Twitter: Earl Thomas officially holds out of camp for contract ext

davidariust24

Reaction score
I hope Jerry is paying attention...

If we got Earl Thomas even in this team full of youth. I feel like NFC championship is the least we should reach. I'm not saying win but reach. With his experience, and knowledge that he could teach these young guys and he could keep them focused and let them know what to look for on the field. That is invaluable. If I'm the cowboys I'm trading next year's second round pick for him. The knowledge he would pass to Heath and woods is halfway worth it. He would help the corners too. We would have a pro bowl DE on the D line, next a pro bowl LB in the next level lastly the secondary would have a pro bowler. We'd have elite at each level of the defense and potential elites beside them why wouldn't I trade that second round pick.? Let's say he didn't return next year. The knowledge he would have passed to the younger players would be priceless. Theyd see how he prepares thinks and be able to ask him questions. If we got thomas to help lead this defense with Sean Lee this team is eye to eye with the eagles in my eyes. They have a lotbof proven vets we have a lot of young hungry guys with the potential to be just as good if not better than their eagle counter parts in every position if David Irving comes back ready to go and with his head on straight. Taco will be better and if Gregory can get reacclimated by mid season that game with the cowboys and eagles could be huge and be a huge test of who is the division king. People can sit and doubt these receivers but Hurns Beasley and Gallup can get open. Jarwin will get open I'm willing to bet on it. I wonder if anyone remembers two seasons ago when dez was out for the first three games I think. We had Butler and t-will. Dak was hitting the targets no problem. Who was the number one receiver then. We won all of those games without dez with the predicable run game. The same predictable run game we've had since demarco Murray. That we still seem to churn out 100 yard runners even when the box is stacked. I'm ready for the season to start.

davidariust24

Reaction score
If we got Earl Thomas even in this team full of youth. I feel like NFC championship is the least we should reach. I'm not saying win but reach. With his experience, and knowledge that he could teach these young guys and he could keep them focused and let them know what to look for on the field. That is invaluable. If I'm the cowboys I'm trading next year's second round pick for him. The knowledge he would pass to Heath and woods is halfway worth it. He would help the corners too. We would have a pro bowl DE on the D line, next a pro bowl LB in the next level lastly the secondary would have a pro bowler. We'd have elite at each level of the defense and potential elites beside them why wouldn't I trade that second round pick.? Let's say he didn't return next year. The knowledge he would have passed to the younger players would be priceless. Theyd see how he prepares thinks and be able to ask him questions. If we got thomas to help lead this defense with Sean Lee this team is eye to eye with the eagles in my eyes. They have a lotbof proven vets we have a lot of young hungry guys with the potential to be just as good if not better than their eagle counter parts in every position if David Irving comes back ready to go and with his head on straight. Taco will be better and if Gregory can get reacclimated by mid season that game with the cowboys and eagles could be huge and be a huge test of who is the division king. People can sit and doubt these receivers but Hurns Beasley and Gallup can get open. Jarwin will get open I'm willing to bet on it. I wonder if anyone remembers two seasons ago when dez was out for the first three games I think. We had Butler and t-will. Dak was hitting the targets no problem. Who was the number one receiver then. We won all of those games without dez with the predicable run game. The same predictable run game we've had since demarco Murray. That we still seem to churn out 100 yard runners even when the box is stacked. I'm ready for the season to start.
We need to trade that second round pick in my opinion and sign Thomas to three year deal that includes this season so that when it's time to pay Zeke. We have the money

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's not like ET is a free agent, he's under contract with Seattle for another season. Until that changes, Dallas can do nothing but wait or risk tampering charges. It will become cost prohibitive for ET to continue this hold out for very long. There is no "come and get me" that ET talked to Garrett about. I think the most likey scenario is he will be forced to play his final contractual season in Seattle without an extension. Then Dallas can oblige ET in 2019 with the request he made to Garrett in 2017. The real question is, will Garrett still be around in 2019?

garyv

Reaction score
We need to trade that second round pick in my opinion and sign Thomas to three year deal that includes this season so that when it's time to pay Zeke. We have the money

I agree give them a 2nd Rounder which in my view will be a lower 2nd Rounder than sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal and
let him become the starting Safety.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Earl Thomas is kinda like Kawi Leanord with the Spurs. Both players have expressed a desire to play with another team, both players have one year left on their contracts, and both organizations (Seattle and the Spurs) don't want to look like they got punked and got forced into making a trade.

End result is both players probably play out the last year of their contracts and then walk in free agency next year.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Earl Thomas is kinda like Kawi Leanord with the Spurs. Both players have expressed a desire to play with another team, both players have one year left on their contracts, and both organizations (Seattle and the Spurs) don't want to look like they got punked and got forced into making a trade.

End result is both players probably play out the last year of their contracts and then walk in free agency next year.
I like the comparison. Your guess for how these two situations pan out is pretty good.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
If you are Seattle do you pay Thomas even though you got rid of everyone else just about? Sure there is a mentoring aspect but even the secondary coach is no longer there. How long will Pete Carroll stay?

davidariust24

Reaction score
It's not like ET is a free agent, he's under contract with Seattle for another season. Until that changes, Dallas can do nothing but wait or risk tampering charges. It will become cost prohibitive for ET to continue this hold out for very long. There is no "come and get me" that ET talked to Garrett about. I think the most likey scenario is he will be forced to play his final contractual season in Seattle without an extension. Then Dallas can oblige ET in 2019 with the request he made to Garrett in 2017. The real question is, will Garrett still be around in 2019?
You're exactly right but why not get something in return instead of just letting him walk to another team on top of that give him a chance to beat you all for free?

kskboys

Reaction score
If you are Seattle do you pay Thomas even though you got rid of everyone else just about? Sure there is a mentoring aspect but even the secondary coach is no longer there. How long will Pete Carroll stay?
Is there a team option to opt out of the contract?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're exactly right but why not get something in return instead of just letting him walk to another team on top of that give him a chance to beat you all for free?

That's the part that causes him to bury his head in the sand rather than have a fair minded discussion. He may well be right that ET will stay and play in Seattle in 2018, and I have no problem with that viewpoint - it's probably the most likely scenario. But despite JoeKing's indication otherwise, the fact that ET can walk in a year without Seattle getting anything in return is a reasonable foundation for believing a trade is possible. Joe King acts like ET being under contract somehow prohibits the idea of a trade, which is laughable considering every trade involves players under contract.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Is there a team option to opt out of the contract?
This is what I read from 247 sports so take it how you will lol

“The options aren't known but both sides willingness to go through 2018 together without a new contract means those options exist at the very least.”

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You are making assumptions that you ought to rethink. Who is saying Seattle is going to just let ET walk? Not Seattle. I think Seattle will eventually offer him more than enough to keep him there. My guess is they just don't want to rewatd his current bad behavior. If they did get out bid and had to let him walk, they would still get a third round compensation pick... so it's not like they are getting nothing.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've gone back and forth on the idea of trading (presumably) a second round pick and paying him a large amount to play for the Cowboys for 3 years. Ultimately, I've decided it will be a good idea to have a QB back there to help our young defensive backfield. I feel he will be worth the money to help the DB's gel into a very good unit.

CWR

Reaction score
ETs coming baby! Whoot whoot! Lets do this! Get er dun Jerrah.

davidariust24

Reaction score
You are making assumptions that you ought to rethink. Who is saying Seattle is going to just let ET walk? Not Seattle. I think Seattle will eventually offer him more than enough to keep him there. My guess is they just don't want to rewatd his current bad behavior. If they did get out bid and had to let him walk, they would still get a third round compensation pick... so it's not like they are getting nothing.
I'm sorry my friend but if they were going to offer him not more than enough in our minds but what he wants which is to be the highest paid safety they would have done it by now. If his behavior is all that bad to not want to keep an elite player then you probably don't want him. A third Rd compensatory pick is the same as a fourth round pick. Thats chump change for an elite player least lone a safety. Elite safeties are harder to find than elite qbs. If you could collect a compensatory pick vs a second round pick what would you do? Theyd receive a ton of questions for a dumb decision like that