Early offseason wishlist

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Free Agents
LB Ray Lewis (If released, true leadership on defense, and an upgrade over Ayodele)
CB Drayton Florence (Is familiar with Wade's style of defense, and won't be expensive)
QB Josh McCown (Brad Johnson's career is over)

Important Cowboys re-signed
S Ken Hamlin (4 year deal)
Marion Barber (1st and 3rd round tender)
Chris Canty (1st round tender)

1st round draft picks
#22- WR DeSean Jackson
#30- CB Leodis McKelvin

I know we just signed Crayton to a multi-year deal, but Crayton is most effective as the #3 WR. One thing we lacked on offense this year was speed. T.O. is the only guy on offense IMO that can take it to the house on any given play. With TG most likely retiring, Jackson is the logical pick. Jackson could also resolve our huge problem at punt returner that we've had for years now! I'm praying we don't re-sign Jacques Reeves and draft our nickel corner in Leodis McKelvin. If McKelvin doesn't progress as quickly as hoped, we have Drayton Florence from FA to fill the #3 CB spot while McKelvin gets acclimated to the position.

CB's: Newman, Henry, McKelvin, Florence, Ball, Jones

What do you guys think?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
TheSport78;1910305 said:
I know we just signed Crayton to a multi-year deal, but Crayton is most effective as the #3 WR.

How so? His most effective year was in 2007, when he played 2nd WR.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Excellent offseason. The key IMO is to get a vet cb and a rookie CB in the 1st to get the secondary back on track. However I doubt that McKelvin will be there with our late pick so I would take him at #22 and then grab Bowman with my next pick.

TheSport78

Reaction score
abersonc;1910314 said:

Crayton started out very fast but slowed down at the end of the season and as we saw in the playoff game, isn't that great in the clutch as well. I don't believe Crayton is a true #2 WR. And while Crayton's statistics may go down as the #3, he is most effective in the slot when matched up on linebackers or nickel CB's. What was our 3 WR set in 07'? Sam Hurd as the #3? Sam Hurd is a true #4 WR. We need more speed at the WR position and Crayton should be the #3 while DeSean Jackson would be the #2...in a perfect world lol.

TheSport78

Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;1910315 said:
Excellent offseason. The key IMO is to get a vet cb and a rookie CB in the 1st to get the secondary back on track.

Thanks! I agree..getting a vet CB is key b/c Henry has shown to not be reliable for an entire season

utrunner07

Reaction score
TheSport78;1910305 said:
If someone wants Barber for a 1st and a 3rd, see ya!

Agreed that Crayton is at best #3

Woods

Reaction score
With respect to the WR position, I'd PREFER if we first tried FA and get a vet WR who could step in Day 1.

That said, I would consider further bolstering the position and draft another WR, though not necessarily in Round 1.

I think we could get a very good development WR in Rounds 2-3 as well.

If no WR was available in FA, I'd have to re-think.

But anyway, that's my preference. And IF we aren't going to re-sign Flo, we should easily be able to afford a good vet WR in FA (to replace Glenn).

dannyboy

Reaction score
abersonc;1910314 said:

Only because he replaced TG is the reason he had more catches. He is better overall in the slot

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
McCown is garbage. Look out for Richard Bartel in the off season. I believe our team liked him over Matt Moore last season, which is why we gave him limited time in the Pre Season.

burmafrd

Reaction score
We should get a good vet but not a top high priced CB. Then draft one high. Look for a burner WR either in draft or FA. We need another DEEP THREAT. That was PROVEN this year.

Dcowboy84

Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;1910315 said:
Excellent offseason. The key IMO is to get a vet cb and a rookie CB in the 1st to get the secondary back on track. However I doubt that McKelvin will be there with our late pick so I would take him at #22 and then grab Bowman with my next pick.

I totally agree about getting the vet and rookie CB in the offseason being a priority.

I do not know enough about McKelvin to make an accurate guess on where he might go, but i wouldn't be opposed to this scenario with McKelvin and Bowman. Bowman i believe was hurt this year, but his body type and physicality make him intriguing.

The only problem is that i don't know how fast he is, and i do agree that if we get another wideout we really need to get a speed threat.

Does anyone happen to know who the "speed" receivers are in this draft, besides Jackson? And do not include Mario "Wo"Manningham, b/c we would need speed receivers who can run a route other than fly patterns.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
TheSport78;1910316 said:
Crayton started out very fast but slowed down at the end of the season

funny, his stat sheet says he had more receptions in December than any other month.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd actually like to raid the Commanders for two specific players:

Shawn Springs and Rock Cartwright

I think Springs will get released in a salary cap move and I think he's still solid. (anything's better than Jacques Reeves!) I think given his family ties to Dallas, he may be open to coming to Dallas - mayeb at a bit of a discount.

And I think Cartwright can be a solid #3 running back and jack-of-all-trades for the Cowboys' special teams units - and he shouldn't be too expensive either.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Good looking list except I do not want DeSean Jackson in the first ....

I do not want a 160 lb receiver in this division.

Woods

Reaction score
stasheroo;1910701 said:
I'd actually like to raid the Commanders for two specific players:

Shawn Springs and Rock Cartwright

I think Springs will get released in a salary cap move and I think he's still solid. (anything's better than Jacques Reeves!) I think given his family ties to Dallas, he may be open to coming to Dallas - mayeb at a bit of a discount.

And I think Cartwright can be a solid #3 running back and jack-of-all-trades for the Cowboys' special teams units - and he shouldn't be too expensive either.

I've been harping on about S Springs for some time now.

I also think the Commanders will have to cut him.

He would be a solid veteran for 1-2 years, and he could start in a pinch. We should also use a high pick and draft another CB to eventually take over Springs and/or Henry's spot after 1-2 years.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Why do people not realize that Drayton Florence is terrible?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;1910730 said:

Because he's on another team. You do realize that all players that anyone have ever heard of on other teams are automatically better than our guys. Right?

ValleyBoyz

Reaction score
TheSport78;1910305 said:
Free Agents
LB Ray Lewis (If released, true leadership on defense, and an upgrade over Ayodele)
CB Drayton Florence (Is familiar with Wade's style of defense, and won't be expensive)
QB Josh McCown (Brad Johnson's career is over)

Important Cowboys re-signed
S Ken Hamlin (4 year deal)
Chris Canty (1st round tender)

1st round draft picks
#22- WR DeSean Jackson
#30- CB Leodis McKelvin

I know we just signed Crayton to a multi-year deal, but Crayton is most effective as the #3 WR. One thing we lacked on offense this year was speed. T.O. is the only guy on offense IMO that can take it to the house on any given play. With TG most likely retiring, Jackson is the logical pick. Jackson could also resolve our huge problem at punt returner that we've had for years now! I'm praying we don't re-sign Jacques Reeves and draft our nickel corner in Leodis McKelvin. If McKelvin doesn't progress as quickly as hoped, we have Drayton Florence from FA to fill the #3 CB spot while McKelvin gets acclimated to the position.

CB's: Newman, Henry, McKelvin, Florence, Ball, Jones

What do you guys think?

Good stuff. One of the more realistic offseasons I've seen. My only gripe would be that I hope we go after a proven WR in a trade as rookie WR tend to take a couple years to adjust to the pro game. This may be especially true for a guy like Jackson who's slight stature is sure to get worn down over the course of his first year.

TheSport78

Reaction score
abersonc;1910604 said:
funny, his stat sheet says he had more receptions in December than any other month.

Funny, Crayton may have had the receptions but he was essentially a non-factor in December. Funny, in the last month of the season Crayton had zero TD's. Crayton started out hot and cooled off as the season went on. He is a #3 WR.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
theogt;1910730 said:
Because most don't think he is terrible. Look I watch alot of football but I will admit I don't pay attention to guys who are on other teams. So what I did yesterday was go to the Chargers website and asked them about Florence. Not that they are the authority on the subject but they watch him every Sunday and know more about him than the occasional fan. Here are some of the responses:

jollylama wrote: Drayton is one of those players that you love one play and hate him the next.​
He is a one hell of a competitor that is very aggressive. He usually goes for the big hit which makes him wiff on many tackles. Since he is so aggressive he gets flagged a lot. I can not begin to tell you how many times he kept the other team in the game with his penalties.​
Overall IMO he can be a starter if your corners are terrible, but he is much better suited to play the nickel! With the exception of the last game he has been terrific playing there for us once the "CRO" took over his starting spot.​
mauibolt wrote:
D-Flo is starting material & is the main reason why he will not be back next yr. He will not start here with Cro & Jammer. Oliver will step in for him next yr..​
yantha wrote: I think that he is the most talented nickel in the league right now. He could start for many teams.​
NEGATIVES:​
Aggressiveness sometimes leads to being out of position​
Commits bonehead penalties at times​
Goes for the PDEF instead of the INT​
Doesn't have elite speed and can be behind the play by a fraction of a second with faster wideouts or wideouts that have excellent, crisp route running skills​
POSITIVES:​
Great attitude​
Hard hitter​
Can jam at the line of scrimmage​
Can eliminate average or inconsistent wideouts from gameplans (matches up very well with Stallworth and Gaffney, for instance)​
He will garner lots of attention on the market but won't be able to command the same salary that Asante Samuel will get.​
Are New England fans already looking at replacement possibilities to Samuel??​
D-Flo would be a step down but he's solid.​
SDsanmarcos wrote:
If the Chargers had one player (without the roids) similar in spirit to Rodney Harrison... Florence would be it.