Earl Thomas Opinion

Jipper

Reaction score
I agree that he saw the writing on the wall about changes coming.

But he's also been angling for a new deal for himself for a while too.

That's the part of the equation that gives me the most reservations.

If he's simply angling for the most money? Stay in Seattle.

might need a fresh start...and hes a dallas fan...so

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
might need a fresh start...and hes a dallas fan...so

Hey, like I've said, if that's the case, welcome home Earl, but if he's simply angling for someone to pay him more money than he's making? No thanks Earl.

It's a big enough investment if resources to give up a significant draft pick. It's quite another to turn around and pay huge money on top of it.

I don't remember the last time that such a deal worked out for the Cowboys. Instead, I'm reminded of trading two first rounders and paying Joey Galloway and having that blow up in their faces. Or trading 1st, 4th, and 6th round picks for Roy Williams and immediately paying him big bucks and never getting the return on investment.

In fact, I don't remember the last time trading a high draft pick and paying big money on top of it worked out for anybody.

erod

Reaction score
We would still be getting fleeced! This is so stupid, its like Dallas is begging for Thomas and Seattle is holding all the cards. Dallas should offer a 5th round pick and thats it! We couldnt get anything for Dez so why should Seattle get anything for Thomas!
Thomas is the best free safety in pro football. Dez is about 30th.

erod

Reaction score
If Vea is there at #19, yes DT.

That would be AWESOME, but he'll be long gone by then.

However, there are growing rumors that Dallas is planning to trade up up in the first round. Jerry's talking a lot about a big "splash".

Of course, that could involve Earl Thomas.

DiResta

Reaction score
If we give up more than a 4th round comp pick we are insane. You can't give up draft capital and a huge contract for him. It would be idiotic.
nobody knows what the FO really thinks right now with Vegas Jerry taking the consigliere role and penny pinching Stephen taking the reins
people are conditioned to Jerry making a splash when the future might be very quiet from here on

Verdict

Reaction score
That would be AWESOME, but he'll be long gone by then.

However, there are growing rumors that Dallas is planning to trade up up in the first round. Jerry's talking a lot about a big "splash".

Of course, that could involve Earl Thomas.

Where did Jerry say he was looking to make a big splash.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Hey, like I've said, if that's the case, welcome home Earl, but if he's simply angling for someone to pay him more money than he's making? No thanks Earl.

It's a big enough investment if resources to give up a significant draft pick. It's quite another to turn around and pay huge money on top of it.

I don't remember the last time that such a deal worked out for the Cowboys. Instead, I'm reminded of trading two first rounders and paying Joey Galloway and having that blow up in their faces. Or trading 1st, 4th, and 6th round picks for Roy Williams and immediately paying him big bucks and never getting the return on investment.

In fact, I don't remember the last time trading a high draft pick and paying big money on top of it worked out for anybody.

I agree....................I wouldn't offer anything more than a 4th rounder , and actually probably a 5th and a player............................If Seattle says "No" , let them find a buyer willing to pay more elsewhere...........................

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Wouldn't give up the 3rd round pick for him.

He wants to get paid, and is going into his 9th season. Already has a ring. You think he'll still have that fire playing here after getting his last big deal? He'll go from Kam, Sherman to Heath-Chido-Lewis.

I think he's a very good safety but he's been blessed playing with a dominate front four, good LBs and a secondary that was allowed to hold on every play.

Heath is not starting you can trust that. More like going to Lewis, chido, woods or a draft pick like darwin James.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Thomas the last couple years has been a mediocre player along with some injuries. I just wouldnt invest too heavily into a guy that has been in the league 8 years.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Thomas is helping us out by not showing for the off season stuff. I wouldn't trade for him until the draft and then at the end of the third round I would offer our 4th and a 6th with Cole Beasley and James Hanna for Thomas and might maybe offer a conditional 3rd in 2019 if he has 8 interceptions or more. Seems fair especially knowing what type of contract he is trying to get.

erod

Reaction score
Thomas the last couple years has been a mediocre player along with some injuries. I just wouldnt invest too heavily into a guy that has been in the league 8 years.

He's missed 7 games in 8 years. He's not mediocre. Not by any definition.

phildadon86

Reaction score
He's missed 7 games in 8 years. He's not mediocre. Not by any definition.
I am amazed at how many people would rather say he isn't any good any more just to suit their opinion they don't want to give up draft picks for him. Its not hard to admit hes the best and still say you don't want to trade for him. He would automatically be our best defensive player next to Dlaw and Lee. I had someone try telling me that QBs aren't afraid to throw his way.....

erod

Reaction score
I am amazed at how many people would rather say he isn't any good any more just to suit their opinion they don't want to give up draft picks for him. Its not hard to admit hes the best and still say you don't want to trade for him. He would automatically be our best defensive player next to Dlaw and Lee. I had someone try telling me that QBs aren't afraid to throw his way.....
I am COMPLETELY against signing OLDER players to BIG contracts. I think it's a stupid way to run a team. It's the old Jerry way.

But Earl Thomas is different. He's exceptional. He's the elite of the elite. And he's accomplished.

Elite, accomplished players don't lay down when they get a big contract. It's not in their DNA.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Is Thomas going to be the "best free safety in football" from this day forward? Doubtful. What he's been in the past is irrelevant to making an investment in him in 2018.