Early look at the NFC Conference

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The facts are that half the playoff field gets overturned every season. Now the field has increased to 7 teams, with just the #1 seed getting the bye. We cannot predict injuries, but here are the most contending teams in the conference:

-Eagles-with better health that have as much talented as any team. Secondary is still a question mark.
-Cowboys-it's all about improving their defense and special teams.
-Saints-probably the most talented roster in the entire league, one of the favorites to win the conference
-Bucs-Brady/Gronk should help, but still have issues on defense.
-Falcons-they gave the top teams fits at the end of the season, fixed pass rush, dark horse contender
-Packers-did very little to improve their roster, Rodgers still there makes them a contender
-Bears-they have everything but a QB. Could Foles turn this team into a contender?
-Vikings-they made sweeping changes throughout their roster, probably take a step back this season
-49ers-favorite to win, but Super Bowl losers tend to take a step back. They are the hunted,
-Seahawks-even not the most talented roster, they are consistent every year, solid playoff contender
-Rams-kind of like the Vikings, made sweeping changes, probably will set them back for this year
-Cardinals-this is another dark horse contender, if they fix their OL, could be dangerous

mcmvp

Reaction score
The facts are that half the playoff field gets overturned every season. Now the field has increased to 7 teams, with just the #1 seed getting the bye. We cannot predict injuries, but here are the most contending teams in the conference:

-Eagles-with better health that have as much talented as any team. Secondary is still a question mark.
-Saints-probably the most talented roster in the entire league, one of the favorites to win the conference
-Falcons-they gave the top teams fits at the end of the season, fixed pass rush, dark horse contender
-Packers-did very little to improve their roster, Rodgers still there makes them a contender
-Bears-they have everything but a QB. Could Foles turn this team into a contender?
-Vikings-they made sweeping changes throughout their roster, probably take a step back this season
-49ers-favorite to win, but Super Bowl losers tend to take a step back. They are the hunted,
-Seahawks-even not the most talented roster, they are consistent every year, solid playoff contender
-Rams-kind of like the Vikings, made sweeping changes, probably will set them back for this year
-Cardinals-this is another dark horse contender, if they fix their OL, could be dangerous

That's the one thing that disqualifies the 49ers from being the favorite in my opinion. The SB loss hangover seems to be a very real thing.

Creeper

Reaction score
I may be one of the few that believes Brady is not going to be great in Tampa Bay. He is a 43 year old QB and I don't care what he eats for dinner, father times wins every time. He looked old at the end of last season. He is going to look older in 2020. No one will benefit from an abbreviated season more than Brady, if the season is cut short because of CV19. There is a reason Brady moved to Tampa Bay, Florida. Its the warm weather and Brady is hoping it extends his career. Look at the Bucs December schedule - Bye, Vikings in Tampa, Falcons in Atlanta (dome), Detroit in Detroit (dome) and then Atlanta again, in Tampa. Brady is no dummy. But time wounds all heals.

I feel the same way about Brees at 40. He is still a good QB and having Hill as a change of pace helps Brees but he was starting to show some signs of age last year too. Its a gradual process, then a fall off a cliff. I think Brees is nearing the cliff.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I may be one of the few that believes Brady is not going to be great in Tampa Bay. He is a 43 year old QB and I don't care what he eats for dinner, father times wins every time. He looked old at the end of last season. He is going to look older in 2020. No one will benefit from an abbreviated season more than Brady, if the season is cut short because of CV19. There is a reason Brady moved to Tampa Bay, Florida. Its the warm weather and Brady is hoping it extends his career. Look at the Bucs December schedule - Bye, Vikings in Tampa, Falcons in Atlanta (dome), Detroit in Detroit (dome) and then Atlanta again, in Tampa. Brady is no dummy. But time wounds all heals.

I feel the same way about Brees at 40. He is still a good QB and having Hill as a change of pace helps Brees but he was starting to show some signs of age last year too. Its a gradual process, then a fall off a cliff. I think Brees is nearing the cliff.

I think we see a big drop off in Brady, Brees, Rodgers this year, and even more as we have seen it from Big Ben also.

Oh, Brady may start out decent, the adrenaline and all that. But as things settle down, teams get some film on him. We will see it.
We even seen how Rodgers missed wide open receivers last year at times. Brady the same things, and as you said, Brees nearing that cliff also, as he too may see a drop off more so than expected by fans and media.

MikeB80

Reaction score
IMO

This whole season is about Kansas City vs. Baltimore. Whoever wins the playoff game between them will probably beat the nfc representative by at least 7.

in the back of my mind I wonder if Belichick knows this and it is the reason he didn't panic and sign a known qb.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Saints, Bucs, Niners are the only 3 teams I would worry about playing.

If we have relative health this team should start to roll this season with MM.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's the one thing that disqualifies the 49ers from being the favorite in my opinion. The SB loss hangover seems to be a very real thing.

Nonsense. Disqualifies? Maybe in your dreams.

Fontaine

Reaction score
IMO

This whole season is about Kansas City vs. Baltimore. Whoever wins the playoff game between them will probably beat the nfc representative by at least 7.

in the back of my mind I wonder if Belichick knows this and it is the reason he didn't panic and sign a known qb.

I’m a strong believer that Belichick will somehow get Lawrence, wheather that means sacrificing this season, or through trades. But something tells me he’s going to be a patriot next year and the AFC East is in for another rein of patriot terror.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Saints, Bucs, Niners are the only 3 teams I would worry about playing.

If we have relative health this team should start to roll this season with MM.

On paper, those are the pre-season favorites in the conference:

-Saints are loaded, I don't see any hole within their roster, outside of maybe linebacker. How do they lose to a lesser team in the playoffs?
-49ers will not surprise anyone this yr, teams will use them as a measuring stick, could be a difficult season repeating
-Bucs-their problem was not only Winston's turnovers, but their poor defense. It's one thing to play in the AFC East it's another to play in the NFC South.

All three teams are certainly beatable, I'm pretty sure their will be another 49er type team that breaks out. Barring health, the Cowboys certainly can contend with these teams right now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
On paper, those are the pre-season favorites in the conference:

-Saints are loaded, I don't see any hole within their roster, outside of maybe linebacker. How do they lose to a lesser team in the playoffs?
-49ers will not surprise anyone this yr, teams will use them as a measuring stick, could be a difficult season repeating
-Bucs-their problem was not only Winston's turnovers, but their poor defense. It's one thing to play in the AFC East it's another to play in the NFC South.

All three teams are certainly beatable, I'm pretty sure their will be another 49er type team that breaks out. Barring health, the Cowboys certainly can contend with these teams right now.

I pretty much agree. Defense will tell how good we can ultimately be. Just on scheme along and upgrade at the DT position makes us a better defense.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think we see a big drop off in Brady, Brees, Rodgers this year, and even more as we have seen it from Big Ben also.

Oh, Brady may start out decent, the adrenaline and all that. But as things settle down, teams get some film on him. We will see it.
We even seen how Rodgers missed wide open receivers last year at times. Brady the same things, and as you said, Brees nearing that cliff also, as he too may see a drop off more so than expected by fans and media.

I will never forget that post-season game between the Packers and Giants up in Green Bay where Farve looked so horrible. The cold weather at the end of a long season seems to expose the older QBs in a way that sends them to retirement of a new team. Brees has the dome and he plays in NO. Brady plays in Tampa. But if a cold weather team that plays outdoors can get them at home in the playoffs, I think Brady and Brees will both look old. Farve plays in GB. Your point about him is well taken. He also looked bad at the end of last year. The Packers have no choice but to play in the cold weather at home.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until proven otherwise, I have the Cowboys in that 6th or 7th spot, which should make the playoffs. If they don't make it, going to be a lot of angst in Mudville with this coaching change. McC wasn't hired to win later.

Every team has ?'s but I think NO is the class of the NFC going in. SF has that D and run game but will the SB hangover haunt them? GB fired a shot across Rodgers' bow, if they stumble, that could be the story of the year. PHL is dependent on a QB they've not been able to depend on. SEA might be the most QB dependent in the NFC. There are always surprise teams in the NFC, could that be ATL, AZ, CAR, TB or WAS this year? ATL is so on again off again, they can't be counted out.

We all assume it will be DAL and PHL fighting for the East but I wouldn't count the Skins out, they weren't that bad last year and just need some improved QB play.

I do not like the playoff format. It favors the 1 seed too much and will allow for a team with a .500 or losing record in the playoffs. If they can't win better than half their games, they should be sitting and watching better teams play.