Eagles sign TE Chad Lewis

lspain1

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
McNabb's OL holds up pretty well -- and I don't see any reason why Westbrook will not continue to enjoy some passes, run touches, and breakout runs to paydirt.

PT, I'll part company on this one. McNabb's OL is OK in pass protection but has had problems opening up the run. There is a reason your run-pass ratio is what it is. In general Westbrook as a receiver out of the backfield leans more on his ability to make folks miss in space rather than the OL making blocks in front.

Your scheme last week principally attacking the edges let Arrington become a factor. Our LB's will also do well if you try the same thing. Your red zone offense has looked VERY poor lately as well. I'll be interested to see what Reid comes up with to solve this problem. I think you'll be leaning on FG's and your defense. Don't you agree?

I agree with you on a couple of points. Beldsoe is not Brunell. Brunell had a release that seemed to be measured in microseconds on Sunday. Bledsoe can not match that. Also, at home, the Eagle defense completely shut LT down. They successfully made the Chargers one dimensional.

HOWEVER, in spite of that, your team needed a huge break to achieve a win in the Charger game. You mentioning your team is undefeated at home is whistling past the graveyard.

Some inexperience along our OL may get you some false starts at the Linc but Bledsoe's ability ot audible is based on visual and not verbal cues. Crowd noise buys you little from our experienced quarterbaack. The Eagles will attempt to bring pressure. The Cowboys will be ready. We'll see who wins that battle.

As far as poor weather is concerned, Bledsoe is very experienced in poor weather play. Our downfield attack is as robust as yours and our running attack is better. Plus, we have already had a poor weather game this year in Seattle. How about the Eagles?

TonyS

Reaction score
Weather conditions, the Home crowd, and a must win situation are enough to motivate this Eag;e tema into victory.

Good thing we're playing the Eagles and not the dreaded "Eag;e tema." :D

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
TonyS said:
Good thing we're playing the Eagles and not the dreaded "Eag;e tema." :D

I started to edit that, But then I thought, they'll know what I meant to say. That was a funny use of the error!:D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
You handled that better than I expected!

Our WR are young and very fast; separation is not a problem if you mean getting open. But that's why we have Lamar Gordon (RB), and Westbrook to keep those CBs and Safeties honest and keep those LBs at home. McNabb will do His part, even if it means running for daylight Himself.

Gordon will not be the answer for you guys. I liked him a few years ago when he was with the RAMS (I think) but he's not the same player and in truth, was never a Bell Cow type back. As for Westbrook, well, I respect him but I don't fear him in your running game. Over 8 games this season, he's only had 95 carries for 328 yards. That's like 3.5 per and only 1 rushing TD. That won't get it done. His receiving skills are good but he's usually working against a LB. I expect we will use a CB or double him up. I don't think he will be much of a factor. The rest of your receiving corp? Let me just say this. Of McNabbs 2338 yards, 1602 of them came from TO, who will not suit up, LJ Smith who is questionable and Westbrook who I've already covered. That means that between Lewis, McMullin, Brown and McCants, you've managed to produce 711 yards in 8 games. You may be right. Your young guys may be able to step up but I wouldn't bet on it if it was your money I was spending. your asking an awful lot of your WRs to step up and beat our DBs with McNabb being a stationary target.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
You're painting a pretty glib picture ABQC. Actually I don't agree with you. Can you handle me saying that your defense is Under-rated? I hope so, because there's something in my gut that tells me that your defense is going to get revealed as probably just "ordinary."

McNabb's OL holds up pretty well -- and I don't see any reason why Westbrook will not continue to enjoy some passes, run touches, and breakout runs to paydirt.

Are we watching the same season? Granted our defense is young and a little banged up, but when you hold 3 of the top offenses in the leauge at that time to under 13 pts a game, one of which on the road, ordinary is hardley the term I would use.
Westbrook has not put the fear into anyone coming out of the backfield as a HB. He is dangerous in the screen, passing game. Believe me, this is not a game our team is taking lightly. Who exactly did you beat at home again? Please remind me of those power house teams.......

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Alright, wait a minute! This isn't directed toward anyone, it's more of a general statement. If you read through the responses directed toward any possible scenario, you'll find that nothing ...absolutely no scenario that I mentioned is acceptable to any of you.

True, I expect resistence to much of the things I've laid out, but if I listened to you guys, I might as well tell Andy Reid to forfeit the game.

Listen, you guys beat the crap out of us not that long ago (it seems as though it were yesterday to me). So why all of the paranoa? Let me dabble through some of your posts for a few, just a few comments...

McNabb:

I don't think that McNabb is going to get 5 or 6 seconds to find guys on a consistant basis if he just stands in the pocket

Lito Shepard:

Over rated dude, Shepard does not impress me at all, Dawkins is having a poor year and the pressure is almost non-exsistance

Westbrook:

I doubt Westbrook will be opening much up. I expect us to double him or use a DB on him. ...I also didn't see the premier Brian Westbrook you were talking about. Perhaps you should call him the premier scat back.
Lewis:

Lewis is needed in case of another injury

Eagle Defense:

Just as important the Philly defense is not that intimdating as they once were and that has been a year long thing with them

Dawkins:

Dawkins is having a poor year and the pressure is almost non-exsistance.

LJ Smith

Didn't L.J. Smith get a bit banged up last week -- LJ might not be ready to come back yet. LJ Smith was listed questionable with a concussion from last weeks game

T.O.:

I know one thing we won't be seeing is T.O. Remember he was your biggest offensive threat. Philly fans can put it any way they want, the offense just doesn't look the same without him in the game.

Eagles:

unlike past years where we hope to stay close we know we can kick the **** out of this eagles team and that is exactly what they plan on doing.

I understand that everyone gets hyped for the game, but no One has given the Eagles any credit on either side of the ball. Again, no one fan has said all that, but collectively, you're saying that the Eagles don't stand a chance and we're looking for another blowout game from your superior team. And I just do not buy into that!

The Eagles is not a team held up by spit and chewing gum! I take some offense that no one, no not one has had the cojones to stand up and say "upsets" still happen in the NFL. The Eagles have more aces in the Hole than you guys think, and I'm not joking, I thing this is going to be a real dog-fight effort. We know how Important this game is and the Eagles will not stop playing ball until the final second has expired.

I think you're too confident and you're about to underestimate the Eagles ability to kick tail!

As usual, I'll wish you good luck ...just not as Much good luck as the Eagles!

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
You're painting a pretty glib picture ABQC. Actually I don't agree with you. Can you handle me saying that your defense is Under-rated? I hope so, because there's something in my gut that tells me that your defense is going to get revealed as probably just "ordinary."

Sounds exactly like last time when you pranced around in here, with a little bit of class I might add, but with subtle hints and jabs that we were not good enough to contend with your Iggles at our house earlier in the season. And that was with your premiere RB and T.O.

So we will take our chances with our overrated (Under-rated?) defense that will be getting exposed in Philly as just ordinary. Good hunting!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This last post of yours kinda confuses me Talon.

I guess the comment I would make is that I don't see Philly rolling over. I mean, I do believe they are outmanned for a few reasons this Sunday but I also believe that they are a prideful team. They aren't going to go quitely into that good night IMO. We should beat them but that doesn't mean we will. That's why you play the games. I have a tremendous amount of respect for McNappie, as a player. I don't regard him as highly as some from the perspective of being a great QB, per say, but I do believe he is absolutely a great leader. I also think he's a winner. He is a a player, IMO, that can change a game if healthy.

That's all I'm saying.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
lLet's see how well their "Premeire" RB Westbrook runs without Fraley in the middle!. Say Hello to Freguson and Glover!. :iggles: :trophy: :suxiggle: :disseags:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Alright, wait a minute! This isn't directed toward anyone, it's more of a general statement. If you read through the responses directed toward any possible scenario, you'll find that nothing ...absolutely no scenario that I mentioned is acceptable to any of you.

True, I expect resistence to much of the things I've laid out, but if I listened to you guys, I might as well tell Andy Reid to forfeit the game.

Listen, you guys beat the crap out of us not that long ago (it seems as though it were yesterday to me). So why all of the paranoa? Let me dabble through some of your posts for a few, just a few comments...

McNabb:

I don't think that McNabb is going to get 5 or 6 seconds to find guys on a consistant basis if he just stands in the pocket

Lito Shepard:

Over rated dude, Shepard does not impress me at all, Dawkins is having a poor year and the pressure is almost non-exsistance

Westbrook:

I doubt Westbrook will be opening much up. I expect us to double him or use a DB on him. ...I also didn't see the premier Brian Westbrook you were talking about. Perhaps you should call him the premier scat back.
Lewis:

Eagle Defense:

Just as important the Philly defense is not that intimdating as they once were and that has been a year long thing with them

Dawkins:

LJ Smith

Didn't L.J. Smith get a bit banged up last week -- LJ might not be ready to come back yet. LJ Smith was listed questionable with a concussion from last weeks game

T.O.:

I know one thing we won't be seeing is T.O. Remember he was your biggest offensive threat. Philly fans can put it any way they want, the offense just doesn't look the same without him in the game.

Eagles:

unlike past years where we hope to stay close we know we can kick the **** out of this eagles team and that is exactly what they plan on doing.

I understand that everyone gets hyped for the game, but no One has given the Eagles any credit on either side of the ball. Again, no one fan has said all that, but collectively, you're saying that the Eagles don't stand a chance and we're looking for another blowout game from your superior team. And I just do not buy into that!

The Eagles is not a team held up by spit and chewing gum! I take some offense that no one, no not one has had the cojones to stand up and say "upsets" still happen in the NFL. The Eagles have more aces in the Hole than you guys think, and I'm not joking, I thing this is going to be a real dog-fight effort. We know how Important this game is and the Eagles will not stop playing ball until the final second has expired.

I think you're too confident and you're about to underestimate the Eagles ability to kick tail!

No one said you had to call Reid and tell him to forfeit the game. LOL However you come to a Cowboys site and tell us how your gut that tells me that your defense is going to get revealed as probably just "ordinary." If any defense in the NFC is ordinary it would be the eagles, no one else is giving up 23 points a game. I also don't think the teams in the East are scared of the eagles any longer, respect yes but I don't think the eagles intimidate anyone in the east right now. I like our chances and Dallas is not coming to try and stay close they are coming to show that the eagles are no longer the top dog.

31smackdown

Reaction score
The key to this game and every game against the Eagles is to make sure they don't get comfortable so that they can dink and dunk and spread the ball around, because that is what they are good at. I think that will return with TO gone and you could see that they played better last game. McNabb was clearly moving around better and trying to put the game on his back like he usually does, but hasn't been able to do because of injury. The Eagles will definitely be ready to play and play hard, with something to prove.

I think Dallas has really missed Patrick Crayton the last few games, especially on third down. The emergance of Barber and being able to free up Witten are key. The most thing will be for Dallas to establish the running game to buy some time for Bledsoe on passing downs.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

McNabb:

Lito Shepard:

Westbrook:

Lewis:

Eagle Defense:

Dawkins:

LJ Smith

T.O.:

Eagles:

Honestly, we all know the Eagles are a good ball club. All I am saying is, we have not seen the dominance from them this year. They are beatable, and somewhat one dimensional. You cant tell me everytime McNabb throws that one hopper pass to an open wide reciever your blood doesnt boil. And thats just it! This is not the Philly offense that we are used to. Now, 8 games in they are 4-4 and STILL dangerous, but for anyone to say they are as Dangerous, with out many key elements, is delusional.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Philly does have some weapons. McNabb, with his legs, can cause problems for a defense. Westbrook is dangerous as a reciever out of the backfield, and their WR's aren't as bad as many make them out to be without TO.

They can definatley win the game.

However, there are matchup problems for the Eagles.

They're light at DE and can be had in the running game. Same goes for inside at DT too. Dallas ran on them in Dallas, and I think they'll do it again in Philly. Actually, the Dallas running game has been picking up steam as the season has progressed, so we may run better the second time around. That matchup favors Dallas.

One of the staples of a Jim Johnson defense is their blitz package and one of our strengths is picking up the blitz and getting the ball out quickly. We did that the first time around and I'd expect them to be successful Monday night too. Bledsoe is too experienced and Parcells put too much emphasis on blitz pickup for it to hurt us too much. When we played the Commanders (hack... spit), Williams tried blitzing a couple of times and pulled completely off that strategy because we picked it up perfectly and gained yards each time.

We have been strong all year stopping the run and we're only getting better each game. The Eagle running game has been, um, less than stellar, and it should be very difficult for Philly to get much on the ground.

Clearly the passing game has been Phily's strength for the past few years, and it has killed Dallas in the past. However, this is a different Cowboy defense than you've seen the last few years as well. They cover... and they do it real well. Newman, Henry and Glenn are a teriffic trio of corners and they're a huge reason the Dallas defense is playing so well. The problems we had in the first few games with the big pass seems to have been fixed. Keith Davis/Willie Pile at FS has been more than adequate and the combination of our FS's and our CB's has allowed Roy Lee to stay near the line of scrimmage and cover the backs and TE's underneath which is a strength and keeps him out of deep coverage. So many times this year I've watch opposing QB's look... look... look and not find anyone open. The coverage is light years ahead of where it has been... including 2003 when we were ranked #1 defensively. The Philly WR's have been discussed a lot, so I'll just leave it at they don't really scare anyone although they aren't terrible.

Our passrush isn't like you've seen either... really since Charles Haley roamed in Dallas. Frankly, I'll take this year's pass rush over the Haley years because it comes from so many different players. Like ABQ said, if McNabb moves around well, we could have dome problems. If he stand in the pocket though, I really do think it'll get ugly for Philly.

Look at it this way. What has changed since our first game against you guys?

*McNabb might be more healthy.
*You don't have TO.
*The location of the game.
*All of Dallas' young players have more experience.
*Dallas has more experience with it's new defensive scheme.
*The free agents we picked up have more experience in the system.
*We should have Julius Jones for the whole game instead of just a half.
*We have discovered that Marion Barber is a very good RB.
*We have Peerless Price instead of Patrick Crayton.
*The Eagles are more desperate.
*Dallas is coming off of a bye and is rested.
*Apparently, the weather should be wet for the game.

Now, looking at that, ask yourself if you think the outcome should be significantly different than the first time around.

Honestly, I don't expect Dallas to blow out Philly and I think we very well could lose the game. Will we? I don't know. However, the game worries me from the standpoint that Philly will be looking for revenge and that it's at their field. Also, getting rid of TO will be a mental boost, even if it is a talent drain.

It should be an interesting game.