Eagles Signing Everyone??

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Posted: News 6 Mar 2006 9:55 pm CT
1+1= Very Interesting
By Rafael Vela 1 Comment

Recently cut C Kevin Mawae tells New York Newsday he’s still the best center on the market. “I guess people look down on 35 year old centers who make the Pro Bowl six times,” said Mawae, who was disappointed by his release.

Mawae won’t be down too long. His agent Mark Bartelstein said several teams contacted him Monday to inquire about Mawae. The Eagles are believed to be one of those teams.

Let’s do the math. The Eagles are supposed to have LeCharles Bentley all but locked up. Why are they checking out Mawae? Are they looking to sign both, playing Mawae at center and Bentley at guard? Or is the Bentley-to-Philly rumor being exposed as that, just a rumor?

This should make Cowboys fans wonder — Mawae claims he will only go to the team with a good chance of winning the Super Bowl.

Apparently Phily is out to corner the market on centers.....

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I've always thought the Eagles were looking at Bentley to be a guard, because they have a more obvious hole since they are moving Shawn Andrews to replace Runyan at RT.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
This had definitely left me confounded as well, I'm not sure why everybody thinks that Philly is the team to beat in 06'? Last time I checked they still have the same overrated coach and QB, the defense has tons of holes, they have no running game, a shaky Oline, no receiver (after TO is cut), etc. Yet every major free agent is supposedly signing there. Where did they get all this money from? They are going to magically rebound and are guaranteed to be in NFC championship again? A few FA's are going to put them over the top?

I mean come on, this is a team that went 0-6 in the division last season and will be lucky to be .500 next year, healthy mcnabb or not. At least we are the only NFC East team that can say they swept them with McNabb in the lineup both games. Wheter its the fans or local media, something is definitely wrong with the cheesestakes for these people to be so delusional.:laugh1:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'm sure thats what they think about us, seeing as how our name gets attached to many FAs.

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
This had definitely left me confounded as well, I'm not sure why everybody thinks that Philly is the team to beat in 06'? Last time I checked they still have the same overrated coach and QB, the defense has tons of holes, they have no running game, a shaky Oline, no receiver (after TO is cut), etc. Yet every major free agent is supposedly signing there. Where did they get all this money from? They are going to magically rebound and are guaranteed to be in NFC championship again? A few FA's are going to put them over the top?

I mean come on, this is a team that went 0-6 in the division last season and will be lucky to be .500 next year, healthy mcnabb or not. At least we are the only NFC East team that can say they swept them with McNabb in the lineup both games. Wheter its the fans or local media, something is definitely wrong with the cheesestakes for these people to be so delusional.:laugh1:

Agreed-no fan of McNabb, but Reid(just like the rest of Holmgren's assistants) is hugely over-rated.
Heck-you could give him(and Mike Sherman for that matter) the entire Army and Marines, and they still will find a way to self-destruct.

parchy

Reaction score
As long as McNabb is 100%, the Eagles will be over .500 every year... and they've got the cap space to sign both. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

samsnead96

Reaction score
Bentley can play guard. I believe he has already done so with the Saints. One of the reasons he was so sought after was because of his versatility.

If they are going after Mawae it means they aren't going after Hutchinson because Bentley will be the left guard.

Being an Eagles fan, I was kind of hoping for a Bentley and Hutchinson offseason haul...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
samsnead96 said:
Bentley can play guard. I believe he has already done so with the Saints. One of the reasons he was so sought after was because of his versatility.

If they are going after Mawae it means they aren't going after Hutchinson because Bentley will be the left guard.

Being an Eagles fan, I was kind of hoping for a Bentley and Hutchinson offseason haul...

Fans from probably 25 other teams likely feel the same way.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
Last time I checked they still have the same overrated coach and QB, the defense has tons of holes, they have no running game, a shaky Oline, no receiver (after TO is cut), etc. Yet every major free agent is supposedly signing there. Where did they get all this money from? They are going to magically rebound and are guaranteed to be in NFC championship again? A few FA's are going to put them over the top?

I mean come on, this is a team that went 0-6 in the division last season and will be lucky to be .500 next year, healthy mcnabb or not. At least we are the only NFC East team that can say they swept them with McNabb in the lineup both games. Wheter its the fans or local media, something is definitely wrong with the cheesestakes for these people to be so delusional.

Quote from: Theogt ...
I'm sure thats what they think about us, seeing as how our name gets attached to many FAs

Actually, I don't!

Foot Note: Interesting observation that B4MVP made. No comments about the Giants (NFCE Champs) ...no comments about the Commanders (NFCE wildcard). Why so much concern about a team he believes there should be no worries about?:confused:

We're looking at the Cowboys, Commanders and Giants as tough NFCE teams that it would be an honor to beat. Most Eagle fans I've heard from want to show the NFCE and the NFL that they are worthy of being part of the recently emerged "tough" NFCE! Last year was disappointing in several ways,
and I won't begin to lay out excuses; it's history!

Now the draft hasn't begun, and the Eagles have not made any FA acquisitions. So how could B4MVP possibly know what the Eagles OL/DL and everything in between, will look like? He's blowing smoke, and it's put into perspective. He's supposed to blow (smoke) at rival team fans; it's the American way ...it's what we do. But at least add some credibility to it! No professional coach from any franchise in the NFL would sit back, recognize problems from the previous year, and do absolutely nothing about it!

If B4MVP wants to believe that the Eagles are the same team as in 2005, that's great! But I'll bet Cowboy strategists aren't being so naive. There's Not too many teams in the NFCE that can fly under the radar; especially with your winning records (I still don't know why the Cowboys didn't make it into the 2005 playoffs?).

Anyway, you can bet your boottom dollar on one thing ...the Eagles will not
underestimate anyone in the NFCE -- especially the Cowboys!

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
What about Hank Fraley? I thought Fraley was a pretty good player. I know he was injured last year. Was it that serious?

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
I'm alittle shocked that nobody mentions Minny as a big offseason player. they have just a ton of cap room.

No doubt Philly and Dallas are going to get some guys, but if Minny wanted, they could overpay HUGE for a guy or two that somebody else really wanted.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Wheat said:
I'm alittle shocked that nobody mentions Minny as a big offseason player. they have just a ton of cap room.

No doubt Philly and Dallas are going to get some guys, but if Minny wanted, they could overpay HUGE for a guy or two that somebody else really wanted.

Plus they have the "Love Boat". That's got to be a huge attraction for potential FAs.

:cool:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
If this CBA will get fixed, then we can all find out who is going where?

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
The Eagles are where the Cowboys franchise was in 1996 (minus the Superbowls). The window is closing fast and they're going to make a last push to sneak in before it's shut.

ravidubey

Reaction score
If I were the Eagles, I'd do everything I could to prove to myself and everyone else that my window of oppportunity is wide open as long as #5 is alive.

They have a solid core of players on offense, they just need to get more physical. Lendale White and Hutchinson/Bentley/Mawae will dramatically help take care of that. I'm sure Eric Moulds or Isaac Bruce would also be a very nice fit.

They have serious issues on defense with their LB corps aging, their DL inneffective, and the best player on the team, Brian Dawkins, a year older. I see Philly going all defense in the draft after the 2nd round and also grabbing two to three free agents to support their front seven.

Why not? What the Hell is cap space for anyway? Hutchinson, Bruce, Mawae, Arrington, and two solid but unspectacular front seven players would be a great haul. If they can afford Bentley instead of Mawae then they've grabbed the two best free agents the league has available in the forseable future in Hutchinson and Bentley. Again, why freaking not?

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
If I were the Eagles ...Again, why freaking not?

You're not too far from the mark on your call. I see it very similar to what you're saying ravidubey.

On a separate note ...what the heck happened with Glover? No joke, that surprised me big time.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score

Fans from probably 25 other teams likely feel the same way.

While I realize that anything can happen in the FA bidding wars, several posts here have given media accounts that it looks real good for Bentley becoming an Eagle.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
You're not too far from the mark on your call. I see it very similar to what you're saying ravidubey.

On a separate note ...what the heck happened with Glover? No joke, that surprised me big time.

An aging 4-3 guy stuck in a 3-4 world with a multi million dollar cap figure, I'm afraid. He's a perfect, perfect fit in St. Louis.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

Hey PT. Word is he didn't fit the 3-4 defensive scheme. That made him a backup and a rather expensive one. It really didn't surprise many but it sure hurts to throw away a perfectly good doughnut if you know what I mean.