Earl Thomas will be a Cowboy by Mid August- Book it

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh? Cowboys were perfectly willing to deal and to open their wallet. For a third. That much is established.

What we don’t know is if the Boys were planning to give Earl a long term extension.

I would not call that an established fact.

The reports during the draft about the trade seemed sketchy.

I think the Cowboys were just gaming the Seahawks.

When trades are discussed, the players current team will give permission to the other team to contact the player/agent.

It seems that the Cowboys told ET what they would pay him and then didn't really try to give Seattle a 3rd. They know ET will likely force his way out because he knows the contract he wants is waiting for him.

All the Cowboys have to do is sit back and wait. They know the Seahawks don't want to keep him this season.

T-RO

Reaction score
I would not call that an established fact.

The reports during the draft about the trade seemed sketchy.

I think the Cowboys were just gaming the Seahawks.

When trades are discussed, the players current team will give permission to the other team to contact the player/agent.

It seems that the Cowboys told ET what they would pay him and then didn't really try to give Seattle a 3rd. They know ET will likely force his way out because he knows the contract he wants is waiting for him.

All the Cowboys have to do is sit back and wait. They know the Seahawks don't want to keep him this season.

The trade rumors were widely circulated...and there were never denials from either team.

I do emphatically agree that the Boys should just go into radio silence mode and wait. They might need to wait a bit longer than my Aug 20 time-frame.

If no other trading partners emerge...the only way the Seahawks fabricate leverage is with the notion that they’ll keep the guy. That’s increasingly untenable.

T-RO

Reaction score
Seattle Times...posted a few hours ago:

“Earl Thomas has been many things for the Seahawks in his eight seasons with Seattle – a franchise icon, a defensive force, and a tone-setter for the type of intensity that Pete Carroll covets and craves.
But now, with a critical new season dawning, one in which the Seahawks’ place in the NFL power structure is more tenuous than it has been in years, Thomas is something they really, really don’t need right now.

A distraction, with a capital D.”​

Reactions: BAT

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The trade rumors were widely circulated...and there were never denials from either team.

I do emphatically agree that the Boys should just go into radio silence mode and wait. They might need to wait a bit longer than my Aug 20 time-frame.

If no other trading partners emerge...the only way the Seahawks fabricate leverage is with the notion that they’ll keep the guy. That’s increasingly untenable.

Rumors are not reality.

Often times a dozen sites report a rumor and it ends up that it originated from one source. That's the nature of "reporting" over the internet.

If Broaddus or Mickey confirmed it, then I'll believe them. It's possible they did, but I have not seen it.

T-RO

Reaction score
Rumors are not reality.

Often times a dozen sites report a rumor and it ends up that it originated from one source. That's the nature of "reporting" over the internet.

If Broaddus or Mickey confirmed it, then I'll believe them. It's possible they did, but I have not seen it.

I respect your right to be skeptical.

Here is what NFL.com reported at the draft...claiming that Dallas and Seattle had been talking a trade “for weeks” leading up to the draft and then again during the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft...en-to-potential-Earl-Thomas-trade-with-Cowboy

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They quoted Broaddus as saying they would have made the trade if Connor Williams was not available.

I only believe Broaddus in regards to reporting something that actually happened. Anything where he speculates is not worth considering. Remember how he said dozens of times that Marinelli was going to Tampa Bay that year his contract was up after the season.

Despite his many flaws, Mickey is the one that is most credible in regards to reporting things that actually happened or things like the fact that they would have drafted a specific RB/returner instead of Ryan Switzer.

On a side note, never believe anything that is connected to K.D.Drummond. He is the biggest fabricator of false information of anybody I've ever seen. He posted here years ago. His bit was always trying to claim he had inside information. At one point he claimed his source was Jerry and that Jerry tells him stuff that he does not tell anybody else. It got to absurd levels of ridiculousness and he often contradicted things he had said previously.

T-RO

Reaction score

T-RO

Reaction score
I do not want him in Dallas. Let the younger guys continue to develop like Woods.

I would be kinda OK if that’s how it turns out w/his age.

I am predicting what will happen, not necessarily my preferences.

If we were to give up substantively more than a third round pick...I’d be down on the move.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I read somewhere earlier that he would also consider playing for the Raiders. Yuck!! Don't allow that to happen Seattle/Jerry.

Usually I am meh on most trades I hear rumors about but this is one I really really want to see happen. I think it helps this team immensely and immediately.

T-RO

Reaction score
I read somewhere earlier that he would also consider playing for the Raiders. Yuck!! Don't allow that to happen Seattle/Jerry.

Usually I am meh on most trades I hear rumors about but this is one I really really want to see happen. I think it helps this team immensely and immediately.

Raiders would have to renegotiate contracts to have room. And Khalil Mack contract looms.

renny

Reaction score
If they truly are interested in ET, which it sure seems like they are, it looks like they're playing it smart. Last report I saw, the Hawks wanted a 2nd Round pick for ET. That's a hefty price. 2nd Round Pick is expected to be a 5-10 year starter for your team, hopefully closer to 10. I like ET, but Dallas would be very lucky to get 5 good years out of him.

Trade-wise, it's clear the Hawks are not in a good position here. They have little leverage with such a talented yet disgruntled player. If I were Dallas, I'd wait until they submit to a 3rd Round Pick. Hell, if things got real ugly, I'd see if I could get away with a 4th first. It might get bad enough that Hawks just want him off the books. It's not like their cap space is good, anyway.

I like ET, but I covet that 2nd Rounder. I would rather keep the 2nd and see what we get out of the young guys this year.
I agree 100 percent! At least they have the opportunity to see what Woods have, he could become a younger version of Earl Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.