Edge on Bigg: 'He takes it easy sometimes'

ethiostar

Reaction score
May 18, 2007

I'm a bit behind on my reading, so I just saw Cardinals RB Edgerrin James' quote about ex-teammate Leonard "Bigg" Davis in the recent issue of ESPN The Magazine. Here it is:
"Leonard is so big and, at times, the game is so easy for him. He can do whatever he wants whenever he wants -- when he sets his mind to it. He comes to work on time, and he takes care of his body. He's like Shaq -- he's bigger than everybody; he can bully everybody. If somebody gets him one play, then the next play he'll pretty much maul them. If you watch film, you won't see him get beat back-to-back. His weakness is he's too relaxed at times. Things come easily, and he'll take it easy sometimes."
Sounds like a case of a player who could use a tough-guy coach in the Bill Parcells mode to motivate him. We'll see if Wade Phillips' easygoing style will work.

Posted by Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 3:15 PM (E-mail this entry)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
ethiostar;1502973 said:
May 18, 2007

I'm a bit behind on my reading, so I just saw Cardinals RB Edgerrin James' quote about ex-teammate Leonard "Bigg" Davis in the recent issue of ESPN The Magazine. Here it is:
"Leonard is so big and, at times, the game is so easy for him. He can do whatever he wants whenever he wants -- when he sets his mind to it. He comes to work on time, and he takes care of his body. He's like Shaq -- he's bigger than everybody; he can bully everybody. If somebody gets him one play, then the next play he'll pretty much maul them. If you watch film, you won't see him get beat back-to-back. His weakness is he's too relaxed at times. Things come easily, and he'll take it easy sometimes."
Sounds like a case of a player who could use a tough-guy coach in the Bill Parcells mode to motivate him. We'll see if Wade Phillips' easygoing style will work.

Posted by Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 3:15 PM (E-mail this entry)

This was posted before...but when you play for a losing team like the Cards maybe you are not as motivated to go all out?

When he sees the tradition of the DALLAS COWBOYS...he will produce!

;)

Mansta54

Reaction score
I think Sparano will stay on his arse enough to keep him motivated..

tunahelper

Reaction score
This is something to worry about!

The talk about he was a Cardinal, so he was lazy is not acceptable.

A great player stays self motivated! If you are six years in the league and a coach needs to remind you to hussle, a champion you are not!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tunahelper;1503027 said:
This is something to worry about!

The talk about he was a Cardinal, so he was lazy is not acceptable.

A great player stays self motivated! If you are six years in the league and a coach needs to remind you to hussle, a champion you are not!
I think it's pretty safe to say that Davis is not a great player.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
5Stars;1502979 said:
This was posted before...but when you play for a losing team like the Cards maybe you are not as motivated to go all out?

When he sees the tradition of the DALLAS COWBOYS...he will produce!

;)
At least we all hope so.........

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The nflnetwork has repeated a couple of his games and he did dominate his guy from basically play to play. He had trouble (at LT) when he was in a pass set, he just didn't quite have the quickness when the DE knew it was a pass. In the running game he was excellent and moved around real well, the Cards coaches just didn't run behind him as much as they should have imo. The rest of his line flat out sucked.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
per Spags

One more here, Davis, the guy who pocketed a $16 million signing bonus and is moving from left tackle to right guard. Man, you should have seen him, at like 363-365, pulling on a screen. Might have to rename the play "eclipse." Now I previously was told he has trouble pulling and playing in space, and that he has slow feet. Now I know this wasn't in pads, but, he sure seemed to get out on that poor linebacker pretty well. "I just found out you shouldn't get him angry," Sparano said. And Tony, pray tell how you found out? "Push the right buttons," Sparano said. "I think he's got a pretty good edge when he plays."

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87983

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1503163 said:
per Spags

One more here, Davis, the guy who pocketed a $16 million signing bonus and is moving from left tackle to right guard. Man, you should have seen him, at like 363-365, pulling on a screen. Might have to rename the play "eclipse." Now I previously was told he has trouble pulling and playing in space, and that he has slow feet. Now I know this wasn't in pads, but, he sure seemed to get out on that poor linebacker pretty well. "I just found out you shouldn't get him angry," Sparano said. And Tony, pray tell how you found out? "Push the right buttons," Sparano said. "I think he's got a pretty good edge when he plays."

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87983
I have no doubt that he's more excited and motivated right now than he ever has been. But it's Week 13 in the 3rd quarter when we've got a slight lead and we're trying to put the game away that I'm worried about.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
a change of scenery and a winning atmosphere should do him good, even if "winning atmosphere" is 9 games

being extremely talented and on a bad team is deadly for production

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Mansta54;1502990 said:
I think Sparano will stay on his arse enough to keep him motivated..

Sure he will. Sparano was the real intimidator on O last year. Everyone knows that.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Parcells used to talk about these kind of guys all the time when talking about Flo. They make it all the way through high school and college just being bigger than everyone else and they get lazy habits.

Sometimes I wonder if he still doesn't grade out higher than everyone else, but gets over criticized because he's held to a higher standard because of his size.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;1503175 said:
a change of scenery and a winning atmosphere should do him good, even if "winning atmosphere" is 9 games
Or 11 or 12.....

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
That is why he is considered a bust by everyone except us and longhorn fans.

Reaction score
I think Davis wanted out of Arizona, he's come home so we'll see how he plays in 2007. I believe he will dominant this year.