Twitter: Earl Thomas officially holds out of camp for contract ext

Whyjerry

Reaction score
JPP was traded for a third and a swap of 4ths (a six spot drop down - valued as a late 6th). He hasn't made the pro bowl since 2012 (2 times total, one time app pro). Also, he has 1.5 hands.

ET is a few months younger. A 6 time probowler with 5 all pro honors (3 first, 2 second team). He has two hands.

Please tell me how we are gonna get Thomas for a 3rd again.

Are we comparing DEs to S? Tell me you are not equating the two.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What was he holding out for if he did not feel entitled to more money?

And again, you started out saying that being under contract meant one had no right to hold out. Is Martin under contract or not?

You keep dodging these questions that speak to your hypocrisy.

You're such a ninny.

Go luck up entitlement. That's the word you don't seem to understand.

One often has the power to decline to fulfill terms of a contract. Sometimes the penalties for a specific type of failure to perform are specified in the contract. One has signed away the right to hold out, under an obligation to pay penalties if you do. You can parse that all you like, but that's a common way to speak of contractual obligations.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You're such a ninny.

Go luck up entitlement. That's the word you don't seem to understand.

One often has the power to decline to fulfill terms of a contract. Sometimes the penalties for a specific type of failure to perform are specified in the contract. One has signed away the right to hold out, under an obligation to pay penalties if you do. You can parse that all you like, but that's a common way to speak of contractual obligations.

So says the one that dodges questions.

Why was Martin holding out? Could it be because he felt he deserved a better deal than the one the Cowboys had been offering? How is that different than ET? Oh, and if I am using a word incorrectly it helps to point out how rather than make the claim and wave your hands. You don't get presumption, chachi.

And I was the one that pointed out to you that no rights were relinquished and there were only financial penalties. Rather than admit you were wrong you blithely parrot it back? Spare me.

And you don't get to dictate common. The bottom line is it is factually wrong. No rights are relinquished.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Earl is ancient for a DB and has battled injuries two years running.

He's already made plenty of money to retire.

Gee. 2nd team all pro in 2017. Really slipping.

"Battled" injuries? He got his leg broken by a teammate. Yeah. That's the sort of stuff that screams decline.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Are we comparing DEs to S? Tell me you are not equating the two.

Are we comparing players who have two entire hands and many years more top performances to one's with fewer hands and fewer honors?

Tell me you are not equating the two.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So says the one that dodges questions.

Why was Martin holding out? Could it be because he felt he deserved a better deal than the one the Cowboys had been offering? How is that different than ET? Oh, and if I am using a word incorrectly it helps to point out how rather than make the claim and wave your hands. You don't get presumption, chachi.

And I was the one that pointed out to you that no rights were relinquished and there were only financial penalties. Rather than admit you were wrong you blithely parrot it back? Spare me.

And you don't get to dictate common. The bottom line is it is factually wrong. No rights are relinquished.

I see you still haven't looked up entitled.

Spin all you like. Enjoy your delusions.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I see you still haven't looked up entitled.

Spin all you like. Enjoy your delusions.

I see you like making **** up. In what way do I not know what it means? What way did I use it wrong? What did I not understand?

All you can do is make the claim with no point or proof.

Now why was Martin holding out? Could it be that he thought he was entitled to more money than the Cowboys were offering?

And btw the only thing that ET said he was entitled to was a quick resolution given his contributions ie an answer as opposed to the limbo the Seachickens had left him in.

Have fun making up fantasies about my vocabulary to ignore the argument right in your face.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
All you can do is make the claim with no point or proof.
Trouble is you can't follow an argument well enough to be interesting enough to play with. I'm not here to draw diagram after diagram for kindergarteners, or rehabilitate the delusional. And certainly not if they're simply annoying and hostile.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
To get the conversation back on track, I don't think Jerry will pursue Thomas because he wants to be the highest paid defensive back. Steven has gotten Jerry away from paying huge contracts to FA's and so far it's paying off. I don't think Steven, even though the article said he's possibly keeping the door open for a defensive back, will want to pay as much as Thomas wants. I wouldn't anyhow.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Career Stats for Thomas:

Games played -

*(2016 he had a broken leg)

2017 Seattle Seahawks 14
2016 Seattle Seahawks 11
2015 Seattle Seahawks 16
2014 Seattle Seahawks 16
2013 Seattle Seahawks 16
2012 Seattle Seahawks 16
2011 Seattle Seahawks 16
2010 Seattle Seahawks 16

In eight seasons played, he has 25 interceptions...

2017 2 interceptions
2016 2 interceptions
2015 5 interceptions
2014 1 interceptions
2013 5 interceptions
2012 3 interceptions
2011 2 interceptions
2010 5 Interceptions

www.nfl.com/player/earlthomas/2508080/careerstats
ET Tackles
Tackles Sacks Interceptions Fumb Misc KO Ret Punt Ret
Year Team G Solo Ast Total
2010 SEA 16 64 11 75
2011 SEA 16 69 29 98
2012 SEA 16 42 24 66
2013 SEA 16 78 27 105
2014 SEA 16 71 26 97
2015 SEA 16 45 19 64
2016 SEA 11 24 24 48
2017 SEA 14 56 32 88

Career 641 TT First 8 seasons

Darren Woodson

Games played

2003 16
2002 10
2001 16
2000 11
1999 15
1998 16
1997 14
1996 16
1995 16
1994 16
1993 16
1992 16

Interceptions

2003 1
2002 1
2001 3
2000 2
1999 2
1998 1
1997 1
1996 5
1995 2
1994 5
1993 0
1992 0

Woody Tackles
Unavailable

http://www.nfl.com/player/darrenwoodson/2503798/careerstats

I added ETs tackles and as you know tackles were not a recorded stat prior to 2001. You are passionate about ET for sure. I will say his "stats" measure up to Woody's but does his heart, leadership, and team first mentality? I would say know to the latter. The guy wanted to retire two seasons ago until his current contract was redone, he wants more money even though he clearly is declining, and he wants out from his current team that stinks. Their games played their first 7 seasons is almost identical and if you look at Woody's entire stats starting in 01 their stats are similar as well. The one thing that separates Woody from ET is Woody excelled at both the pass and vs the run. While ET has some nice tackle numbers most those are in the slot and down the field. So I will leave this debate with this as it is time for me to get my site ready for FF season. He's good would he bring value to the team...of course...but for how long and at what cost? Do you really think this team is a Haley/Sanders away from a SB? Would you rather see ETs money going to Lawrence or Martin? For me bringing him in is not for a draft pick, no more than 2 mill guaranteed, and he is willing to step aside if a younger player on the roster brings more to the table at this point. Good information and thanks for the stats.

erod

Reaction score
JPP was traded for a third and a swap of 4ths (a six spot drop down - valued as a late 6th). He hasn't made the pro bowl since 2012 (2 times total, one time app pro). Also, he has 1.5 hands.

ET is a few months younger. A 6 time probowler with 5 all pro honors (3 first, 2 second team). He has two hands.

Please tell me how we are gonna get Thomas for a 3rd again.
Seattle offered Thomas for a 3rd this year. That was confirmed. The Cowboys said no.

kskboys

Reaction score
Gee. 2nd team all pro in 2017. Really slipping.

"Battled" injuries? He got his leg broken by a teammate. Yeah. That's the sort of stuff that screams decline.
You don't know that a player can battle injuries and still make all pro? Wow.

I suppose you also aren't aware that DB's often decline rapidly around the age of 30, and small injuries to the right areas can render them almost ineffective? And it appears that you also aren't even aware that Earl missed 2 games last year w/ injuries?

Hey, no one knows. That is true. Earl may play another 5 years injury free, or he may be injury riddled from now on. However, it's generally foolish to give older DB's large contracts. I'd love to have him myself. For round 5 mil/season, sure, I'd gladly take him. But, it would be foolish to start giving up 1st/2nd round picks for older players who want maxed out contracts.

kskboys

Reaction score
Sure he did, but teams can cut players before that same contract is up, right?

When did he do that?
When he signed the contract.

Of course, and the amount agreed upon to be guaranteed still has to be paid.

What is so confusing about what is agreed upon in a contract?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When he signed the contract.

Of course, and the amount agreed upon to be guaranteed still has to be paid.

What is so confusing about what is agreed upon in a contract?

There's nothing "confusing" about it at all. But I'm not hypocritical enough to hold players accountable to a contract that teams often don't honor either.

By your standards, how many times have the Seahawks cut a player before their contract was up and "failed to keep their word"?

erod

Reaction score
Dallas has some promising young talent, but they're not ready to be a great defense yet. They NEED a guy like Thomas to go along with Lee. They need direction on the field, not just in the meetings.

Earl Thomas is a 2-3 game difference type of player in THIS specific situation.

When Sean Lee isn't on the field, the entire defense goes to hell immediately. Nobody knows what to do or where to line up. He handles everything up front. Thomas does the same thing with a secondary.

Dallas needs to make this happen. This is a 7-9 team right now that desperately needs a quarterback on both sides of the ball to step up. Earl Thomas can provide that in the secondary.

That said, Seattle has to be reasonable. Perhaps a 3rd that could become a 2nd with certain incentives. And of course, the Cowboys have to reach a deal with Thomas, too.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You don't know that a player can battle injuries and still make all pro? Wow.

I suppose you also aren't aware that DB's often decline rapidly around the age of 30, and small injuries to the right areas can render them almost ineffective? And it appears that you also aren't even aware that Earl missed 2 games last year w/ injuries?

Hey, no one knows. That is true. Earl may play another 5 years injury free, or he may be injury riddled from now on. However, it's generally foolish to give older DB's large contracts. I'd love to have him myself. For round 5 mil/season, sure, I'd gladly take him. But, it would be foolish to start giving up 1st/2nd round picks for older players who want maxed out contracts.

Corners are more likely to decline than safeties. Some CBs even more to S later in their careers because of that.

Your injury argument remains ridiculous. Getting your leg broken by a teammate predicts nothing injury-wise. He missed two games last year with a hamstring. Pete Carroll was clear that Thomas missed the second game because it was a TH game and the staff wouldn't clear him unless he was able to practice for a couple of days (which was impossible given the TH game).