Electric Shavers

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Five years ago, I switched to an Phillips Norelco electric shaver and got a cheaper one as I was unsure if I would like electric.

It bit the dust today.

I need to replace it and do not miss using shaving cream and spending $800 for 2.5 razor cartridges, so I’m sticking with electric.

What do you use (if you’d recommend it)?

Or what would you not recommend if you wouldn’t mind sharing?

I need to replace it soon as I’m unable to shave until I do so. I’ve got about a week to decide (I’m working from home this week to avoid buying it before I know what to buy).

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I usually just buy a cheap Norelco, around the $40 range and use it until it doesn’t shave well anymore. I get good use for about a year then throw it away and get another. I have spent a lot of money on a top one but don’t see much of a difference to spend that kind of money that might last just a touch longer.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I usually just buy a cheap Norelco, around the $40 range and use it until it doesn’t shave well anymore. I get good use for about a year then throw it away and get another. I have spent a lot of money on a top one but don’t see much of a difference to spend that kind of money that might last just a touch longer.

Mine lasted five years. It was a Black Friday special, I think 70 or 80. Lower end of things.

Excellent bang for its buck.

I figured if I got a nicer one it would last somewhere in that neighborhood. Wanted one with a self cleaning system.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mine lasted five years. It was a Black Friday special, I think 70 or 80. Lower end of things.

Excellent bang for its buck.

I figured if I got a nicer one it would last somewhere in that neighborhood. Wanted one with a self cleaning system.

The one I have now is going on 2 years but not shaving as well as it has. I might get a self-cleaning soon but with my luck....it will last less than two years :laugh:

CashMan

Reaction score
Five years ago, I switched to an Phillips Norelco electric shaver and got a cheaper one as I was unsure if I would like electric.

It bit the dust today.

I need to replace it and do not miss using shaving cream and spending $800 for 2.5 razor cartridges, so I’m sticking with electric.

What do you use (if you’d recommend it)?

Or what would you not recommend if you wouldn’t mind sharing?

I need to replace it soon as I’m unable to shave until I do so. I’ve got about a week to decide (I’m working from home this week to avoid buying it before I know what to buy).

If the razor worked and you liked it, re-buy the same one.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You can buy new heads for them a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can buy new heads for them a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

In some cases, the heads can go from $16 to $60, just depends on the razor. I have tried that route but I will gladly pay $10 more for a shiny, new razor. I am savage like that :lmao:

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
If the razor worked and you liked it, re-buy the same one.

I’m not sure they make it anymore... it was a model specifically for Kohl’s. Also, it didn’t have the self cleaning system, which I want knowing that electric works for me. I was unwilling to spend for it the first time around since I thought there was a decent chance I’d go back to the manual razor and shaving cream route.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I have used a Braun self cleaning razor for the last 10-15 years. I am on my second one. Just have to buy a new head for it every year.

Mind sharing which one?

If it’s a foil shaver, how do you like it? I’ve only used a rotary for electric.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Mind sharing which one?

If it’s a foil shaver, how do you like it? I’ve only used a rotary for electric.
I have a Braun foil shaver, but I only use it for around my goatee, because it only shaves the short hairs, and it makes it easier to keep the shape without accidentally shaving what I want to keep. It also has multiple attachments for trimming, and nose and ear hair.

nobody

Reaction score
I've never found an electric shaver that gets as close as a blade, but my Remington foil shaver seems to do a pretty good job and holds a charge for a long time.

A couple of my friends swear by their straight razors as they never have to buy new blades or worry about anything other than occasionally sharpening them.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've never found an electric shaver that gets as close as a blade, but my Remington foil shaver seems to do a pretty good job and holds a charge for a long time.

A couple of my friends swear by their straight razors as they never have to buy new blades or worry about anything other than occasionally sharpening them.

That's my problem with electrics. They simply don't shave as close as a razor.

I have a Remington foil shaver too and use it a couple times a week.

BTW you can get a 12 pack of double-blade razors at Family Dollar for like $3 and their brand shave cream for about a buck.

Tough to beat.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's what I do.

If I need a close shave for something, I go to the ol' razor.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Too many choices but I would go with norelco 9000 prestige made by philips or braun series 9. both great as all-purpose shavers.
stick to Rotary shavers they are known to eliminate hair in difficult areas.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perfect timing, you can get that Norelco that Santa is riding down the little snow covered hills, always wanted that one. Better than shaving with that disc Clark Griswold rides down the hill.

I use a Braun Series 7 but not on my face, use it on my neck and a Norelco trimmer on my head and goat and a Gillette safety razor on my face. What a pain, they should just make a Nair for Men dip that we can lower our faces/heads into and be done with it. Couldn't wait to shave as a kid and now it's such a ridiculous task, like mowing the yard. It's growing back.

I like the scruffy look because that's how I feel inside and our outward appearance should reflect our inner scruffy soul. I tried growing a beard and people kept giving me money and asking me if I had a place to stay so that's out. Hell being a man and dealing with this shaving thing but it surely beats what women have to deal with their self maintenance. They wax something I can't talk about here without getting into trouble. In fact, I don't know where I can talk about that without getting into trouble.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Too many choices but I would go with norelco 9000 prestige made by philips or braun series 9. both great as all-purpose shavers.
stick to Rotary shavers they are known to eliminate hair in difficult areas.
Rotary shavers are good if you shave your whole face, but if you have facial hair to shape, it's really difficult, especially below the nose.