reason the Eagle defense cannot step up there game at home (remember 3-0 at Home). Trotter, Kearse, Dawkins, Shepard & Brown, Dhani Jones, and Simineau are all still part of the Green-punishers, all healty and able to take their collective games to the next level.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
There's no reason the Eagle defense cannot step up there game at home (remember 3-0 at Home). Trotter, Kearse, Dawkins, Shepard & Brown, Dhani Jones, and Simineau are all still part of the Green-punishers, all healty and able to take their collective games to the next level.

Over rated dude, Shepard does not impress me at all, Dawkins is having a poor year and the pressure is almost non-exsistance. Hang on to your 3-0 home record because the Boy's are back in town and unlike past years where we hope to stay close we know we can kick the **** out of this eagles team and that is exactly what they plan on doing. Your home games aginst who? SF,Oak and SD.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I can absolutly handle you saying that our defense is "Under-rated." I could probably even handle it if you said we were over-rated. I wouldn't agree with it but I could handle it. Bottom line here. I don't believe Philly can afford to keep McNabb stationary. Your OL may be up to the task, as you suspect, but I don't believe it. More to the point, I believe that your OL would have to be more then just up to the task. I believe they would have to be better then that. I don't see your WRs getting a whole lot of seperation on us. I think that in order for them to get open consistantly, they will need more time. It will take longer to develope. I don't think that McNabb is going to get 5 or 6 seconds to find guys on a consistant basis if he just stands in the pocket. Further, it's easier for a young defense to have success against a one dimensional team with a QB that is always going to be in the same place. IMO, no question. If McNabb doesn't use mobility, it's going to be very difficult for Philly to score points offensively

You handled that better than I expected!

Our WR are young and very fast; separation is not a problem if you mean getting open. But that's why we have Lamar Gordon (RB), and Westbrook to keep those CBs and Safeties honest and keep those LBs at home. McNabb will do His part, even if it means running for daylight Himself.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Over rated dude, Shepard does not impress me at all, Dawkins is having a poor year and the pressure is almost non-exsistance. Hang on to your 3-0 home record because the Boy's are back in town and unlike past years where we hope to stay close we know we can kick the **** out of this eagles team and that is exactly what they plan on doing. Your home games aginst who? SF,Oak and SD.

Weather conditions, the Home crowd, and a must win situation are enough to motivate this Eag;e tema into victory.