Early draft thoughts

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
- Think Gervon Dexter is going to he the top target. We've spent 3 day 2 picks since 2019 on DT's. One is already gone, and one they tried to trade. We are very thin there. Dexter checks alot of boxes. At 6'6 315, he is big, long and athletic. He can play a 3T and 4i when they want to run that package. I can see him being a similar player to Michael Brockers in the NFL. I see him playing at 320 in the NFL

-If I am correct in that, amd Dexter is gone, I can the pick being a CB. It looks like a deep draft for tier 1 and 2 guys at CB, so that could easily be where the value is at 26. Keele Ringo is a name to watch there. Will probably be the 4th or 5th CB off the board, but projects as a #1 CB.

- I dont see Bijan Robinson being there, but dont sleep on Jahmyr Gibbs. Very different players, Gibbs is more akin to Alvin Kamara. He is more of a 200-250 carry, 70 reception guy in the NFL.

- I think they will address WR before the draft, so I dont really think that is a route they will go. I dont think WR will be great value at 26. I dont think Addison or even JSN will be there. Hyatt would be a decent pick, but if both were available Id take Ringo

- Drew Sanders is very interesting there. Fits the kind of player Quinn likes to have. LB with the ability to put his hand in the dirt and rush the pass. He'd be another weapon on the edge. Two questions though: 1) Do we have enough there considering we had a hard time getting Sam Williams run. 2) Is Drew Sanders good enough at on particular thing to justify a 1st round pick. Would be very interesting if he was the pick though.

-OL is a possibility at 26, but I dont think it's probable. I dont think value will match up well there. Osyrus Torrence would the most likely there, but I dont think they will go that route. I could see them bringing back McGovern and taking an interior player day 2

-I dont see them going after a big DT in the 1st (I consider Dexter a 3T, but I can see them having interest in Keanu Benton in the 2nd. I see Benton as a poor mans Daron Payne. A guy who isnt massive (Benton is 315, Payne 320), but has the strenth and power to anchor like he is 340. Im always skeptical of big DT talk, but they rarely make in season trades and they went out and traded for Hankins. Could mean they are dissatisfied with the position. Benton can also play 4i ala Red Bryant

cowboyec

Reaction score
as this process unfolds...i'll be curious to see if notre dame de isaiah foskey gets any interest from us.
i'm an irish fan so its selfish but he's a heckuva good player.

another de i like is felix the wildcat from kstate.
love his size.
i don't think we'd consider him at 26...but in rd2.
big fan of the player.

i'm hopin a player like michael mayer,te-notre dame...or georgia ot brandon jones drops into our laps.
if its a cb...i really like penn state's joey porter.

if its a wr...i'm rootin' for tcu's quentin johnston to get to us.

raven55

Reaction score
1 million dollar bet it won't be any one to help this team like the last qb drafted in last years mock maybe bride some of the 49ers scouts come work for you the last qb scouted by there great draft scouts keeps throwing interceptions ha ha

Carson

Reaction score
I know it’s January and the combine has yet to happen. But my three choices are

- Drew Sanders, LB. 5 star rating, played at Alabama and Arkansas. Born and raised in Dallas. Could take over Anthony Barr next season progress more as the season goes on.

- Bijan Robinson, RB. I know running back in the first is not what people want. But at 26? No brainer for me.

- Siaki Ika, DT. This guy reminds me of guys like BJ Raji, Terrence Cody etc. just behemoth of a man. He’s likely not rich enough at 26 but won’t last into the 2nd when we pick again.

rambo2

Reaction score
1 million dollar bet it won't be any one to help this team like the last qb drafted in last years mock maybe bride some of the 49ers scouts come work for you the last qb scouted by there great draft scouts keeps throwing interceptions ha ha
I had to read your post 3 times to figure out what you were trying to say.

cowboyec

Reaction score
with a name like drew(pearson) (deion)sanders...it's almost meant to be.
:starspin:

Flamma

Reaction score

- Drew Sanders, LB. 5 star rating, played at Alabama and Arkansas. Born and raised in Dallas. Could take over Anthony Barr next season progress more as the season goes on.

- Bijan Robinson, RB. I know running back in the first is not what people want. But at 26? No brainer for me.

- Siaki Ika, DT. This guy reminds me of guys like BJ Raji, Terrence Cody etc. just behemoth of a man. He’s likely not rich enough at 26 but won’t last into the 2nd when we pick again.
I fully agree. At pick 26, if you can get a really good RB, go for it. Our O needs help. But any of those players look good to me.

raven55

Reaction score
well doesn't matter what they draft dumb and dumber at the end of the day with hamburger mike at coach, it all adds up to another let down

RS12

Reaction score
With the most recent failure fresh on everyone's mind I give a 98% chance.of the highest rated offensive skill player. 2% chance it's a high rated player nobody expected to drop that far. Think Laramy Tunscil and the gas mask photo.

Gaede

Reaction score
Very well thought out post.

I just have a hard time seeing the front office drafting a DT in round one. I could see them thinking 'we solved the run game with a guy like Hankins, and those type of guys are always available, so we don't need to burn a high pick'. Then again, we're pretty low in the round, so maybe that changes their reasoning.

I'd wager CB, LB (depending on what they do with LVE), and RB will be the targets because they are positions with perceived higher impact. I agree we will, and should, attempt to solve WR through free agency or trade.

Sydla

Reaction score
as this process unfolds...i'll be curious to see if notre dame de isaiah foskey gets any interest from us.
i'm an irish fan so its selfish but he's a heckuva good player.

another de i like is felix the wildcat from kstate.
love his size.
i don't think we'd consider him at 26...but in rd2.
big fan of the player.

i'm hopin a player like michael mayer,te-notre dame...or georgia ot brandon jones drops into our laps.
if its a cb...i really like penn state's joey porter.

if its a wr...i'm rootin' for tcu's quentin johnston to get to us.
Foskey would be interesting and you know Quinn loves toolsy edge rushers but the one spot we seem to be OK at is DE with Lawrence and Armstrong and then Parsons playing there a lot. Not sure what will happen with Fowler so maybe they'd view Foskey as a Fowler replacement?

cowboyec

Reaction score
Foskey would be interesting and you know Quinn loves toolsy edge rushers but the one spot we seem to be OK at is DE with Lawrence and Armstrong and then Parsons playing there a lot. Not sure what will happen with Fowler so maybe they'd view Foskey as a Fowler replacement?
he also got involved a few times this year in the punt block party.
replacement for fowler and who knows what will happen with the league and sam williams over the car accident.
i'd just love to see foskey here with dlaw and armstrong.
can never have enough pass rushers.

tm1119

Reaction score

I just have a hard time seeing the front office drafting a DT in round one. I could see them thinking 'we solved the run game with a guy like Hankins, and those type of guys are always available, so we don't need to burn a high pick'. Then again, we're pretty low in the round, so maybe that changes their reasoning.

I'd wager CB, LB (depending on what they do with LVE), and RB will be the targets because they are positions with perceived higher impact. I agree we will, and should, attempt to solve WR through free agency or trade.
I think Quinn, like every D coordinator, values players that can pressure the QB. We don’t have that at DT. I agree they won’t draft a true 1Tech that doesn’t have good pass rush skills in the 1st, but we need a lot more inside than just Osa. And I agree with OP that Gervon Dexter fits the mold of a guy that can do a bit of everything. With Parsons, DLaw, Armstrong, and Williams already penciled in as edge rushers next year the logical thing to improve the pass rush to the next step is inside at DT. Not saying it’s a guarantee or anything, but an interior pass rusher has to be in the discussion in the 1st.

Sydla

Reaction score
he also got involved a few times this year in the punt block party.
replacement for fowler and who knows what will happen with the league and sam williams over the car accident.
i'd just love to see foskey here with dlaw and armstrong.
can never have enough pass rushers.
Doubt there will be any real issues with Williams and the accident. I had totally forgotten about him. It would seem unlikely we would use a 1st round or even 2nd round pick on a DE/OLB at this point. I suspect they bring Fowler back or they just find another similar style vet.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Doubt there will be any real issues with Williams and the accident. I had totally forgotten about him. It would seem unlikely we would use a 1st round or even 2nd round pick on a DE/OLB at this point. I suspect they bring Fowler back or they just find another similar style vet.
i'll just be curious if they show interest in him at all.
but foskey would be a nice addition to this defense in my opinion.
he seems to have the traits they like from de's.

exciter

Reaction score

Ika … 350lb nose tackle with consensus major weakness being lacks upper body strength… hard pass!!!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Im guessing Williams absorbs Fowlers snaps

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

My thoughts on them taking a DT in round 1, is they spammed DT's on day 2 and it failed. Them taking DT's 3 years in a row on day makes me think it might actually be possibility in the 1st. Right now outside of WR it say that is our thinnest position

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Quinn, like every D coordinator, values players that can pressure the QB. We don’t have that at DT. I agree they won’t draft a true 1Tech that doesn’t have good pass rush skills in the 1st, but we need a lot more inside than just Osa. And I agree with OP that Gervon Dexter fits the mold of a guy that can do a bit of everything. With Parsons, DLaw, Armstrong, and Williams already penciled in as edge rushers next year the logical thing to improve the pass rush to the next step is inside at DT. Not saying it’s a guarantee or anything, but an interior pass rusher has to be in the discussion in the 1st.
Tuli Tuipulotu is another possibility as well