Earl Thomas will be a Cowboy by Mid August- Book it

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas wasn't forced to make a decision on Dez, he was under contract, they just cut him....Seattle is NOT forced to make any decision, Thomas is under contract for another year, he can whine and complain all he wants about being traded which is nothing but a scheme to get a new long term contract, when the season starts Thomas will be playing for Seattle under his final year of his contract...if he walks after the year, Seattle gets a high compensatory pick,....if I'm spending high drafts picks on a player in a trade to help this defense, I'll go with Donald over a safety....

Dez was not in the same situation. Dez wasn't going to be an unrestricted free agent after the 2018 season, plus the Cowboys were unwilling to continue to pay his salary for the 2018 season.

The fact that Thomas is under contract for 2018 doesn't mean Seattle isn't forced to make a decision about what happens after the season ends. Teams don't and can't wait until it's too late to do anything about it to make a decision, and then stupidly wonder how in the world it happened that the player is gone and they didn't get the chance to re-sign or trade him. They are well aware that they have to make that decision in advance. Circumstances force decisions to be made. Again, that decision may end up being to stick to their guns, let the season play out and let him walk, but that's still a decision they had to make.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Dez was not in the same situation. Dez wasn't going to be an unrestricted free agent after the 2018 season, plus the Cowboys were unwilling to continue to pay his salary for the 2018 season.

The fact that Thomas is under contract for 2018 doesn't mean Seattle isn't forced to make a decision about what happens after the season ends. Teams don't and can't wait until it's too late to do anything about it to make a decision, and then stupidly wonder how in the world it happened that the player is gone and they didn't get the chance to re-sign or trade him. They are well aware that they have to make that decision in advance. Circumstances force decisions to be made. Again, that decision may end up being to stick to their guns, let the season play out and let him walk, but that's still a decision they had to make.

What you fail to grasp, teams aren't forced to do anything as you think they are, Thomas is under contract for another year, he wants a long term deal, whether it's Seattle, dallas, or the raiders, he doesn't care, he just wants money....And no team cares about a players pouting about a contract, they can if they want sign him, or not, or sign him later in the season or the day before free agency starts next year and if they lose him to free agency, they get a compensatory pick, probably a late third round one..NOBODY IS FORCING A TEAM TO DO ANYTHING!

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
EThomas needs to get over 13m as a UFA to get a SEATTLE a late 3rd round Comp and that is if they don't sign anyone and it is still for 2020

That in today's value is a 5th or 6th........ SEA has no leverage in that part of the story.....the Comp pick is barely relevant

I would offer a 4th and/or a player that should make the team but loses a position battle on the numbers game..... someone like Kony Ealy or Rico Gathers or Bo Scar

Cowboys22

Reaction score
EThomas needs to get over 13m as a UFA to get a SEATTLE a late 3rd round Comp and that is if they don't sign anyone and it is still for 2020

That in today's value is a 5th or 6th........ SEA has no leverage in that part of the story.....the Comp pick is barely relevant

I would offer a 4th and/or a player that should make the team but loses a position battle on the numbers game..... someone like Kony Ealy or Rico Gathers or Bo Scar

I might agree with everything you typed except for one small detail you left out. That being Dallas’ extremely poor safety group and their lack of addressing it at all during the offseason. That alone gives Seattle leverage in this situation. It doesn’t give them all the leverage but it gives them enough to play the waiting game. Thomas is under contract so that also gives them leverage to wait and see if injuries during camp lead to any other interested teams.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I might agree with everything you typed except for one small detail you left out. That being Dallas’ extremely poor safety group and their lack of addressing it at all during the offseason. That alone gives Seattle leverage in this situation. It doesn’t give them all the leverage but it gives them enough to play the waiting game. Thomas is under contract so that also gives them leverage to wait and see if injuries during camp lead to any other interested teams.
We have all but ignored FS since Darren Woodson...... I don't think SEA is fooled

And I didn't say 'any' leverage......I was talking about the Comp pick....everyone keeps saying 3rd but it really is valued right now as 5th or 6th

ehwqkbmg

Reaction score

That would be amazing. A 4th for a top player at his position we are lacking in.:grin:

But couldn't the Seahawks just do what the Steelers are doing with Le'Veon Bell and franchise him for the next two seasons?

There could be other teams getting in the mix as well come closer to the start of the season.

Honestly, if it takes a 2nd, I go all in for a SB over the next couple seasons with that guy flying sideline to sideline.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That would be amazing. A 4th for a top player at his position we are lacking in.:grin:

But couldn't the Seahawks just do what the Steelers are doing with Le'Veon Bell and franchise him for the next two seasons?

There could be other teams getting in the mix as well come closer to the start of the season.

Honestly, if it takes a 2nd, I go all in for a SB over the next couple seasons with that guy flying sideline to sideline.
They don't want him or to pay him

They are just being hard headed since he doesn't want to be there either

Vero_F250

Reaction score
Part 3: The baby elephant is ET and he has surprising leverage.

Earl is playing this like a pro. He plants a seed with the force of soldiers planting a flag at Iowa Jima, running into the Cowboys locker room to talk with Garrett: “Come Get me!” This was a hugely public gesture...no one in the league could miss it.

C’MON MAN!!!! :facepalm:

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I love the way you think OP. ET coming to Dallas, in my opinion seals at the very least a deep playoff run for this team....IF it holds together barring injuries etc...and all in SPITE of the clapping idiot HC.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
Per Calvin Watkins via twitter:

Stephen Jones said there have been no recent talks with Seattle about Earl Thomas.

T-RO

Reaction score
C’MON MAN!!!! :facepalm:

Earl Thomas and his actions demand apt language. This is a guy who got married wearing a crown then spent half the proceedings half undressed, LOL. I can’t recall any other player running into an opposing locker room and seeking out a coach like that. Might have been crazy...but it was dramatic and most certainly planted the seed for what’s happened since.

T-RO

Reaction score
What you fail to grasp, teams aren't forced to do anything as you think they are, Thomas is under contract for another year, he wants a long term deal, whether it's Seattle, dallas, or the raiders, he doesn't care, he just wants money....And no team cares about a players pouting about a contract, they can if they want sign him, or not, or sign him later in the season or the day before free agency starts next year and if they lose him to free agency, they get a compensatory pick, probably a late third round one..NOBODY IS FORCING A TEAM TO DO ANYTHING!

Seattle isn’t “forced”, but they sure aren’t in a situation that is conducive to keep the player. Their willingness to extend Chancellor back-fired big time. It’s been a legion-of-boom-has-died estate sale up there. They’ve already been shopping him.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Earl Thomas and his actions demand apt language. This is a guy who got married wearing a crown then spent half the proceedings half undressed, LOL. I can’t recall any other player running into an opposing locker room and seeking out a coach like that. Might have been crazy...but it was dramatic and most certainly planted the seed for what’s happened since.

LMAO at him wearing a crown - and the bride isn't.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not convinced Dallas has a "very poor" safety group, nor am I convinced Dallas believes that either. If Dallas was desperate to the point of Seattle having leverage, they would have caved to Seattle and Thomas' expectations already. I see no reason to believe they would suddenly do that now when they have been unwilling so far.

But you are right that Seattle can wait at least for awhile and see if camp injuries occur that will cause Dallas or another team to more aggressively try and make a deal for Thomas.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not convinced Dallas has a "very poor" safety group, nor am I convinced Dallas believes that either. If Dallas was desperate to the point of Seattle having leverage, they would have caved to Seattle and Thomas' expectations already. I see no reason to believe they would suddenly do that now when they have been unwilling so far.

But you are right that Seattle can wait at least for awhile and see if camp injuries occur that will cause Dallas or another team to more aggressively try and make a deal for Thomas.

I agree. The Cowboys obviously like the guys they have to some degree. If they didn't, they would have addressed it in free agency as well as the draft. They didn't. That says they're not panicked about it. And the fact that they've held their ground thus far on Thomas supports that too.

I applaud them for not overpaying.

T-RO

Reaction score

Yup. Neither Dallas or Seattle will rush anything and leverage will go to the party that is most patient. This might not happen until September.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I didn't say any person was forcing them to make a decision, I said circumstances were forcing a decision. And what you seem to fail to grasp is every possibility you are talking about as to how the team could deal with the situation IS A DECISION. Hence, the Seahawks are forced to make a decision. If they "decide" to open the checkbook to try for a contract extension now, or "decide" to wait and try and sign him last minute after the season, or "decide" try to trade him, or "decide" they are willing to risk him signing elsewhere and get a compensatory pick, it is still a decision. They aren't burying their heads in the sand and pretending the situation will be the same after the season as it is today - they want to steer the way things go the best they can. Accordingly, they will have to decide what their approach is, and weigh the pros and cons, and possible risks and rewards of each possible direction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.