Early Draft Thoughts

calicowboy54

Reaction score
- Bad year to be picking in the top 5ish needing blue chip defensive talent. Parsons is it.
- Great year to add an OT. A lot of solid options in the top 50 or so that can turn into quality pros.
- Good depth at CB and S. No top end, blue chippers but A LOT of guys in the top 50ish that I think can help us.
- Bad year to need a pass rusher. Most of the top prospects are tweeners or upside picks.
- Bad year to add DT help.

I'm all about BPA at position of need, positional value and taking what the draft gives you. At an early glance, it's a great year to load up on young DBs to upgrade and replace some expiring contracts and get a swing tackle that can develop into Smith's replacement (or Sewell). Will need to keep digging on DTs because I'd love to add someone in the middle who can help us against the run.

i would not say it’s a bad year. there will be all pros taken all over the place. in right defense the big dt from byu is going to kill it. same with guy from usc. they are not going to be the wow guys at combine so they will be had in 2day or 3rd day. lots of good twitchy tweeners at edge that would fit in this defense. just got to get them in later rounds.

cnuball21

Reaction score
i would not say it’s a bad year. there will be all pros taken all over the place. in right defense the big dt from byu is going to kill it. same with guy from usc. they are not going to be the wow guys at combine so they will be had in 2day or 3rd day. lots of good twitchy tweeners at edge that would fit in this defense. just got to get them in later rounds.

Id argue it’s worse than bad. For the positions we need help in I don’t see any blue chippers.

Good depth that can help improve the roster but if you’re in the top 5 ideally you’re getting a perennial pro bowler.

Good news is we could get Sewell he’s just on the other side of the ball.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think we are going to be prime for a trade back scenario. The question is how far are you willing to trade back, and what compensation are you looking for in return?

In my opinion the Cowboys have been in the same pre-draft position for the past several years, far better to get 2 or maybe 3 really good players rather than the absolute top dog at one position and average guys the rest of the way. So far they haven't traded back very much, if it's true there aren't that many great players then having more picks in the upper rounds is tailor made for the Cowboys.

But having said that, don't be too quick to pull the plug on all the "underperforming" players. Some got off to an injury plagued first season, some didn't play that much in college and so lacked development and some were from smaller programs so they needed time to get accustomed to the skill level & complexity of the NFL. Add to that the limited off season, and it may take longer to evaluate players.

I would hope the Cowboys would quit with reaching for free agent help, you would think after the Thornton, Poe, McCoy et al fiascos Jerry and Stephen would realize that.
But Jerry keeps hoping the NEXT free agent will be another Charles Haley. :facepalm: