Early draft thoughts

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Dexter isn't top 5 with Mel, Pff or brugler. I'm not one to take their word but what do you see in him?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
- Think Gervon Dexter is going to he the top target. We've spent 3 day 2 picks since 2019 on DT's. One is already gone, and one they tried to trade. We are very thin there. Dexter checks alot of boxes. At 6'6 315, he is big, long and athletic. He can play a 3T and 4i when they want to run that package. I can see him being a similar player to Michael Brockers in the NFL. I see him playing at 320 in the NFL

-If I am correct in that, amd Dexter is gone, I can the pick being a CB. It looks like a deep draft for tier 1 and 2 guys at CB, so that could easily be where the value is at 26. Keele Ringo is a name to watch there. Will probably be the 4th or 5th CB off the board, but projects as a #1 CB.

- I dont see Bijan Robinson being there, but dont sleep on Jahmyr Gibbs. Very different players, Gibbs is more akin to Alvin Kamara. He is more of a 200-250 carry, 70 reception guy in the NFL.

- I think they will address WR before the draft, so I dont really think that is a route they will go. I dont think WR will be great value at 26. I dont think Addison or even JSN will be there. Hyatt would be a decent pick, but if both were available Id take Ringo

- Drew Sanders is very interesting there. Fits the kind of player Quinn likes to have. LB with the ability to put his hand in the dirt and rush the pass. He'd be another weapon on the edge. Two questions though: 1) Do we have enough there considering we had a hard time getting Sam Williams run. 2) Is Drew Sanders good enough at on particular thing to justify a 1st round pick. Would be very interesting if he was the pick though.

-OL is a possibility at 26, but I dont think it's probable. I dont think value will match up well there. Osyrus Torrence would the most likely there, but I dont think they will go that route. I could see them bringing back McGovern and taking an interior player day 2

-I dont see them going after a big DT in the 1st (I consider Dexter a 3T, but I can see them having interest in Keanu Benton in the 2nd. I see Benton as a poor mans Daron Payne. A guy who isnt massive (Benton is 315, Payne 320), but has the strenth and power to anchor like he is 340. Im always skeptical of big DT talk, but they rarely make in season trades and they went out and traded for Hankins. Could mean they are dissatisfied with the position. Benton can also play 4i ala Red Bryant
Shows that cover the media, and even some national media are saying from things they hear with pollards price going to be high, and Elliot, that they see Dallas grabbing Robinson if he's there at 26.

They were saying this before his injury. I think now it's a given cause pollard isn't g going to be himself next yr

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dexter isn't top 5 with Mel, Pff or brugler. I'm not one to take their word but what do you see in him?
He gives you alot of leverage and bust. His size is ideal for what we want and he has top end athleticism. He needs to correct some technical flaws to be more disruptive, but I see him as a guy you can move around the line on all 3 downs. Tuli Tuipulotu is very similar, and is more pro ready, but I dont know if his upside is as high. Dexter could probably play at 325 and not lose anything

Croomraider

Reaction score
OLB with speed and coverage ability for me.
Bijan Robinson or Deuce Vaughn would help this O significantly.

Overall, Dan Quinn staying is a big deal for me, even though our O needs some
skill players, wouldn't mind selling out and going all D! Dallas could be the next
San Fran D if we get the right picks this year.

Sydla

Reaction score
Bring back Hankins. He likely won't be pricey. Bring in a big time DT like a Payne or Tomlinson or Simmons.

Then draft a kid in the first few rounds. You still have Odi. Suddenly you've gone from a mundane, mediocre DT rotation to a really good one.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bring back Hankins. He likely won't be pricey. Bring in a big time DT like a Payne or Tomlinson or Simmons.

Then draft a kid in the first few rounds. You still have Odi. Suddenly you've gone from a mundane, mediocre DT rotation to a really good one.
Hankins pretty much played for the vet min last year. If we bring him back, Id prefer Simmons out of that. Even now Hankins can occupy space and make a play on the ball. He is just done as far as any pass rush.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Dallas loves drafting stud athletes and workout warriors, so I don't think they'll seriously set their board until the measurables season ends in March. Tyler Smith and Sam Williams weren't on anyone's radar last January.

My early guess... they'll go CB in the first. Kelee Ringo and Joey Porter Jr. are two names to watch out for. They both have the length Quinn covets and the athleticism McClay drools over.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hankins pretty much played for the vet min last year. If we bring him back, Id prefer Simmons out of that. Even now Hankins can occupy space and make a play on the ball. He is just done as far as any pass rush.
Why not both? Hankins played well. He won't be expensive. Then go out and bring in a Simmons or Tomlinson. Suddenly you've gone from Watkins and Odi to Hankins and Simmons with Odi as a backup. That's an infinitely better situation.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why not both? Hankins played well. He won't be expensive. Then go out and bring in a Simmons or Tomlinson. Suddenly you've gone from Watkins and Odi to Hankins and Simmons with Odi as a backup. That's an infinitely better situation.
Thats what I meant. Of you Hankins back and go for a premium, Id prefer Simmons because he is more a disruptor

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Dallas loves drafting stud athletes and workout warriors, so I don't think they'll seriously set their board until the measurables season ends in March. Tyler Smith and Sam Williams weren't on anyone's radar last January.

My early guess... they'll go CB in the first. Kelee Ringo and Joey Porter Jr. are two names to watch out for. They both have the length Quinn covets and the athleticism McClay drools over.
Quinn has shown he can't draft corners. Somebody else needs to lead the charge. And Simmons isn't available

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Dexter was a 5 star recruit. Talented player that could developed, but I don’t love him enough for round1. Much rather have Benton in round 2. I think CB is going to get a very serious look. Unless they think Bland can transition full time outside.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The offense was frozen in the playoff loss . If you have to get Quentin Johnston 6’4 215 TCU WR put him opposite Lamb with Gallup your three and a free for all camp competition at 4 .

At mid 20’s round one probably not around any longer have to trade up. Like it or not Prescott is QB 1 for the next 2 seasons . Load up . The Packers I’ve read would love to have Rodgers throwing to Watson and this pick out of TCU give it a last shot with # 12 .

Acceptablename

Reaction score
- Think Gervon Dexter is going to he the top target. We've spent 3 day 2 picks since 2019 on DT's. One is already gone, and one they tried to trade. We are very thin there. Dexter checks alot of boxes. At 6'6 315, he is big, long and athletic. He can play a 3T and 4i when they want to run that package. I can see him being a similar player to Michael Brockers in the NFL. I see him playing at 320 in the NFL

-If I am correct in that, amd Dexter is gone, I can the pick being a CB. It looks like a deep draft for tier 1 and 2 guys at CB, so that could easily be where the value is at 26. Keele Ringo is a name to watch there. Will probably be the 4th or 5th CB off the board, but projects as a #1 CB.

- I dont see Bijan Robinson being there, but dont sleep on Jahmyr Gibbs. Very different players, Gibbs is more akin to Alvin Kamara. He is more of a 200-250 carry, 70 reception guy in the NFL.

- I think they will address WR before the draft, so I dont really think that is a route they will go. I dont think WR will be great value at 26. I dont think Addison or even JSN will be there. Hyatt would be a decent pick, but if both were available Id take Ringo

- Drew Sanders is very interesting there. Fits the kind of player Quinn likes to have. LB with the ability to put his hand in the dirt and rush the pass. He'd be another weapon on the edge. Two questions though: 1) Do we have enough there considering we had a hard time getting Sam Williams run. 2) Is Drew Sanders good enough at on particular thing to justify a 1st round pick. Would be very interesting if he was the pick though.

-OL is a possibility at 26, but I dont think it's probable. I dont think value will match up well there. Osyrus Torrence would the most likely there, but I dont think they will go that route. I could see them bringing back McGovern and taking an interior player day 2

-I dont see them going after a big DT in the 1st (I consider Dexter a 3T, but I can see them having interest in Keanu Benton in the 2nd. I see Benton as a poor mans Daron Payne. A guy who isnt massive (Benton is 315, Payne 320), but has the strenth and power to anchor like he is 340. Im always skeptical of big DT talk, but they rarely make in season trades and they went out and traded for Hankins. Could mean they are dissatisfied with the position. Benton can also play 4i ala Red Bryant
This class is pretty average other than that at the top. So I don’t think there’s a big difference in players particular where we are slottEd. Just fix the oline Early

Rayman70

Reaction score
My thoughts are simple. We have a foundation, now just draft really good football players,regardless of need. We can find a fit later. Just get me some mudders/winners in here.Then let them sort it out and compete in camp. Hand nothing to nobody(except Micah). Open competition. That will bring out the best in the team.

JBS

Reaction score
This team needs weapons across the board

Signing a WR in Fa shouldn’t stop them from drafting a WR at 26

No value at WR? Take a RB. No value at RB? Take a TE.

Just add weapons to this team