Earl Thomas will be a Cowboy by Mid August- Book it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can see Prescott holding out next year. He's been way underpaid, even by rookie salary standards.

I think that this is the determining year for his deal, and I think that's the way it should be.

If he proves he's the guy we thought he was in 2016? I think the Cowboys will gladly pay him among the tops at the position, easily in the $25 million a year range.

If he shows that he's more of the guy we saw down the stretch in 2017? Holding out would do him more harm that good I think. A player coming off of consecutive bad years isn't in position to threaten anybody.

I think this is a career-defining year for Dak Prescott, and given all of the factors and the ramifications, I think that's exactly how it should be.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Thomas is only *due* 8.5 salary. 10.4 is his total cap hit.

Every week of training camp Earl misses is a decrease in his value to us. No only does he not get on board himself, but the help he could presumably give the rest of the secondary on Richard's schemes is lost.

If Seattle is desperate to reduce cap, maybe they get rid of him.

But I don't see them letting Thomas roll them. Bad for business. If they're rebuilding anyway, it's a low cost time to send a message to the rest of the players.

What is Earl gonna do? Sit, miss paychecks, and damage his free agent value? If he's all about the money, he'll be a pro, realize he doesn't have the leverage, be ready for the season, and play.

Agree 100%. Keeping him sends a valuable message to the rest of the Seahawks roster. Bringing him in to the Cowboys locker room sends a horrible message to a number of players playing for below market value salaries.

Jipper

Reaction score
Only way he comes to Dallas this year is if Seattle takes a 4th rounder or less, which they won't so he won't come like I've been saying for months

TwentyOne

Reaction score
After researching the ET situation I think it is virtually inevitable that Seattle and Dallas will work out a deal that makes Earl a Cowboy. The trade will happen between August 5 and Aug 20

In which year ?

lkelly

Reaction score
Part 3: The baby elephant is ET and he has surprising leverage.

Earl is playing this like a pro. He plants a seed with the force of soldiers planting a flag at Iowa Jima, running into the Cowboys locker room to talk with Garrett: “Come Get me!” This was a hugely public gesture...no one in the league could miss it.

Add in the mini camp and emerging training camp hold out and momentum will grow into runaway force, pulling Dallas attention back into play, and creating serious torque on the ‘Hawks front office?

“Iowa Jima?”

“Forget it. He’s rolling.”

maxresdefault.jpg

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heck, give them a second rounder. We always gamble in the second round.

Thankfully, it looks like that practice ended with Jaylon Smith in 2016.

The past two second rounders of Awuzie and Connor Williams gave been solid, safe picks.

Reactions: BAT

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I’ve said all along I think this trade will happen. All signs point to it and it just makes too much sense for both teams. The kicker for me is the lack of movement at safety from Dallas. I see no way at all the team is content with going into the season with only the 3 players they have. Their lack of action and urgency to add a player to the mix makes me think they know something we don’t. I truely believe they expect Thomas to be a Cowboy this year. I’d start with a 3rd, then go a 4th and Terrance Williams, and then go a 3rd and TW. I believe one of those offers will get it done once camp starts.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
if jerry needs something to wow the fans with he will make the trade if not then he wont

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, because they'll probably get a 3rd round comp pick for him if he walks next year.

I think that's a bit of oversimplification.

They'll get a 3rd round comp pick if several conditions are met:

• Thomas gets a huge contract on his next deal
  • Thomas has a great season for them and plays well enough and stays healthy enough to get that huge deal elsewhere
  • The Seahawks make no big free agent signings of their own which would in turn negate that comp pick (remember our own Greg Hardy signing which negated the Demarco Murray comp)
  • That 3rd round comp pick will come at the very end of the round, essentially a top of the 4th pick
  • They won't get that comp pick until 2020 where they could get the Cowboys pick for 2019
  • There is also his $8.6 million salary this year which the Seahawks could save for other needs

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it is possible a deal will be worked out however depending on the play of Woods and the other players at safety the Cowboys offer may drop if these guys show they are up to the task.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
I could live with that. Do you think Seattle will give him up for a 3rd?
No. If they would it would have been done months ago. Seattle gets a COMP 3rd rounder if the let him walk after the 2018 season. OP has lots of wishful thinking going on. If Dallas wants him, they are going to have to significantly up their offer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. If they would it would have been done months ago. Seattle gets a COMP 3rd rounder if the let him walk after the 2018 season. OP has lots of wishful thinking going on. If Dallas wants him, they are going to have to significantly up their offer.

They'll get a 3rd round comp pick if several conditions are met:

• Thomas gets a huge contract on his next deal
  • Thomas has a great season for them and plays well enough and stays healthy enough to get that huge deal elsewhere
  • The Seahawks make no big free agent signings of their own which would in turn negate that comp pick (remember our own Greg Hardy signing which negated the Demarco Murray comp)
  • That 3rd round comp pick will come at the very end of the round, essentially a top of the 4th pick
  • They won't get that comp pick until 2020 where they could get the Cowboys pick for 2019
  • There is also his $8.6 million salary this year which the Seahawks could save for other needs
I think you've also got some "wishful thinking" going on.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Part 2. Why Dallas will deal.
Dallas has the thinnest talent at safety as any spot on their roster. After years of going thrifty at safety I believe they are ready to splurge on a playmaker in centerfield. The second elephant in the room is that Dallas has already put in bids for Earl. The Cowboys offered a third round pick during the draft weekend. They too have made their intentions clear.

If you go look at the Cowboys depth chart you’ll see they are carrying fewer safeties than for any other position. There is little depth and no star power.

Dallas has $14 mil in cap space. They can afford this. Coach Richard is most certainly egging them on to get Earl...and probably doing so daily. The Cowboys have been careful and frugal and subdued in free agency for a few years now. The team is itching to make a splash.

This is one of the reasons a deal could be done, but could turn into a reason for the deal not to be done.

Dallas gets an opportunity in camp to take a long look at its safeties before August. If Woods balls out at free safety, then the need to go after Thomas diminishes although we would still have either Frazier or Heath at strong safety, which I don't consider ideal. Thomas is an All-Pro free safety, so I don't think we would want to get him to play strong safety.

Reaction score
It's a no brainer for us to trade a 3rd for him. Seattle doesn't want to give him up for a 3rd. I expect if a deal does get done, we trade them a 3rd that's conditional somehow, maybe it can become a 2nd if Earl meets certain playtime/stat thresholds.

Status
Not open for further replies.