Edge on Bigg: 'He takes it easy sometimes'

Big D

Reaction score
tunahelper;1503027 said:
This is something to worry about!

The talk about he was a Cardinal, so he was lazy is not acceptable.

A great player stays self motivated! If you are six years in the league and a coach needs to remind you to hussle, a champion you are not!

If you are six years in the league playing for the cardinals, a champion you are not!

GlitzCowboy

Reaction score
ethiostar;1502973 said:
May 18, 2007

Sounds like a case of a player who could use a tough-guy coach in the Bill Parcells mode to motivate him. We'll see if Wade Phillips' easygoing style will work.

I'd say that would be more Romo's job. A good QB (saying Romo is about to become that) has to have his eye on every player around him and making sure they're all ready to play throughout the game on every snap.

I truly think Romo's up-attitude has to be a benefit to all of those around him in the huddle. I doubt people really fall asleep much when he's around.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;1503163 said:
per Spags

One more here, Davis, the guy who pocketed a $16 million signing bonus and is moving from left tackle to right guard. Man, you should have seen him, at like 363-365, pulling on a screen. Might have to rename the play "eclipse." Now I previously was told he has trouble pulling and playing in space, and that he has slow feet. Now I know this wasn't in pads, but, he sure seemed to get out on that poor linebacker pretty well. "I just found out you shouldn't get him angry," Sparano said. And Tony, pray tell how you found out? "Push the right buttons," Sparano said. "I think he's got a pretty good edge when he plays."

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87983
www.sptimes.com_2003_06_23_photos_xprs-hulk.jpg_SPLASH.jpg

:pray:

ethiostar

Reaction score
DallasEast;1503951 said:

Like i've suggested in another thread, they should allow L.Davis to play without his helmet. That should be able to scare any D lineman or linebacker from trying to block him. Can you imagine him pulling behind Kosier and having Deon Anderson come behind him picking up the pieces and creating a hole the size of the grand canyon for Jujo or MBIII to run through? :eek:

I can not wait for the season...... the pass rush.......the running game...... RW's classic hits (now that he will have more chances to do so).... Romo connecting with TG, TO, Crayton, Witten......... have mercy!!!!!!!!

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Psssst....All lineman both D and O take it easy sometimes.

But fans don't like hearing that.

MossBurner

Reaction score
He's got several million reasons to be motivated now...or will that make him even more relaxed with no big payday left?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1503182 said:
Sometimes I wonder if he still doesn't grade out higher than everyone else, but gets over criticized because he's held to a higher standard because of his size.

Exactly.

News flash: If Davis were more talented than everyone else and had the most intensity every play, he'd be an all-time great. We know he's not that... But maybe he's just very good. I'll take that any day.

I mean, look at what Edge said... He compared his physical talent to that of Shaq. That in itself says a lot. It's not like he was comparing him to Shawn Bradley.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MossBurner;1504112 said:
He's got several million reasons to be motivated now...or will that make him even more relaxed with no big payday left?
Money will only be part of his motivation. While it's true that he struggled at left tackle, he has been moved to right guard where he doesn't have to play in space and could potentially dominate. How's that for motivation?

TEK2000

Reaction score
If he takes it "easy" on every play, he's still a hell of a lot better than Marco Rivera.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
I probably would take it too if you were still going to make your dough even if your team is terrible; some players are just like that... Takeo Spikes and Corey Dillon were able to play superbly even though the Cincinnati teams they were are were horrid because they had some self-respect...Maybe Bigg is just not like that, and that he is like Randy Moss who needs to be in the thick of it all winning to play hard. I don't care either way, because we are going to be competetive so Bigg shouldn't have a problem taking plays off. I think he wants to prove something.

Another thing; Bigg was drafted when the Cardinals Organization was absolutely terrible; the owners over there are embarrasing...I mean they just got direct deposit for its players. I've said this over and over again. Bigg didn't probably give a damn.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1503182 said:
Parcells used to talk about these kind of guys all the time when talking about Flo. They make it all the way through high school and college just being bigger than everyone else and they get lazy habits.

Sometimes I wonder if he still doesn't grade out higher than everyone else, but gets over criticized because he's held to a higher standard because of his size.

Great point...Flozell sucks; people need to understand that. He could have had a great career as a guard...But then again it would be very hard for a qb to see the middle of the field unless he was like 6'4.

jimmy40

Reaction score
5Stars;1502979 said:
This was posted before...but when you play for a losing team like the Cards maybe you are not as motivated to go all out?

When he sees the tradition of the DALLAS COWBOYS...he will produce!

;)
This is what happens when your 6-5 340 in class A high school. Leonard has always taken plays off. ALWAYS. This has nothing to do with playing for the Cardinals. We just have to hope he doesn't get Romo killed on one of his off plays.
Like TEK said, it's still better than Rivera.

montgod

Reaction score
5Stars;1502979 said:
This was posted before...but when you play for a losing team like the Cards maybe you are not as motivated to go all out?

When he sees the tradition of the DALLAS COWBOYS...he will produce!

;)

Very true indeed! There is no doubt in my mind that the atmosphere of the Dallas Cowboys will make Leonard Davis produce and go to the Pro Bowl this year!

Sincerely,

Marcus Wiley

superpunk

Reaction score
Wow....Tony Sparano love in this thread.

What a difference one year and one Marc Colombo makes...

sago1

Reaction score
You all forget that biggest motivator of them all--besides money--is the fact that he will now be playing in front of his family and friends every week whether at Dallas or on the road. The last thing he would want is to have the media criticize his play where his family could hear it every night during the football season. What does he say to his mama if he takes off a play and Romo gets hurt or we fall to pick up yardage running behind him and don't score as a result?

Also Cowboys have a very strong winning tradition. Admittedly we haven't done well since the 90s SB years but our 9-7 record last year, while totally unacceptable to all of this board, is light years ahead of anything he's seen with the Cards. Davis will be present in the lockerroom/field whenever Jerry Jones about winning SBs and the NFC championship & Davis, seeing those Lombardi Trophies and SB pennants, will understand it's not just talk.

In other words, he's now playing for a team that routinely has high expectations and doesn't end up settling for 4-6 wins but demands at least 10wins. For the first time in his career he's playing for a team that will have a winning record at season's end. Just hope he doesn't have a heart ache due to shock of it all.

sago1

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that Davis probably not used to the media attention the Cowboys receive. He was probably surprised there was an estimated 60+ reporters at minicamp--wonder if more then 10 media types ever attented Cards practices/minicamps? When he's a part of such an intense focus, he should really be jacked up most of the time. Hopefully he's not going to want to let his family done playing in such a spotlight.

Flozel might have responded better if he also constantly played in front of his family and friends. It's funny his first few years, there was little complaint about his lack of motivation. Gotta wonder if those Campo 5-11 years took a mental toll which even Parcells couldn't totally overcome. I know Aikman in Flozel's first year just raved about his performance/work habits.

superpunk

Reaction score
sago1;1504693 said:
You all forget that biggest motivator of them all--besides money--is the fact that he will now be playing in front of his family and friends every week whether at Dallas or on the road. The last thing he would want is to have the media criticize his play where his family could hear it every night during the football season. What does he say to his mama if he takes off a play and Romo gets hurt or we fall to pick up yardage running behind him and don't score as a result?

Also Cowboys have a very strong winning tradition. Admittedly we haven't done well since the 90s SB years but our 9-7 record last year, while totally unacceptable to all of this board, is light years ahead of anything he's seen with the Cards. Davis will be present in the lockerroom/field whenever Jerry Jones about winning SBs and the NFC championship & Davis, seeing those Lombardi Trophies and SB pennants, will understand it's not just talk.

In other words, he's now playing for a team that routinely has high expectations and doesn't end up settling for 4-6 wins but demands at least 10wins. For the first time in his career he's playing for a team that will have a winning record at season's end. Just hope he doesn't have a heart ache due to shock of it all.

I'm hopeful, and you can't help but admire his physical talent, but oftentimes players just are what they are. Bigg may just be an enormously talented inconsistent player. I certainly hope he's a better fit inside at guard than at tackle. But after a few years in the league, I don't know how much these intangibles are going to make a difference. I think the best that we can hope for is that our system is a better fit for his skill-set than Arizona's.

ENGCowboy

Reaction score
One thing you guys forgot is who hell be sat next to everyday all season, Gurode and Colombo have both learnt the hard way how to work hard to get what they want that work ethic should rub of on the big man. These guys know the value of a second chance and wont let Davis ruin theirs.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
So this begs the question...

What percentage of players in the NFL go "all out" on EVERY, SINGLE, PLAY?

If you come out with a percentage oh 98% or better I will buy everyone on the forum a Mercedes Benz.

Look, reality is.... If you do something 100 times... chances are you will not go all out 100 times...

Too much is being made of this with "Bigg" IMO