Eagles Writer Offers Fair & Analytical Evaluation in the Dak vs Wentz Debate

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A good analysis, indeed. Accuracy is still my biggest complaint, and throwing receivers open. Footwork has improved, but i'm still not seeing it translate. Bugs me beyond belief.

Its all in your head. Unless you watch Mahomes and then compare Dak to him. In that case, they all have accuracy issues.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Comparing the two without considering durability and the fact Philly gave up four premium picks isn't the right metrics IMO.

I don't think there is any question who is the better pure passer. I think Wentz has the better overall arm talent. I also like his leadership. HIs problem is health. Always getting hurt. The two are very similar overall, but NO ONE takes Wentz over Dak. NO ONE. And certainly NOT any HC. For the simple fact that he cant stay healthy. Simply not worth the risk for so little a difference in the two QB's.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hes talking about AFTER they were hit by the injury bug.

Lane Johnson
Desean Jackson
Alshon Jeffrey
Jordan Howard
Jason Peters
Darren Sproles
Zach Ertz
Nelson Agholor

All missed time. When our offense suffers injuries, we lose to the Jets

Yep...……...and the Eagles lost to the Dophins, who were worse than the Jets.

Zman5

Reaction score
Had Wince played for us under JG , he probably would be out of the league right now from multiple injuries. He might have retired after playing ATL in 2017.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He omits 2016 entirely, to keep the comparisons closer, I assume.
After 2016 all Eagles fans were crying actual tears about how Dallas had the better QB and they had paid a fortune to move up for Wentz and now they had to face Dak/Zeke twice yearly.

Reality is Wentz had the best run of the 2 in his soph year. A tweaked and loaded team he took them to insane highs but was injured. That team was so good it went on to win the SB without him playing a snap of playoff football.
Since then the Eagles have struggled to hold on to all their talent and mostly been bailing water.
Wentz has started every other season but 2017 5-6. Th3e collection of coaching and high-priced vets have fought tooth and nail every year but it's getting tougher and they navigated the cap and draft capital rather carelessly to go for it all in 2017.
He has been injured and rough playing into game shape at times.
Last year he was impressive down the stretch but it HELPED that his best weapons were the group of TE/RB.
The throws were shorter and easier to make.

My take has always been Wentz has a higher ceiling. He has an elite combo of skills and size and athleticism.
But his floor is much higher and his availability is always in question, especially when it matters.
He has PLAINLY been frail.
His injury history is at every level of the game.
There is zero way Wentz in college plays Bama and survives much less beats them.
That's why Dak is simply better.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
what can wentz do when he doesn't have an elite receiver or has to throw within 3 seconds? wait, we know, he gets hit, he breaks, he is on the sideline.

He beat the cowboys in a win or go home game to make the playoffs without a good receiver and Ertz got hurt early and their RB is maybe average. Not saying either is worth 35+ million but lets not act like Dak isn't getting any help out there.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cowboys>eagles
5>1
Dak>wentz

ipso-fatso....solved.
:starspin:'Merica's Team:starspin:

Not saying I agree with the writer, but that's a very poor way to compare quarterbacks.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He beat the cowboys in a win or go home game to make the playoffs without a good receiver and Ertz got hurt early and their RB is maybe average. Not saying either is worth 35+ million but lets not act like Dak isn't getting any help out there.
Dak did the same in 2018 in a few crucial games to get us to the playoffs...beat the saints...beat the eagles twice and take the division and bring the team back from brink of disaster with Linehan as his OC....who was being mocked by every announcer on TV...

and wish Dak had Doug Pederson as his head coach.....instead of mess of a coaching group like the cowboys....that game plan against the eagles was classic garrett, he was obviously desparate and abandoned Moore's scheme and used his old scheme, plays try to win that game and we walked right into the Eagles hands......

and Dak got some help in cooper...and he helped make Gallup, lets not make Gallup into this talent that jumped at the NFL, he was a 3rd round pick....Dak had as much to help make him what he became as anybody else...but people want to dismiss that.....cooper was injured in the second half of the year..and witten was a handicap on this team last year...how many posts/threads on trying to just outright cut him...….

and as I have always argued, all QBs need to have talent around them to succeed, none of them, none of them, none of them can make a walk on look like an all pro...but give them talent and see what they can do. Dak was given some talent, provided with better OC, and we produced the #1 offense in the league.....

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm actually quite impressed by this Eagles fan's fair analysis. I think he's outlined all of both of their strengths. The one thing he missed is durability. For that Dak completely trounces Wentz. On the other hand, the one thing Wentz has that I wish had is the ability to make those amazingly tight-window throws. He's one of the best at that I've ever seen. While it's probably possible for Dak to improve there, I don't think he'll ever equal Wentz there.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak did the same in 2018 in a few crucial games to get us to the playoffs...beat the saints...beat the eagles twice and take the division and bring the team back from brink of disaster with Linehan as his OC....who was being mocked by every announcer on TV...

and wish Dak had Doug Pederson as his head coach.....instead of mess of a coaching group like the cowboys....that game plan against the eagles was classic garrett, he was obviously desparate and abandoned Moore's scheme and used his old scheme, plays try to win that game and we walked right into the Eagles hands......

and Dak got some help in cooper...and he helped make Gallup, lets not make Gallup into this talent that jumped at the NFL, he was a 3rd round pick....Dak had as much to help make him what he became as anybody else...but people want to dismiss that.....cooper was injured in the second half of the year..and witten was a handicap on this team last year...how many posts/threads on trying to just outright cut him...….

and as I have always argued, all QBs need to have talent around them to succeed, none of them, none of them, none of them can make a walk on look like an all pro...but give them talent and see what they can do. Dak was given some talent, provided with better OC, and we produced the #1 offense in the league.....

lol brink of disaster.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Always enjoy people who take issue with an article without taking the time to actually read. It.

Some people wear their ignorance like a badge of honor.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I will say what Wentz did last season was impressive.

He literally had no weapons and still got the team to the playoffs.

But his durability is a huge red flag.
I would say that the Cowboys had as much if not more to do with the Wentz getting into the post season. The Cowboys simply dropped the ball in 2019.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t like Wentz and I hate the Eagles but he did more with a depleted team than we did. We should do better with better coaching. But who knows.
Barely more, but yeah, he and the Eagles did make the playoffs. And keep in mind that every year isn't the same, and one year doesn't define players or teams. The Cowboys were better in 2018, the Eagles in 2017, the Cowboys in 2016. Ultimately I think things have been fairly equal except for the fact Wentz has missed too many games with injuries.