Twitter: Earl Thomas officially holds out of camp for contract ext

davidariust24

Reaction score
That's the part that causes him to bury his head in the sand rather than have a fair minded discussion. He may well be right that ET will stay and play in Seattle in 2018, and I have no problem with that viewpoint - it's probably the most likely scenario. But despite JoeKing's indication otherwise, the fact that ET can walk in a year without Seattle getting anything in return is a reasonable foundation for believing a trade is possible. Joe King acts like ET being under contract somehow prohibits the idea of a trade, which is laughable considering every trade involves players under contract.[/QUOTE
And a compensatory pick is the same as an early fourth round pick. If I know I can get a second round pick instead of a compensatory pick which would you do? After trying camp it's really too late because ET would have to learn all the different terminologies. We run a similar defense so maybe the second preseason game and it's too late for ANY team. So if they want to get a real benefit of a trade they need to hurry because it's obvious they don't want to pay him what he wants and that's to be the highest paid safety. We would and he wants to come here

davidariust24

Reaction score
This is what I read from 247 sports so take it how you will lol

“The options aren't known but both sides willingness to go through 2018 together without a new contract means those options exist at the very least.”
We have the money to make him the highest paid safety. Tyrone Crawford's money comes off the books in two seasons so we will have enough money for everyone we need to sign in addition to the space we will have next season. We will get the deal done by making Hime the highest paid safety at about 14 million. We have that. The number of years is the problem. Thats easy to get around by giving him a large sum of guaranteed money. All players love that.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
We have the money to make him the highest paid safety. Tyrone Crawford's money comes off the books in two seasons so we will have enough money for everyone we need to sign in addition to the space we will have next season. We will get the deal done by making Hime the highest paid safety at about 14 million. We have that. The number of years is the problem. Thats easy to get around by giving him a large sum of guaranteed money. All players love that.
Very true

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm sorry my friend but if they were going to offer him not more than enough in our minds but what he wants which is to be the highest paid safety they would have done it by now. If his behavior is all that bad to not want to keep an elite player then you probably don't want him. A third Rd compensatory pick is the same as a fourth round pick. Thats chump change for an elite player least lone a safety. Elite safeties are harder to find than elite qbs. If you could collect a compensatory pick vs a second round pick what would you do? Theyd receive a ton of questions for a dumb decision like that
We have both clearly expressed our opinions on what we think is going on. We'll find out in the next few months who is right. We just disagree and I'm cool with that. You can still call me "friend". :)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And a compensatory pick is the same as an early fourth round pick. If I know I can get a second round pick instead of a compensatory pick which would you do? After trying camp it's really too late because ET would have to learn all the different terminologies. We run a similar defense so maybe the second preseason game and it's too late for ANY team. So if they want to get a real benefit of a trade they need to hurry because it's obvious they don't want to pay him what he wants and that's to be the highest paid safety. We would and he wants to come here

Are you sure there would even be a compensatory pick? I thought ET was going to be an unrestricted free agent after this season.

In any case, I really don't think a trade will happen, and likely ET will stay in Seattle, but I don't think that's set in stone. If someone offered Seattle a 2nd rounder next year my bet is they would take it. The difficulty though may be that a likely requirement would be a sign and trade deal so the buyer would have ET under contract for more than this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you sure there would even be a compensatory pick? I thought ET was going to be an unrestricted free agent after this season.

In any case, I really don't think a trade will happen, and likely ET will stay in Seattle, but I don't think that's set in stone. If someone offered Seattle a 2nd rounder next year my bet is they would take it. The difficulty though may be that a likely requirement would be a sign and trade deal so the buyer would have ET under contract for more than this year.

That's where compensatory picks come from. When teams lose their own unrestricted free agents. Just like how the Cowboys got comp picks when unrestricted free agents like Church, Carr, and Claiborne signing elsewhere got them comp picks this year.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Don't want him at double digit millions per year..........................The Jones Boys strangled the team's ability to sign anyone of significance for years because of the mind-boggling contracts they handed out ; does anyone want that era to return ?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
That's where compensatory picks come from. When teams lose their own unrestricted free agents. Just like how the Cowboys got comp picks when unrestricted free agents like Church, Carr, and Claiborne signing elsewhere got them comp picks this year.
That's why it will likely take a second round pick to get Seattle to move him. With the contract he could potentially sign on the FA market, they probably feel confident they could get a third round compensatory pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's why it will likely take a second round pick to get Seattle to move him. With the contract he could potentially sign on the FA market, they probably feel confident they could get a third round compensatory pick.

I think a third round comp pick is a virtual certainty, but even that will be at the very end of round three. And that essentially makes it a fourth rounder, so I think that an actual third round pick might still get it done. But there's no way of knowing for sure.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I think a third round comp pick is a virtual certainty, but even that will be at the very end of round three. And that essentially makes it a fourth rounder, so I think that an actual third round pick might still get it done. But there's no way of knowing for sure.
Maybe. I hope so, as I've stated before I'd take that chance. Don't know that Jones will.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I thought that was with restricted free agents - the compensatory pick being the restriction. WIth unrestricted free agents I thought there was no compensation. Just like signing Fleming and Ealy didn't cost the Cowboys any compensatory picks.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

davidariust24

Reaction score

The cowboys would have to want to make him the highest paid safety at 14mill a season if they are willing to to that then they should make the trade. The reason I would do that is because safeties like him can play into their early thirties. Hes an elite safety like eric berry in KC or like polamolu was in Pittsburg and ed Reed in Baltimore. These guys know the game and their knowledge is so great it would be awesome for young guys like woods and Awuzie to be able to pick his brain. He could have that whole secondary sharp and ready just as Sean Lee has the front 7 ready. It would be huge and a second round pick would be ghost in my book for him

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

in two years as opposed to next and they also have this headache all the way through TC. i still stay firm on a 3rd at most.

HanD

Reaction score
I thought that was with restricted free agents - the compensatory pick being the restriction. WIth unrestricted free agents I thought there was no compensation. Just like signing Fleming and Ealy didn't cost the Cowboys any compensatory picks.

i think you are confusing compensatory picks. an unrestricted free agent signs with another team. the NFL, not the team signing the player, gives the team losing the player a compensatory pick based on how much he signs for.

ex: ronald leary left as an unrestricted free agent. denver doesn't send dallas a pick. Dallas gets an extra pick at the end of the 4th round based on the amount leary signed for. also keep in mind that as you sign free agents, this may impact or negate the compensatory picks you might get for losing your own free agents.

when talking about restricted free agents, the team signing the player has to give up a pick for how the restricted free agent was tendered.

ex: david irving was a restricted free agent. tendered a 2nd round pick wise for money from dallas. if someone signed him and dallas decided not to match, they would have gotten a second round pick.

restricted free agents are typically lower drafted players that are finishing up their initial nfl contracts. earl thomas not only was a high pick but will be an unrestricted free agent because he is an nfl vet.

garyv

Reaction score
I'm sorry my friend but if they were going to offer him not more than enough in our minds but what he wants which is to be the highest paid safety they would have done it by now. If his behavior is all that bad to not want to keep an elite player then you probably don't want him. A third Rd compensatory pick is the same as a fourth round pick. Thats chump change for an elite player least lone a safety. Elite safeties are harder to find than elite qbs. If you could collect a compensatory pick vs a second round pick what would you do? Theyd receive a ton of questions for a dumb decision like that

I agree with you but my point is this why not go ahead and give up a 2nd for the Best Safety in the NFL or at least top 3.
The thing is I expect us to be much stronger this year so 10-6 or 11-5 not out of the question which is a lower 2nd Rounder.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Makes too much sense to me. I think he will improve this D backfield a bunch.

reddyuta

Reaction score
With Kam chancellor about to retire it is beyond dumb for the Seahawks to hang onto Earl for 1 more season when they have no intention of giving him a big contract,the cowboys will gladly give them a 4th Rd er Today if they choose to deal him.