Early Draft Thoughts

cnuball21

Reaction score
What???????????

tenor.gif

Yes, he's missed about 25% of his tackles over his career.

RS12

Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everything the op said. But I am drafting a franchise QB. It is best for the team in both the long and short term. Unfortunately they won't but that's my opinion and I am sticking with it.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I know but you still have to try.
Here's how that phone call will go..

Joe Douglas, GM Jets: "Hello."
Jerry Jones, Ruiner of Cowboy fans dreams for 25 years: " Uh, hello, this is uhhhh Jerry Jones of theeee Dallas Cowboys."
Douglas: "Hello Mr. Jones, how can I help you?"
Jones: "Well, you see, uhhhh, I was wondering, what would it take for you to uhhhh send us the #1 pick in the draft?"
Douglas: " I apologize Mr. Jones, but we aren't really considering trading away from the pick. We have our guy."
Jones: " Ummm, well now, Joe, everything has a price."
Douglas: "Okay then, sure....your first round, second, and third round picks this year, Trevon Diggs, CeeDee Lamp, and your next five years of first round picks."
Jones: " Well, uhh, let me look at the trade chart and...uhhh, I'll get back to ya....Would you possibly consider our number one and Anthony Brown?"
Stephen Jones, screaming in the background: "Hang up the phone Dad!"

Bigdog

Reaction score
Here's how that phone call will go..

Joe Douglas, GM Jets: "Hello."
Jerry Jones, Ruiner of Cowboy fans dreams for 25 years: " Uh, hello, this is uhhhh Jerry Jones of theeee Dallas Cowboys."
Douglas: "Hello Mr. Jones, how can I help you?"
Jones: "Well, you see, uhhhh, I was wondering, what would it take for you to uhhhh send us the #1 pick in the draft?"
Douglas: " I apologize Mr. Jones, but we aren't really considering trading away from the pick. We have our guy."
Jones: " Ummm, well now, Joe, everything has a price."
Douglas: "Okay then, sure....your first round, second, and third round picks this year, Trevon Diggs, CeeDee Lamp, and your next five years of first round picks."
Jones: " Well, uhh, let me look at the trade chart and...uhhh, I'll get back to ya....Would you possibly consider our number one and Anthony Brown?"
Stephen Jones, screaming in the background: "Hang up the phone Dad!"
That's funny.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Unless we get an extra 2 we arent coming out of this draft with a starting cb/safety imo. Its either one or the other.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Sure we are...we just got one in Diggs and this is a fairly deep class as well.
Basically I'm saying if we are waiting for round 3 we arent getting a day 1 secondary starter. Round 2 sure. Last 3 years its been one secondary day 1 baller and thats Justin Reid. I tend to believe he fell for non football reasons associated with his brother

cnuball21

Reaction score
Basically I'm saying if we are waiting for round 3 we arent getting a day 1 secondary starter. Round 2 sure. Last 3 years its been one secondary day 1 baller and thats Justin Reid. I tend to believe he fell for non football reasons associated with his brother

I'd disagree. Obviously it gets harder the further you go in the draft...but you can get starters in the 3rd round. They may not be day 1 impact players, but most rookies aren't. We just need to try and upgrade both S spots and also add in players that can turn into starting CBs to replace expiring contracts. Just need to think big picture not pro bowl at every position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think the Wentz trade should be in the ballpark. The Browns gave up #2 and a 4th next year and received #8, #77, #100 and a first and second the next year.

If Dallas is picking third, I don't think the return is quite as good, but that's the bar I think.

I think we would need to be in the top 2 to get a big, trade down package. That might not be attainable.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
So far I'm with Sewell or Parsons all the way. Both have an easier path to snaps than some may think; Jaylon can be released next year for basically a push between salary and dead cap, and Tyron's got to be close to retirement.

Sewell looks like a once-a-decade prospect to me and Parsons isn't too far off that. It would take a huge trade down to dissuade me from taking a future Pro Bowl LT or LB on a 4 year cost-controlled contract.

One other defender that may crash the party: Caleb Farley is 6'2" 205 with sub-4.4 speed. I'll have to watch his tape, but just on measurables alone, I don't think he goes any later than CJ Henderson did.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The biggest issue today is the likes of Washington, NY, Philly, Cincy & 49ers are still on the schedule. I can't see them losing to all 5, which will take us out of that top 5 range.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Id stay away from Farley round 1 like I wanted to stay away from Diggs and McKinney round 1 let alone top 10
So far I'm with Sewell or Parsons all the way. Both have an easier path to snaps than some may think; Jaylon can be released next year for basically a push between salary and dead cap, and Tyron's got to be close to retirement.

Sewell looks like a once-a-decade prospect to me and Parsons isn't too far off that. It would take a huge trade down to dissuade me from taking a future Pro Bowl LT or LB on a 4 year cost-controlled contract.

One other defender that may crash the party: Caleb Farley is 6'2" 205 with sub-4.4 speed. I'll have to watch his tape, but just on measurables alone, I don't think he goes any later than CJ Henderson did.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think we would need to be in the top 2 to get a big, trade down package. That might not be attainable.
Not necessarily. If a team wants Lance/Wilson, they'll have to move ahead of the Giants.

It really doesn't matter if Lance is the #7 prospect or not. 3 is where teams will have to move to make sure they get him - just like Wentz was the 2 spot.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Not necessarily. If a team wants Lance/Wilson, they'll have to move ahead of the Giants.

It really doesn't matter if Lance is the #7 prospect or not. 3 is where teams will have to move to make sure they get him - just like Wentz was the 2 spot.

Agree with this. Best case scenario for us is Wilson continues to ball out to get his stock soaring.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

In my opinion, landing one of the top two picks in next year's draft is going to be a real challenge as I don't see the Jets & Jax winning many games. Will the likes of Lance/Wilson be attractive enough for a team to make a move to acquire? As we know QB's are always over drafted and are in high demand, it is possible, but the Cowboys must maintain their draft position to make such a deal with a QB needy team.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
In my opinion, landing one of the top two picks in next year's draft is going to be a real challenge as I don't see the Jets & Jax winning many games. Will the likes of Lance/Wilson be attractive enough for a team to make a move to acquire? As we know QB's are always over drafted and are in high demand, it is possible, but the Cowboys must maintain their draft position to make such a deal with a QB needy team.

I think Jacksonville can win1 more game.